Adapting existing campaign games to other battles.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But Iwo is unique. There is nothing like it recreated in ASL yet. (apart from UV). But something like Hungary or the docks of Shanghai *could* be represented by something ahistorical. After all who would know what the exact terrain was like in the Awakening Of Spring offensive or in Shanghai?

Deciding to create a HASL CG from scratch and deciding to improvise a HASL CG from existing components are two different things. One takes years to accomplish while the other can be assembled within weeks or even days.
Honza using another map and claiming its X place and calling it a HASL is in my view a short cut that severely tarnishes the end product. The much of the purpose of any HASL is to get at that 'uniqueness'....be it Iwo or what have you. The terrain matters.

Repurposing a HASL map for a geo style scenario b/c the terrain is approximate, as has been done on several occasions already, is a much more acceptable way to re-use a HASL map.

newege

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Real men only play RB.

But when they don't then they at least play other CG designed by certified Historians on the RB map using Russian and black German SS counters as substitutes for what ever the CG calls for. If it's not balanced just double the OB's until you get it right. If that fails then print your own leaflet rules and insist on precision dice and the IIFT.

:cool::D

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
But when they don't then they at least play other CG designed by certified Historians on the RB map using Russian and black German SS counters as substitutes for what ever the CG calls for. If it's not balanced just double the OB's until you get it right. If that fails then print your own leaflet rules and insist on precision dice and the IIFT.
You are reading my mind......

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
The city boards in Beyond Valor were designed from aerial photos of Warsaw, originally intended for an HASL on the ghetto fighting IIRC.
You mean the 3rd ed that includes boards 20-23... What about the SL/ASL boards 1-4, any historical basis for them?

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thought about using ABtF map for a hypothetical Dutch-German 1940 mini CG,where the Germans come in from the north to capture the bridge from Dutch defenders. Never got around to doing this.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean the 3rd ed that includes boards 20-23... What about the SL/ASL boards 1-4, any historical basis for them?
blank hex boards taken from TAHGC parts department pre-printed stock, add some glued on colored construction paper to form the base colorations, then use rub-on transfer buildings and trees and roads from 1970's architectural drawing supply warehouses that could be ordered or picked up at the supply store in 6 or 12 sheet multi-packs.

I think that is approximately the historical basis for the creation of board 1 ,2,3, and 4 from the original SL in the purple box :). (IIRC).

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
blank hex boards taken from TAHGC parts department pre-printed stock, add some glued on colored construction paper to form the base colorations, then use rub-on transfer buildings and trees and roads from 1970's architectural drawing supply warehouses that could be ordered or picked up at the supply store in 6 or 12 sheet multi-packs.

I think that is approximately the historical basis for the creation of board 1 ,2,3, and 4 from the original SL in the purple box :). (IIRC).
I think they are all hand painted. I have the original 1/2 board overlay from AP 1 and it is all painted and each building was painted on cardboard and mounted to the board.

I did some hand drafting in the early 1990s and used all the chart packs you discussed above so I can see some of the trickery done . The woods are definitely contact sheets. A friend of mine was an art student in Baltimore and he remembers AH used to hire students for cheap to do counter art and such for them!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Honestly, I mean the 1st edition that I got for Christmas in 1986. Actually, the city boards came out earlier than that, I bought copies of 20, 21, 22 and 23 at West Edmonton Mall about a year before I got my ASLRB. Saw them in a hobby shop there, and snatched them up. No idea they were coming out in Beyond Valor, so when I got my BV, I took a black permanent marker and added the letter "B" after the board numbers. I now have so many duplicates of so many boards, I don't bother trying to designate them.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they are all hand painted. I have the original 1/2 board overlay from AP 1 and it is all painted and each building was painted on cardboard and mounted to the board.

I did some hand drafting in the early 1990s and used all the chart packs you discussed above so I can see some of the trickery done . The woods are definitely contact sheets. A friend of mine was an art student in Baltimore and he remembers AH used to hire students for cheap to do counter art and such for them!
True but AP 1 publication date was 1997, some decades after the 1977 release of board 1,2,3 ad 4 in Squad Leader.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yup, either Chartpak or Letraset Zip-a-Tone. Love the watercolor look of the sidewalks of board 1. I've assumed that the prints were from photos of the board artwork because on either original board 10 or 11 you can see shadows of brush strokes.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Honestly, I mean the 1st edition that I got for Christmas in 1986. Actually, the city boards came out earlier than that, I bought copies of 20, 21, 22 and 23 at West Edmonton Mall about a year before I got my ASLRB. Saw them in a hobby shop there, and snatched them up. No idea they were coming out in Beyond Valor, so when I got my BV, I took a black permanent marker and added the letter "B" after the board numbers. I now have so many duplicates of so many boards, I don't bother trying to designate them.
I bought boards 8,10 and 11 at a model store before G.I. and ASL came out.