The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Hi,
I see some rules which say that, when an activated S? does not perform a concealment-loss activity, the units remain concealed :
  • S3.32 ADVANCE ATTITUDE, case d
  • S5.3 under MANDATORY ENEMY ATTACK : "each non-firing unit remains concealed"
I presume that 5.3 is the decisive text to confirm that a unit which is Activated is concealed at the time of its activation unless it fires?
For example, during a FRIENDLY APh (when table {x1} triggers Activation checks).

Am I right here, even though 5.3 speaks of Defensive First Fire?

If I am right, why isn't that important fact not listed under 5.1 general rule as the normal situation of activated S? units?
The answer will persumably be more an appreciation of how the rules are written: I always find annoying when important aspects of a rule are spelled in special case paragraphs...

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Hi,
I see some rules which say that, when an activated S? does not perform a concealment-loss activity, the units remain concealed :
  • S3.32 ADVANCE ATTITUDE, case d
  • S5.3 under MANDATORY ENEMY ATTACK : "each non-firing unit remains concealed"
I presume that 5.3 is the decisive text to confirm that a unit which is Activated is concealed at the time of its activation unless it fires?
For example, during a FRIENDLY APh (when table {x1} triggers Activation checks).

Am I right here, even though 5.3 speaks of Defensive First Fire?

If I am right, why isn't that important fact not listed under 5.1 general rule as the normal situation of activated S? units?
The answer will persumably be more an appreciation of how the rules are written: I always find annoying when important aspects of a rule are spelled in special case paragraphs...
What I think it means is that if an S? is activated in the Friendly Movement Phase but, for whatever reason, doesn't/can't fire then it remains concealed. I don't have the rule book at a hand so I can not double check that.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
S5.3 means that indeed.
But I wonder why the principle that an Activated S? is placed concealed if it doesn't make a concealment-loss actitivity is not expressed as a general rule.
Why does one have to unearth it in a paragraph specific to Defensive First Fire?

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm guessing it might be because you typically activate S? during your MPh, based off the nationality activation ranges.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
S5.3 means that indeed.
But I wonder why the principle that an Activated S? is placed concealed if it doesn't make a concealment-loss actitivity is not expressed as a general rule.
Why does one have to unearth it in a paragraph specific to Defensive First Fire?
I'm thinking that may be the only time it would apply.

1. If they activate due to an attack by a Friendly unit/stack, the attack has caused at least a PTC so concealment would be lost anyways.
  2. If they activate in their movement phase, then they have committed a concealment loss activity.
  3. But if activated during the Friendly Movement phase and can't fire, then you would need a rule on the concealment.
Might be an exception to 1 - if you activate a fortification and that caused a change in the attack's result to a no effect.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
And when activated during the FRIENDLY APh (due to DRM and proximity)?

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
And when activated during the FRIENDLY APh (due to DRM and proximity)?
Forgot about that when I wrote my response...

I know I've always played it that if an S? is activated do to Friendly movement and the Enemy units can't/don't fire then they are concealed. Where I read that I can not remember. I may have just assumed it from 5.3. When I get the chance I'm going to look through the rules again.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's how I play it as well. Mind you it won't matter much because on the next PFPh the unit will likely be firing anyways.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
That's how I play it as well. Mind you it won't matter much because on the next PFPh the unit will likely be firing anyways.
I am not sure.
No S? is activated during the PFPh: only revealed units roll the Action DR.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am not sure.
No S? is activated during the PFPh: only revealed units roll the Action DR.
I meant that the S? you activated during the preceding APh will most likely be firing during its next PFPh, so concealing it might be moot.