Actionjick Takes His Lumps

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A running commentary of a completely impossible to win game of Civilization 3, Play the World will start tonight. Dedicated to Robin Reeve and to teach me to not be a braggadocio jick.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A game of Civilization 3 Play the World. I am the Americans along with ten other randomly selected civilizations, raging barbarians and climate, world age and land mass types all random.
The year is 1650 AD and while I am expanding my territory satisfactorily I am way behind on Civilization Advances. A problem to be sure. I'm on a very large island with the Aztecs on the western side, the Iroquois in the middle and me on the east.
The Aztecs suddenly appeared off of my coast with a modern battleship and transport. I have galleys, catapults and my best unit are knights.

The first time this occurred the Aztecs successfully landed three Modern Infantry and one Medieval Infantry. I attacked this force with twenty Knights. After three turns the Aztecs were eliminated at the cost of sixteen dead Knights and the remaining four down to one red bar, in other words next to being dead. Not good.

I decided that the attacking strategy was not going to work as I had significantly depleted my main offensive force, the Knights. I was unable to create more as the only resource of horses was lost when the city that controlled it deposed my governor and flipped to the Iroquois. Things were not going well for me.

I conceded that version to the AI and went back a couple turns prior to the Aztecs landing to try a different approach to thwarting their agression. An example of replaying the same scenario again and again to try out different ideas. Something I have always beena big advocate of.

Until a Civilization develops the Amphibious Warfare Advancement seaborne troops cannot land on a square that is occupied by non friendly units. So I occupied every square accessible to the Aztec transport and waited to see if they were capable of Amphibious Warfare. Apparently they were not as they sailed further down the coast. I stayed one turn ahead of them with this occupation strategy until two more battleships and two transports arrived. I thought that I might be able to continue this for a while until four Aztec tanks arrived on my border with the Iroquois. The situation was almost certainly hopeless so I started another game, hoping to improve my skills at Civilization Advances which are no match for the AI.

Lol then Robin brought up a rather foolish statement of mine about being willing to play the extreme underdog if only for the glory. 🙄🙄🙄

So here we are. It is 1655 AD and the Aztec tanks have attacked and I am watching my hard built Civilization go down the toilet. Lol all because I jicked myself with a foolish statement. Oh well.

Anyway eighteen Aztec tanks are rolling over my pikemen, as is to be expected. More on this tomorrow. I don't mind getting my butt kicked but all this typing is interfering with the consumption of refreshments. 😋😋

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A game of Civilization 3 Play the World. I am the Americans along with ten other randomly selected civilizations, raging barbarians and climate, world age and land mass types all random.
The year is 1650 AD and while I am expanding my territory satisfactorily I am way behind on Civilization Advances. A problem to be sure. I'm on a very large island with the Aztecs on the western side, the Iroquois in the middle and me on the east.
The Aztecs suddenly appeared off of my coast with a modern battleship and transport. I have galleys, catapults and my best unit are knights.

The first time this occurred the Aztecs successfully landed three Modern Infantry and one Medieval Infantry. I attacked this force with twenty Knights. After three turns the Aztecs were eliminated at the cost of sixteen dead Knights and the remaining four down to one red bar, in other words next to being dead. Not good.

I decided that the attacking strategy was not going to work as I had significantly depleted my main offensive force and was unable to create more as the only resource of horses was lost when the city that controlled it deposed my governor and flipped to the Iroquois. Things were not going well for me.

I conceded that version to the AI and went back a couple turns prior to the Aztecs landing to try a different approach to thwarting their agression. An example of replaying the same scenario again and again to try out different ideas. Something I have always beena big advocate of.

Until a Civilization develops the Amphibious Warfare Advancement seaborne troops cannot land on a square that is occupied by non friendly units. So I occupied every square accessible to the Aztec transport and waited to see if they were capable of Amphibious Warfare. Apparently they were not as they sailed further down the coast. I stayed one turn ahead of them with this occupation strategy until two more battleships and two transports arrived. I thought that I might be able to continue this for a while until four Aztec tanks arrived on my border with the Iroquois. The situation was almost certainly hopeless so I started another game, hoping to improve my skills at Civilization Advances which are no match for the AI.

Lol then Robin brought up a rather foolish statement of mine about being willing to play the extreme underdog if only for the glory. 🙄🙄🙄

So here we are. It is 1655 AD and the Aztec tanks have attacked and I am watching my hard built Civilization go down the toilet. Lol all because I jicked myself! Oh well.

Anyway eighteen Aztec tanks are rolling over my pikemen, as is to be expected. More on this tomorrow. I don't mind getting my butt kicked but all this typing is interfering with the consumption of refreshments. 😋😋
Robin that Pz 1b is looking better all the time!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The situation as it was 1655 A.D and a few turns after. At this stage each turn represents five years, Picture quality is not great as I took them off the monitor with an old digital camera. The OMOOT doesn't know how to do screen shots. Or even if it is possible. Picture quality is much better than my propects of victory.

Attachments

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The situation as it was 1655 A.D and a few turns after. At this stage each turn represents five years, Picture quality is not great as I took them off the monitor with an old digital camera. The OMOOT doesn't know how to do screen shots. Or even if it is possible. Picture quality is much better than my propects of victory.
Note in the first picture that Eagle4ty is now an Iroquois city. They deposed my Governor and flipped over to the Iroquois. 😥

All the cities that I am the founder of are named after ASL players, notables, etc. Cities that I capture keep the original name but with the prefix " Jick ".

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
1680 and my forces are in full retreat, heading for a last stand in Festung Jick. I have been selling off all City improvements and then abandoning the cities which destroys the city. Scorch and burn. A few places sacrificed themselves as rearguard but the Aztecs have landed near Jick.

Every other Civilization has declared war on me which is just frosting on the cake as the Aztecs and Iroquois are more than adequate to do the job.

The only place I am on the offensive is a small island on my extreme north coast. I had taken it from the Iroquois much earlier but the largest city flipped back to the Iroquois. I was abandoning the island and evacuating the rather sizable force that I had on it when the bold sacrifice of two galleys against an Iroquois Frigate allowed me to attempt to take that Iroquois city and perhaps negotiate a peace treaty. Lol not that that will help.

My a$$ is grass and the Aztecs are the lawnmower.

More tomorrow. Work is kicking my butt. Seventeen inches of snow in twelve hours followed by another blizzard has made it very difficult to just walk around the property. Whatever. The OMOOT is tired.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Lessons were learned,besides not to be such a jick braggadocio, so it wasn't a total waste of 92 plus hours.

I won't go into details but sailing the two galleys into the inland lake through the seaport of Doberville was kind of a cool jick move. After I abandoned and destroyed Doberville the galleys couldn't be sunk until someone built another seaport city that had access to the lake.

I'm not sure what that does for the victory conditions I play but something to remember. Although there is a capture the Princess victory condition or somesuch that I have never played. 🤔

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The attempt to retake the small island in the north was a total failure. Catapults and knights were no match for the one Musketman and one Modern Infantry that held the city.☹

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Since this foray of mine into " the impossible to win " scenario has ended I will go back to the game I was playing beforehand. Still on the Emperor level of difficulty although the Civilizations that handed me such a beating suggested that I go back to the Chieftain level. The easiest level. Deity is the hardest but it will be a long time before I tackle that.