Acquisition counter wont link to weapon

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I cannot connect acquisition counters to guns using the control-alt-L keys. My opponents can, but I cannot. I though this was built into VASL now. Is it an extension?

kind regards

Bill

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You are right it is part of vasl. When selecting the veh/gun and acq counters is anything else being selected? That will prevent linking.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
huh I never knew this was a thing.........

Gotta try it out

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It could also be the which keys you are using. I have noticed that using the RHS ctrl-alt-L does not work for me. I have to use the LHS Ctrl-Alt-L combination. I have noticed this is true for some of the other commands.

Colin

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing to be careful about: the link can create the effect of having a permanent LOS check on the counters. Imagine that you link a target, then as the target moves the link acts as a moving LOS.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One thing to be careful about: the link can create the effect of having a permanent LOS check on the counters. Imagine that you link a target, then as the target moves the link acts as a moving LOS.
Only if you move the Acquisition counter together with the Target (you'd have to do a LOS check to see if the ACQ follow anyways?)

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It could also be the which keys you are using. I have noticed that using the RHS ctrl-alt-L does not work for me. I have to use the LHS Ctrl-Alt-L combination. I have noticed this is true for some of the other commands.

Colin
Colin nailed it! I am left handed, so tend to use my right hand for that type of thing! works perfectly using the left Ctrl-Alt-L !!

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I use both my left and right hands to type Ctrl-Alt-L! What does that mean...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But I use both my left and right hands to type Ctrl-Alt-L! What does that mean...
I use my cat for the combination, which delights to stomp over the keyboard.

Even auto-LOS is thus not an issue, since I can only see black fur instead of the battlefield.

Go figure...

von Marwitz

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Yeah, Not a big fan of this. LOS is a big part of the game.
IT would be different in a LOS free game which ASL isn't

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In my fantasy world I'd just right click a gun/vehicle and pick "Create Acq" and a linked one appears on top of it.

In this same fantasy world I also think every roll will be snakeyes. 😁
Yes. And if the veh/gun has a label then the acq should have the same label. I am working on this but progress has been slow. Feels like it should be doable.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would not give the Gun's/Vehicle label to the Acquisition counter for two reasons:
  • the link function frees players from the chore of adding labels to the Guns/Vehicles: reintroducing their need is a step back.
  • labels are often used to indicate depletion of special ammo or SSR related stuff.
If a player really wants to add a label to his Acquisition counter, they already can do it: don't make it automtaic for everybody.

Bte, we already have ugly labels on some system markers (such as Compass or Wind), and the red CA markings: ot seems you tend to add such features a lot.
I personally prefer not to implement too many - even though I appreciate the "Bad things" and Berserk/Hero/Fanatic ones.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would not give the Gun's/Vehicle label to the Acquisition counter for two reasons:
  • the link function frees players from the chore of adding labels to the Guns/Vehicles: reintroducing their need is a step back.
My thought would be that a label would copied to the acq only if such a label existing already on the Gun/Veh. So, if you are like me and never give names to your AFVs then you will never be bothered by a label on your corresponding acq counter. Totally agree that it would be insane to make people have to add a label.
  • labels are often used to indicate depletion of special ammo or SSR related stuff.
This is a good point. I agree that we wouldn't want to copy these to the acq counter.
If a player really wants to add a label to his Acquisition counter, they already can do it: don't make it automtaic for everybody.
I think you are right.
Bte, we already have ugly labels on some system markers (such as Compass or Wind), and the red CA markings: ot seems you tend to add such features a lot.
I personally prefer not to implement too many - even though I appreciate the "Bad things" and Berserk/Hero/Fanatic ones.
Beauty is in the eye of the . . . .

I get this a lot . . . "make the changes I like and don't make the ones I don't like". Not really all that helpful. LOL! Sometimes you have to try stuff to see if people like it or not.