Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Of course, it goes without saying that my opinion is subjective and stems from my practice of the game.
And I confess that I have conservative slant of mind.
I also understand that, as a programmer, you love to try things.
Have it your way, then.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I was answering your right remark that my comments were subjective, thus debatable.
And I accept that.
So do things as you want. No problem.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would not give the Gun's/Vehicle label to the Acquisition counter for two reasons:
  • the link function frees players from the chore of adding labels to the Guns/Vehicles: reintroducing their need is a step back.
  • labels are often used to indicate depletion of special ammo or SSR related stuff.
If a player really wants to add a label to his Acquisition counter, they already can do it: don't make it automtaic for everybody.

Bte, we already have ugly labels on some system markers (such as Compass or Wind), and the red CA markings: ot seems you tend to add such features a lot.
I personally prefer not to implement too many - even though I appreciate the "Bad things" and Berserk/Hero/Fanatic ones.
I'd blow into a different horn.

I think that the automatic takeover of the label of the firing Gun would be an improvement and not a step back.
- If you don't want to label your guns/vehicles, no one forces you to do so. And if you don't, then the AQ will not get automatically labelled either. So for your preferences, this is a non-issue.

Personally, I do like the increasing options to use all sorts of Labels to unit-counters in an attempt to reduce function counters (i.e. for Malfunction, Berserk, Fanatic, Wounds etc.). These are great IMHO! Again, all these mini-flags are not mandatory to be used. VASL allows anyone who prefers it to use the old 'conventional' counters to mark units accordingly. But by offering the flags, any preference can be covered - which is more than the possibility to cover only some preferences.

With regard to Special Ammo:
In my experience, the most common VASL practice is to note depleted Special Ammo on the regular Label of the unit.

Example:
You have a Platoon of Pz IVs, the first one is (for those who like it...) labelled 'A'.
After that Pz IV exhausts its APCR, it is labelled 'A - noAPCR', if it also exhausts SMOKE, it would be labelled 'A - noAPCR, S'

Personally, I would find merit in the idea to implement flags (like for Malfunction) for the depletion of Special Ammo as well.

But there is the valid point of "too many flags on that tank".

Now here is the idea:

Some flags should always remain visible on the counter (Fanatic, Berserk, Wound).
Some Labels should always remain visible on the counter (the 'top' one)

Other Labels could - by option possibly switched on/off - only show on a mouse-over.

Example:
You have the Pz IV 'A' which has a malfed AAMG, No SMOKE, No APCR, which is Bogged, and has Acquired some hex.

It is shown on the map as Pz IV with the label 'A' on top and the Bog-flag.
When you do a mouse-over on that tank, the flags 'SMK' and 'APCR' pop up along with its Acquisition counter, which is labelled with 'A' and the flags 'SMK' and 'APCR'.

How's that?

As the whole thing could be turned on/off as an option, anybody could follow their personal preferences.
Furthermore, unless a mouse-over occurs, there would be no 'flag-clutter' for the unit.
And of course, there would be no counter clutter of dedicated function counters.

One might be able to fine-tune the options for flags:
  • use Malfunction flags (yes/no)
  • use Special Ammo flags (yes/no)
One difficulty that might arise is the following:
If one players activated the use of all the flags while the other one wants to use conventional function counters only, what would happen, if the latter pulled a fuction counter off a vehicle that the former player sees as flagged? If the latter pulled the MA Malf counter off a vehicle, probably the MA Malf flag should also go away I reckon.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
With regard to Special Ammo:
In my experience, the most common VASL practice is to note depleted Special Ammo on the regular Label of the unit.
You missed my point: if the linked Acq marker automatically inherits the regular label of the unit, it would be annoying and useless.

I agree that some indications such as malf, fanatuc, etc. are nice features.
Which I also expressed.
Of course, if you had read my post better, you would have noticed it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You missed my point: if the linked Acq marker automatically inherits the regular label of the unit, it would be annoying and useless.
No, I did not. I said that if you could turn on/off options to show labels/flags, then you could choose whether you would see the labels on the AQ or not.

Besides that the question of labels are annoying or not is moot, because it is matter of preference and not a matter of fact either way. You find them annoying and useless. I do not.

You missed my point:
Of course, if you had read my post better, you would have noticed it.
Robin, you tell me... :rolleyes:
I am not interested in that nitpicking.

I am interested to develop an approach that you can have it your way AND others at the same time can have it theirs by means of options to be implemented that can be turned on and off. I'd be happy and it might be more productive to year your ideas how that could be broght about.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

EJ1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only if you move the Acquisition counter together with the Target (you'd have to do a LOS check to see if the ACQ follow anyways?)
Yep, and think of the reverse as well. In DFF acquire the target, then in MPh move the firer, the LOS link tracks. Cheers

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The ACQ free los hack needs disabled.

Simply have a command that highlights the ACQ when vehicle is selected.... No LOS string.

Reactions: EJ1

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I don't play with large amounts of vehicles.

But if you like Prohk levels of armor, you aren't playing ASL...ACQ for 40 vehicles is just too much even if labeled.

Honestly most of the time you won't need to track labels... If I have 3 tanks and 1 isn't even in Los, I think I can keep track.

If not... I'd hate to experience rules retention in that game