Acquisition colour

The colour of your acquisition counters are:

• The same as my OB, because I never thought about it.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • The same as my OB, because it makes sense to me.

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Different from both OB to be more visible.

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We have a choice of many colours for VASL acquisition counters, yet I often see opponents choosing the colour that matches their OB. I prefer a colour that is neither side's OB to have them more easily recognized and to not be mistaken for units. I became curious to know numbers, hence this poll.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just have the red and blue counters because I don't want to carry all the colors in my kit. So, none of the above, I guess.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Using different ACQ colors for different weapon systems can make sense. So can blue tones for Germans, red tones for Russian commies, Green tones for USA, etc. I think you might want to restructure this poll to offer more comprehensive alternatives.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
From an aestethic perspective, it needs to be the nationality's color. In VASL, this is perfect, as one can easily label each Acquisition counter (and with VASL v6.4 you can even link the firer and the corresponding Aq-counter).

In FtF play, I use the nationality's counter unless there are too many different weapons that need AQ. Even there, I key AQ with ID-letters. Tanks get preferences, small MTRs would get the "other" colors.

von Marwitz

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would actually like to see more colors. Purple/Orange spring to mind, but whatever (EXC: pink). I typically use colors 'allied colors', but not the color or my actual troops.

For example: Germans use Finn colors for MTR, Italian for 75L ATG and Japanese for a 50L ATG.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In VASL, I use the same colour for all of a side's acquisition counters because I can label them. With real counters, I might pick colours by weapons.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
None of the above...

Two-tones acquisition counters with (primary) nationality colour as base colour, and a range of colour-coded borders that correspond to different weapon systems. For example: American green with red border for (AFV) MA, orange border for MTR, purple border for AT and and AFV SA, and pink border for ART, INF, RCL. One could even put identifying text on counters (e.g. "MTR" on acquisition counters with orange borders). This would make is easier to identity an acquisiton counter at a glance, often without having to resort to reading the ID letter.

Easy to implement in VASL. Harder to get MMP to sign off on.

US AT-SA Acquisition Counter.png

Last edited:

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course, with the counter linking feature in 6.4, you don't even need the label in most cases....
While I love the linking feature...I have found that when clicking on either the weapon or the ACQ that the line it draws seems way too much like stringing an LOS.

So I have to constantly remind myself NOT to move the ACQ to where I want to shoot next (until I actually do declare the shot) because I may inadvertently see that it is blocked.

So is it just me or is 'link line' off center or something so it doesn't matter?

Last edited:

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In VASL, I typically use nationality-color Acq and use labels to designate what's what. If there's a bunch of different weapon systems, I might use a few different colors (nationality for the tanks, blue for the MTRs, green for the other Guns, etc.). I do habitually do my Boresight markers in non-nationality colors to easily tell them apart.