Acquired Targets

DM Kevin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[C6.5] CASE N; ACQUIRED TARGET

1. Situation: My gun (using the Infantry Tgt Type) fires at, and breaks, an enemy squad occupying a Level 1 building location, gaining a 1/2" Acquired counter on that target.

During the RtPh, the acquired squad routs down to ground level (same hex) of the same building. My gun also has a LOS to this level. Then, during the APh an unbroken enemy squad advances to the Level 1 location previously occupied by the now-broken enemy squad.

Does my "Acquired" counter have to follow the broken enemy squad to its new ground-level location, or may I choose to have it remain in the Level 1 location?

2. Had I used the Area Target Type originally, I'm assuming that all the locations in that building hex would remain "acquired." As such, it wouldn't matter which location the 5/8" acquired counter occupies. Correct?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
[C6.5] CASE N; ACQUIRED TARGET

1. Situation: My gun (using the Infantry Tgt Type) fires at, and breaks, an enemy squad occupying a Level 1 building location, gaining a 1/2" Acquired counter on that target.

During the RtPh, the acquired squad routs down to ground level (same hex) of the same building. My gun also has a LOS to this level. Then, during the APh an unbroken enemy squad advances to the Level 1 location previously occupied by the now-broken enemy squad.

Does my "Acquired" counter have to follow the broken enemy squad to its new ground-level location, or may I choose to have it remain in the Level 1 location?

2. Had I used the Area Target Type originally, I'm assuming that all the locations in that building hex would remain "acquired." As such, it wouldn't matter which location the 5/8" acquired counter occupies. Correct?
1. Per C6.5, "The target remains acquired until [one or more of a long list of situations occur]." Since none of that long list of situations occurred, the target remains acquired and the acquisition must track the routing target.

Because acquisition must track, it is occasionally useful to Advance a less valuable unit out of a Location first before Advancing a more valuable unit into that Location to clear the Acquisition.

2. Per C6.521, Area Acquisition never tracks. So even if the routing unit left the hex, the Acquisition counter would remain. All levels are affected by the Area Acquisition.

JR

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In terms of bracketing someone was telling me at the OPEN that you can't switch from 1/2 to 5/8 acquire. Is that true or is that only if the transfer occurs vs a concealed unit?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C6.52 permits changing the acquisition type:

Acquisition DRM gained on one target/Target-Type can be transferred to another target/Target-Type when the firer announces a shot at-that-new-target/using-that-new-Target-Type, provided the target Location (or hex, if using the Area Target Type) remains the same during the transfer [EXC: Area Acquisition cannot be transferred to another Target Type and used vs a concealed unit (6.57), nor can a mortar transfer its Area Acquisition to another Target Type at all].
You just can't switch to the ITT or VTT and use the DRM against a concealed target.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
In terms of bracketing someone was telling me at the OPEN that you can't switch from 1/2 to 5/8 acquire. Is that true or is that only if the transfer occurs vs a concealed unit?
As quoted above, C6.52 says you actually have to announce a shot to switch between 1/2" and 5/8" acq. In other words, you cannot switch to Area (5/8") Acq in the rout/advance phase if/when a target unit leaves a hex and you want to maintain the acq in the empty hex/location.

Last edited:

DM Kevin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because acquisition must track, it is occasionally useful to Advance a less valuable unit out of a Location first before Advancing a more valuable unit into that Location to clear the Acquisition.
JR
Thanks, JR. A new tactic learned: "clearing acquisition."

:salute:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As quoted above, C6.52 says you actually have to announce a shot to switch between 1/2" and 5/8" acq. In other words, you cannot switch to Area (5/8") Acq in the rout/advance phase if/when a target unit leaves a hex and you want to maintain the acq in the empty hex/location.
Ok, if you have a (-2) 1/2" even if taking that shot at a concealed unit do you switch bracket or do you have to start over at (-1) 5/8"?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok, if you have a (-2) 1/2" even if taking that shot at a concealed unit do you switch bracket or do you have to start over at (-1) 5/8"?
The current DRM are transferred:

D6.52 "BRACKETING: Acquisition DRM gained on one target/Target-Type can be transferred to another target/Target-Type when the firer announces a shot at-that-new-target/using-that-new-Target-Type, provided the target Location (or hex, if using the Area Target Type) remains the same during the transfer".

JR

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
As JR points out, the level of Acq (-1/-2) is given the the different sized Acq counter.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the firing player does not switch to the 5/8" acquisition counter, the -2 from the 1/2" counter is NA to those concealed units.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1. Per C6.5, "The target remains acquired until [one or more of a long list of situations occur]." Since none of that long list of situations occurred, the target remains acquired and the acquisition must track the routing target.

2. Per C6.521, Area Acquisition never tracks. So even if the routing unit left the hex, the Acquisition counter would remain. All levels are affected by the Area Acquisition.

JR
JRV

I just want to make sure that I have understood this correctly please.

So I have a unconcealed kill stack of a 10-2 and three HMG's (I can dream can't I :)). My opponent opens fire on it in his defensive fire phase with a big gun. He misses but gets rate so that kill stack is sitting under a 2 acquired.

My rally phase. I deploy one of those kill stack squads. The rest prep and kill. The half squad without the HMG moves in the movement phase out of that location into another location in LOS of his big gun. The acq HAS to follow that half squad - no choice. The kill stack is now free of the -2 acq and has a chance to survive.

Is that correct? I always thought the firer had the choice to keep it on the kill stack.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
C6.51 "He may choose which of his previously acquired targets will remain acquired".
The Gun may keep the acquisition on the non moving acquired units.
JRV won't answer you.
He has left the forum months ago.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your situation Joe was different from the original one in that you have multiple units, hence the acquisition owner has a choice.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Your situation Joe was different from the original one in that you have multiple units, hence the acquisition owner has a choice.
Wishful thinking on my part Sam. I am always looking to add more sleaze to my game......:)