Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943

Pillar

Reaction score
Re: Actung Panzer: Kharkov 1943

Got the operation star demo but it seems to be very unresponsive in the menus. I get text scrolling telling me what everything does, but I can't click on anything. I can't even exist the program without shutting it down through task manager. Anyone else having this problem?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I didn't even know there was a demo. Last I heard, the devs said they weren't going to release the game outside of Europe until they finished working on their tank sim (which looks awesome, btw).

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That's a good deal. I *really* liked AP (dare I say that it impressed me far more than CMBN?). I really wish they would release Operation Star already! Sheesh!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reaction score
Country
llSpain

Scott Tortorice said:
Would have been nice if someone sent out a PR! :(
These guys don't do any PR at all.

BTW, I posted a mini-review of the game on the CM sub-forum when I got my little paws on it back in early November:

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?103277-Achtung-Panzer-Operation-Star

After having playing it for a couple weeks, I'd change little from that review apart from the Tactical AI, which compared with that of CM:BN, I find it to be pretty poor. Some examples:

• In one engagement, where I had to defend a crossroads with a German Infantry Platoon + 1 PzB41, I observed that the AI tactical abilities were less than stellar. The Soviets were, from what I could gather from the Engrish on the UI, probing with a mechanized recon squad. The AI divided its force in two elements - one which tried to attack my front and the other to sneak on my flank advancing through a forest. Up to here, very cool right? The problem is that the Bren Carriers - excellent modeling, was cool to see the corpses of the crew when they got destroyed - advanced up front with their lights on (it was a night fight). Worse was that the two elements weren't coordinated, with the flanking element striking something like five minutes after the front element. Needless to say, my Landsers didn't leave one single Russian alive. For a game which doesn't have any MP capabilities, an AI that "tries" isn't just good enough (imho).
  • A German platoon must defend a little village (a few isbas actually) from two Soviet infantry platoons supported by a Valentine III and a Matilda (again, excellent 3d models of everything). My mortar section didn't bother with stonking the approaching Soviets - which were charging in a way that was kind of cool. After overcoming my outer screen, I took refuge inside the isbas and then the battle became a travesty. AP Soviet tank gunners seem to be very respectful of peasants property, and didn't shoot at my troops taking cover in the houses with their main guns. The soviet infantry doesn't know how to bound, nor how to do covering fire. They just CHARGE forward and die. It looked to me as a vignette taken out from Signal... Worst was that my HQ half squad (you can't maneuver with teams as in CMx2) took casualties from a grenade lobbed by one frontoviki who managed to get near. This seemed to make German morale totally collapse. A couple minutes afterwards I sent out to assault one of the Soviet tanks - a Matilda I think - which were just driving back and forth in front of the German positions. I guess they were trying to scare me or something. I was nastily surprised when the squad, the whole 6 guys in it, rather than throw a grenade at the tank, which they approached from the rear, rather decided to throw their weapons at it, and raise their hands. I was tempted to cut them down with another surviving squad.
Caveat Emptor! The game looks good, plays so-so and documentation is non-existent.

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It looks like the game received some DLC and a few patches:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/the-flare-path-tomcats-tigers-treason/

Since I Wot I Thinked the wunderbar Achtung Panzer: Operation Star, the Eastern Front lovely has had its loveliness bolstered in numerous ways. Thanks to a series of patches and updates, we now have a new maps to fight over, light vehicles are now much less likely to tangle tragically with timber, the Germans are better dressed, and – this one’s a biggy – the game’s gloriously fluid operations now involve up to 250% more war machines and warriors.
I was hesitant to spend money on this seeing how it was seemingly thrown out the back door without much fanfare, but if Graviteam is going to keep supporting the game this way, then they can count me in.

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

It looks like the game received some DLC and a few patches:
I was hesitant to spend money on this seeing how it was seemingly thrown out the back door without much fanfare, but if Graviteam is going to keep supporting the game this way, then they can count me in.
Yes, I'm also pleasantly surprised Scott. On gamersgate I see they have also added the manual translated into English. Now I just need to figure what is a patch and what is an add-on :)

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

Wow. After having installed the three patches (two patches to the game engine, and the map update - from what I gather they fixed a few things on the maps that came on release and included summer textures) and read a bit the manual, something made *click* for me about this game. Now the operations make sense! I'd say that we now have a game, and from the looks of it, a good game. If economy allows, this one is really worth a close look!

I'm particularly impressed by the ability of the engine to sync the simulation to the FPS you're getting in a comprenhensive way.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

****. This wasn't supposed to happen.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Wow. After having installed the three patches (two patches to the game engine, and the map update - from what I gather they fixed a few things on the maps that came on release and included summer textures) and read a bit the manual, something made *click* for me about this game. Now the operations make sense! I'd say that we now have a game, and from the looks of it, a good game. If economy allows, this one is really worth a close look!
That's great to hear!

I'm particularly impressed by the ability of the engine to sync the simulation to the FPS you're getting in a comprenhensive way.
How do you mean?

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

How do you mean?
If your machine can't handle 1:1 time it dynamically throttles down the time compression. For instance, you can see it running at x1.0 when nothing happens, and then, very gracefully, slow down to x0.9, x0.8, x0.6 etc. and then back to x0.8, x0.9 etc. You can check this on the bottom right of the screen, where you can see the time compression you set and between parenthesis, the time compression your machine can handle.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

If your machine can't handle 1:1 time it dynamically throttles down the time compression. For instance, you can see it running at x1.0 when nothing happens, and then, very gracefully, slow down to x0.9, x0.8, x0.6 etc. and then back to x0.8, x0.9 etc. You can check this on the bottom right of the screen, where you can see the time compression you set and between parenthesis, the time compression your machine can handle.
That is a great idea! I think it is becoming more popular, too, as CCP implemented the same system to deal with lag in Eve Online.

Thanks for the explanation!

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

@Scott, yes, that's what I thought as well. I went back recently to Eve on-line - and quitted again, my burn out stands - and that was perhaps the biggest change in years.

@Redwolf, too bad man. My holidays are done as well, so I won't be getting either much time with Op Star.

In many respects, my initial impression that Operation Star gameplay is very similar to latest iterations of Close Combat is reinforced as I play it more and more. Some screenshots (Graphic Settings were set to "Balanced", as this gives ) from a tactical battle I fought yesterday well into the wee hours of morning.

I fired up the Taranovka German operation (the game comes with two long operations, covering Operation Star in February 1943 and the German Kharkov counteroffensive in March 1943) where you step into command of roughly one Regiment of the hapless 320th Infantry division, which became encircled in that town. The idea is to hold long enough so Leibstandarte - computer controlled "allied" units - can come to the rescue.

The first battle took place on southern skirts of the town, at 3AM - just before dawn - in blizzard weather. I leave the screenshots unprocessed, since lighting seems to be very important.

Above you can see the initial deployment of one of my platoons, sporting a 5cm mortar (that's the icon that looks as a devil with horns). Note the time compression on the lower left: I've set it up to x1.0, but my machine can only handle x0.8.

A closer look on the troops I deployed overlooking the gully. They look a bit "disorganized", but that's because I had set - unadvertently - their formation to "no formation". And the pixeltruppen tend to look for the best cover and deploy in depth.

A look at the tactical map. When I move away from the 3D view my machine can handle very well x1.0, x1.5 or x2.0 time compression. That's a hallmark of a finely done system: what you don't need to see, shouldn't have your machine busy. Actually, this is a very functional part of the interface. You can issue orders on it and track the status of your platoons at a glance. There are however a few glitches here and there, with contour lines not matching between neighboring map cells.

Note the squad I have selected it. Most of its men are deployed along the road - what I wanted - while others have taken positions to the rear in the forest next to the road.

Some action from the second platoon in this battle, who I set to advance into Taranovka itself. Eventually they bump into some Soviet cavalrymen...

Uniforms are very well-done in this game. I could tell these were cavalrymen because of the padded jacket/blue trousers combo. Note as well the HUD "metaphor" in this game. It's one of its most remarkable features I think. The position of your troops and enemy troops is displayed in a clear way, that allows you to figure out easily what's going on even in night battles as this one.

Forty seconds later, my pixeltruppen have dealt with about half of the Soviet squad. Those white icons (circles and little men) mean dead enemies.

Important events - such as finding the enemy - are marked in the tactical map, with a vector signaling the direction they came and a time stamp

In the picture above, my southern platoon make contact with the Soviet main force (a reinforced company)

Those Soviets surprised my guys: note how they've been moving along the gully and just turned up at about 100 meters. The squad commander has been killed, and my demoralized, starved landsers aren't going to hold their ground. In fact, they "panicked". Note that their icon just became a shade whiter-

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

Things arent' looking good for my southern platoon. There is a truckload of trouble coming their way. Zindl's squad is holding its ground well - because of having the Platoon Commander so near to keep them steady. Miller's squad is running towards my northern platoon. And the selected squad is just being wiped out in its place by incoming fire from three different directions. It's time to withdraw.

I issue the orders to withdraw, perhaps too late. The left flank platoon was wiped out while trying to disengage, and the one that was so hard pressed is running for their lives. I can only keep control over Zindl's squad, who along with the Platoon CO and the mortar section try to retreat northwards using the forest as cover.

Final situation, after the southern platoon survivors rejoins the norther platoon (who fought off a weak probe by some more cavalrymen). The Mortar section didn't make it. They couldn't run fast enough and were hunted by the advancing Soviets in the forest.

Note that the clock on the bottom left became red. That means that the AI is happy enough having mauled one of my platoons and snatching the southern objective, and is asking me for a cease fire.

And I duly comply. I'm happy to have secured that portion of the town "Center Taranovka" which provides a better defensive position than these denuded hills. The battle is deemed to be a draw: a fairly logical result in my opinion.

Op Star is still rough in some places - TOE's are a bit fishy, those bogus contour lines, there's still some Engrish left on the UI- , but less rougher than two months ago. The manual really did it for me: it put it everything into context, so I can figure out what things actually mean (as the tweaks to camera controls, which now can be hovered around with WASD!). Besides that, now I perceive troops doing stuff in a slightly more logical way.

One thing I couldn't capture in my screenshots, but I think it's a very nice detail in the UI. When you get shot from enemies you can see (or barely see) besides the tracer - great lighting! - you also get an arrow, which gives you a very clear idea of where the fire is coming from.

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

Not to mention one thing that I have always hated in Close Combat and Combat Mission that doesn't apply to Operation Star: it sort of feels you're fighting in a closed bar room. The battlespace feels really like "space". The action I fought took place over a 2x2 km area more or less, plenty of space for having one of my platoons withdrawing. This "elbow room" allows one to do things in a more historical way. This kind of thing is possible also with the CMx2 engine... if your machine can handle a reasonably detailed 2x2 km map, of course.

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

Second turn of the operation, it's now 7AM and the weather is as bad - if not worse - than four hours ago. The Soviet have launched two attacks. One towards the positions I held three hours ago, and another one on this lonely company, which stands mid way between LSSAH and 320th Infantry Division main body.

Here my forces consist of 3 platoons of a Company - no heavy weapons platoon - and some rear area troops, denoted by the triangles. This is a quite bad position, and the UI tells me that the Soviets are moving from three different neighboring sectors. Note that this only tells you where the enemy is coming from, but not really what's going to be his axis of attack. I'm expecting this attack to be supported by tanks, in the initial operation briefing it was noted that a Soviet Tank Brigade was moving to reinforce the cavalry that cutoff 320th Division.

The picture above shows the deployment suggested by the AI. Note that it has stacked two platoons along the road, leaving the supply troops guarding the
objective area. A third platoon is about a mile away: during the operational move phase I sent those to reach for LSSAH recon platoon to the southwest. I'll
recall them.

Needless to say, I don't like this deployment much, if at all. Too easy to become flanked, and I don't like to fight it out against tanks in the open.

LOS and LOF tools in this game are awesome. In this picture you can see the area LOS tool, which tells me what are these guys seeing in a very elegant and comprenhensive way as an overlay. You also have linear LOS tool

which can be changed with a right-click into a linear LOF tool

this is the first time I see a tactical wargame UI accounting for these two different concepts in a clearly separated way. And you can of course eyeball it yourself

which is something I tend to do quite often.

This is my final deployment. One of the platoons is covering the northern approach on a reverse slope. If I see too many Russians coming that way I'll have the possibility of falling back towards the gully and forest for cover. The other two platoons are covering the town, with a couple squads detached well in advance to give me some intel about the Soviet plan. The same thing on the tactical map

(NOTE: While writing this I'm Alt-Tabbing in and out of Op Star without problems other than a slight slowdown when getting back into the 3D view).

The view from the squad shown above, now with the weather turned on

if anything, conditions have worsened. It'll be kind of cool seeing the Red Army troops coming out of this. This campaign was very tough on the Germans - and the Soviets - mostly because of the terrible weather and soft snow which confined movement to roads. Soviet Cavalry was able to outflank and isolate many German units because of the greater mobility granted by riding a horse.

16 seconds into the battle, the northern platoon spots the first Soviet troops coming down that road, infantry supported by one fr*cking Matilda.