Achtung Panzer CG III Date 1

paulkenny

Reaction score
Nearing Completion of first date of AP CG III. My French are assaulting Jeff Millers Germans. Day one has been very successful for the French. I setup my OOB given units in two assault areas with minor forces on the flanks. One assault force sets up in the 17 Y10 area ready to attack his reinforced infantry platoon on the 40I8 hill mass. I setup approximately 1 1st Line infantry company in this area supported by a Medium tank Platoon of S-35's. My second assault force sets up in the 19H1 woods mass. This consists of the other 1st line company, the sapper company and the light tank platoon. I setup weak platoons on my flanks to protect against end runs for easy Objective hex captures.

Using my 15 OOB given CPP I purchase two 2nd Line Companies of Infantry a Light OBA Module along with an Offboard Observer. They will come on with one Co reinforcing each attack group, moving at the double quick to join the attack.

The early goings sees me taking a beating. The Gerries have setup a minefield in 40H9 and 40I10 which although obvious slows me down signficantly. The alternatives are not pretty, slow going around the flank or into the teeth of his defense in the 40I8 and 4008 areas, both sides are protected by MG stacks in stone buildings. The 40O8 area is supported by a couple of tanks. Well high diddle diddle straight up the middle. I push a couple of squads thorugh but suffer badly, so I reconsider and push 1/2 of my medium tank platoon through the minefield, isolating the hill mass and then taking hte 40O8 area from the rear, the other half of hte tanks push straight into the 40O8 area and within a couple of turns have gained a foothill on the hill and broken up up his mg nest in the o8 area and destroyed a tank burning in 40P6m a Pz II. Many tank and AT Gun shots bounce off the 6 AF tanks. The AT Gun is in 40G1 to support the hill. It malfs early though IIRC after some ineffective fire on the tanks. My OBA repeatedly does nothing to the 40I8 MG nest.

in the area of hte other assault force, things begin just as badly. I assault move and armor assault stacks up adjacent to 23Z1 and 23DD1 buildings. Well i was far too aggressive and suffer numerous breaks as a result and one light tank falls to an AT Gun in 23x6, burning in 23 Y1. Despite gains in the 40I8 hill area, both assaults are stymied (especially in the board 23 area) after a couple of turns, until the reinforcements arrive. On the flanks I trade light blows with nothing significant occurring, although one green squad for some uknown reason goes berserk and charges from its hedge cover to fall in a blaze of glory.

With the arrival of the reinforcements a dark blue wave washes over the forward german defenses. I swarm the board 40 hill mass with the momentum pushing me all the way across the 40I2-I3 bridge taking out a HS in the process. The Germans take some revenge when a heavy mortar goes on a tear and wipes out a platoon of 1st line infantry in 40I7 along with a well respected 8-1 leader. I spend turns 5 and 6 clearing the hill, putting fire on his supporting forces across the river and consolidating my gains. If the date continues on for a couple more turns I may try to expand this area to the east clearing this side of the river.

IN the board 23 area, things begin turning as well. I take out a pesky HS with MTR in ee5, an AT Gun in ee7 malfs and I clear the 23 DD1 building. After 5 turns or so all the germs have on my side of the river in this area is a 9-2,mmg sqad in in the 23AA3 building, but all efforts to reach him have been in vain. befre malfing the ee7 at gun, it took out a tank in bb2, its compadre in aa2 disables its gun and is recalled, an aggressive move with the remaining tank in this area finds it destroyed in 23 x2 but this works out for the best as it gives some much needed tem in this OG hex. Switching my OBA to 23cc7 building yields no good results, stone is tough to get into. However turn 5 sees a HUGE break or two on this flank. I CH his stack in the AA2 with a light Mortar, rs? BOTH, the ldr pins and the squad breaks, I swarm all over him and capture the building. A berserk 8-1 Fr leader charges the x6 building surely to his death and I move forces up to the river to prepare to assault the other side of the river. I am debating right now whether to consolidate my gains in this area or if the scenario drages on to push across the river! Perhaps a mad dash for the 23BB5 bridge.

What does the afternoon hold for me? I am contemplating a defensive posture, especially on the flanks and clearing out my side of the river. Of course a good push with another couple of infantry companies could see his side ofthe board 23 canal falling! There is lots of terrain to cover so have to be careful. Looking at the reinforcement charts, unless the Gerrie can conserve lots of infantry, taking armor will be an iffy proposition, so my operational goal will be to cause infantry casualties where possible.

amato1969

Recruit
Reaction score
Paul, nice AAR! I'm currently playing this CG versus the oh-so-wiley Dave Goff (he has the Germans). He's stuffing me on the left - I had hoped to take the board 7 bridge, but that's not gonna happen this AM. I am, however, making better progress in the middle - my FFE finally has done some damage on the Germans on the hill.

But, man, are my tanks taking a beating from Dave's ATGs! I think I have only 4 or 5 left. I'll post a more detailed AAR when we close out the first date...

Frank

huskerfan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This has got to be one of my favorite CGs... I've only played solo, but it is just too much fun... I spend hours thinking about purchases, French assaults, German defense...

Almost as much fun as RB, and (for me at least), a bit more manageable, too.

Please keep the AARs coming!

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul,

Have always wanted to ask...how do you find so much time for ASL. You seem to be playing tons of scenarios and CG's all the time. And reading and creating scenarios and posting and on and on.

Are you retired?