ACG Forums still being hacked?

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've heard reports that some of my images were 'deleted' when uploaded from my HD and I just noticed that Tank Combat Badge of WWI in the 'Who am I' thread has been changed. Again, this is an image I had directly uploaded from my HD. Do the moderators, web masters know if we are still under attack?

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont know about you, but lately, I have been having trouble getting online and looking here. When I am able to get on, it is real slow load periods. I have broadband modem at home and t1 lines at work.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am having no problems, but slow things could be that their are more and more people trying to access the forums at the same time and the servers aren't up to it. Or maybe Brian is doing some work on them.

Although I'm sure since they are running linux the servers will do just fine with the load :D

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by RichardS
I've heard reports that some of my images were 'deleted' when uploaded from my HD and I just noticed that Tank Combat Badge of WWI in the 'Who am I' thread has been changed. Again, this is an image I had directly uploaded from my HD. Do the moderators, web masters know if we are still under attack?
What I've noticed is sometimes slow load times of pages from the forum. Might want to report the loss of images directly to Brian or Shane Richard.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never noticed a slow down, or if I did it was brief. If you all could do me a favor and send me PM when you notice it acting slow I can look under the hood and make sure the oil level looks good, we are getting good horsepower to the ground, and all that.

Thanks!

Richard, I looked in that thread you mention where your image was gone and I still see it there. Do you? It should definitely still be there...and nothing has changed in that regard. Lemme know.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian, I notice especially around 2 or 3am at night, when I am at work, it always seems to slow down to th e point of almost not wanting to load. I will go to my other magainze sites and they have no problem. Do y'all upgrade stuff at that time or could it just be my plant's server network, just being stupid

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't usually do anything at that hour except sleep. :sleep:

However, there could be other things going on with our host at that hour which may be causing slow downs. Just fire off a quick email or pm if you notice things really slow again the next time that happens. I'll see what I can see.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of us dont have the luxury of having a M-F 9 to 5 job. There are some of us who do shift work at refineries :crazy: why I dont know but we do

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
Some of us dont have the luxury of having a M-F 9 to 5 job. There are some of us who do shift work at refineries :crazy: why I dont know but we do
I hear ya. I guess we have to do what we have to do. Well hopefully we can make sure these forums run at max speed for you so you have something to do while killing hours in the overnight shift.

:banana:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Brian King

Richard, I looked in that thread you mention where your image was gone and I still see it there. Do you? It should definitely still be there...and nothing has changed in that regard. Lemme know.
Brian,
This is what I am seeing in the thread.

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since different people are seeing different things, I would lay $20 down that the ACG site itself isn't being hacked -- rather, a mirror site is being hacked. Might be interesting if the people seeing "hacked" items were to report their physical location and IP to the forum moderators; that should pin down which of the mirror sites are getting whacked. Then the moderator could report to the owner of the mirror...

There are public internet mirrors and 'hidden' mirrors. Not 'hidden' as in secret, just 'hidden' as in there is no public display of the mirror; you just go ahead and enter "www.amazon.com" in your http toolbar and end up there...except you didn't really end up at the Amazon.Com main website hosted out of Redmond; you probably ended up at the 'hidden' mirror in LA, Chicago, Cincinnatti or New York.

Same with the ACG Forum website. Not that the ACG webmaster asked anyone to set up mirrors; it's just that the companies that actually run the Internet backbone, and some of the main consumer internet companies like AOL, set up mirrors in order to reduce traffic on the main backbone - which allows for faster downloads and faster pages for actual users like U and me (& hackers too, unfortunately).

In theory the mirrors and the primaries yakk with each constantly. In practice even a relatively small site like the ACG Forum can be so huge that only "official udpates" are packet-tossed between mirrors and primaries. So a hacker might dink around with a mirror, and if he chose an old page seldom visited & reset the "last edited" timestamp on that page, the mirror wouldn't "know" to toss an update to the main/actual website.

Thus, you'd have a hacked mirror and a correct primary.

Well, it's just a possibility.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: ACG Forums still being hacked?

Originally posted by richa333
Since different people are seeing different things, I would lay $20 down that the ACG site itself isn't being hacked -- rather, a mirror site is being hacked. Might be interesting if the people seeing "hacked" items were to report their physical location and IP to the forum moderators; that should pin down which of the mirror sites are getting whacked. Then the moderator could report to the owner of the mirror...

There are public internet mirrors and 'hidden' mirrors. Not 'hidden' as in secret, just 'hidden' as in there is no public display of the mirror; you just go ahead and enter "www.amazon.com" in your http toolbar and end up there...except you didn't really end up at the Amazon.Com main website hosted out of Redmond; you probably ended up at the 'hidden' mirror in LA, Chicago, Cincinnatti or New York.

Same with the ACG Forum website. Not that the ACG webmaster asked anyone to set up mirrors; it's just that the companies that actually run the Internet backbone, and some of the main consumer internet companies like AOL, set up mirrors in order to reduce traffic on the main backbone - which allows for faster downloads and faster pages for actual users like U and me (& hackers too, unfortunately).

In theory the mirrors and the primaries yakk with each constantly. In practice even a relatively small site like the ACG Forum can be so huge that only "official udpates" are packet-tossed between mirrors and primaries. So a hacker might dink around with a mirror, and if he chose an old page seldom visited & reset the "last edited" timestamp on that page, the mirror wouldn't "know" to toss an update to the main/actual website.

I'll take your word for it. I'm computer incontinent. I only know enough to not let the magic smoke out. :)

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Re: Re: ACG Forums still being hacked?

I'll take your word for it. I'm computer incontinent. I only know enough to not let the magic smoke out. :)
:laugh:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: Re: ACG Forums still being hacked?

Originally posted by richa333

Wow, you learn summat new every day...

Dr. S.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
My head hurts. Mirror sites, secret hackers, what happened to the good old days of smoke signals! :horse:
Thats what happens when you overclock your hardware too much, or you dump water on your monitor.

When the electrical signals fail in hardware, they have a built in smoke signal method of communication to tell you something is wrong...:D