Accuracy

The Land

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Haven't read the whole thread, jsut the first few pages, but here comes my 2p...

I had Dreadnought firing at Schleswig-Holstein at about 6,000 meters.

There was no relative movement between the two - both proceeding on the same course at the same speed.

After a few salvos, we get a hit. I focus on Schleswig-Holstein waiting for her to crumble under the next salvo ... except the next savlo is a miss. As is the one after that. And the one after that. Not a range problem - which I could understand as being down to roll, or propellant charges, or whatever. but a bearing problem.

My gunners have decided that, since they had hit what is essentially a stationary target, they need to change bearings.

At this point I thought Dreadnought's gunnery officers needed to go back to Excellent for re-training....

Taki1980

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Still is the Same with 1.07 as it was all patches bevor. No offical statement then "everything is fine with it, just short ranges need an overlook".

Im still waiting for an Offical reply on my "The Duel" Tests and what the Devs see when they try it.

Its weather, Range and 1000 other things. Not bug. :p

Strompy82

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Does incoming fire have an effect on shooting accuracy?

Just reading Massie's Castles of Steel again and he states that the accuracy of Hipper's BCS dropped appreciably once shells from Evan-Thomas' 5th Battle Squadron started landing around it. Is this represented in the game?

kotori87

Reaction score
I would imagine that the added stress to the crew, along with the possibility of shell splashes blocking view, and other unpleasant effects might have an effect. BH has also clearly stated several times that almost every variable that could possibly affect gunnery was taken into account when the Jutland gunnery model was programmed, so I think it's a safe bet that taking hostile fire affects your accuracy.

Last edited:

Taki1980

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Bevore we start guessing, first of all we need some explanation on how the System works. If its just abstract calculating some values or really count how close a Shell hit, if the targeting ships really draws a Line of Sight, how the gunnerysystems are modelled (imho close hits to the Mainturret Control Tower doesnt effect the Hit%).

So long we just step in the dark.

Blutarski

Reaction score
Does incoming fire have an effect on shooting accuracy?

Just reading Massie's Castles of Steel again and he states that the accuracy of Hipper's BCS dropped appreciably once shells from Evan-Thomas' 5th Battle Squadron started landing around it. Is this represented in the game?

..... Jellicoe's GFBO's were explicit in stating that no ship in the opposing battleline was to remain unfired upon and great reliance was put upon volume of fire to discomfit enemy fire control. The US Naval War College wargame rules awarded gunnery bonuses to ships unfired upon and special penalties to those under fire from multiple ships.

Massie's comments have to be read in context; otherwise they can be a bit misleading.

By the time 5BS opened fire on the tail of the 1SG line [firing two-ship concentration upon VON DER TANN and MOLTKE], VON DER TANN had already lost both A and X turrets to hits; her starboard wing turret was lost shortly thereafter to mechanical failure, followed by the right gun of her port wing turret. So, VDT was pretty much defenseless during the time that 5BS had her under fire.

MOLTKE had scored 13 hits on the BCF in the first 40 minutes of the action at ranges between about 15,500 and 13,500 yards. It is curious that MOLTKE scored no more hits during the battle. As regards its exchange of fire with 5BS, it may have been a function of the range, which was rather greater, at 18,000 to 15,500 yards.

SEYDLITZ fired 376 11-inch rounds during the battle, scoring 6 hits out of the first 300 rounds expended but then 4 hits out of the remaining 76 or so rounds. Her shooting results later in the battle actually dramatically improved in the statistical sense, despite her rapidly accumulating damage.

DERFFLINGER and LUTZOW both displayed competent gunnery skills late in the action, quickly sinking both DEFENCE and INVINCIBLE in 8,000 to 10,000 yard short range actions.

Apart VON DER TANN, whose main battery had been more or less completely disabled, and MOLTKE, for which I have no really satisfactory explanation, the 1SG ships appear to have remained respectably efficient when they actually had visible targets to engage. I think that the importance of visibility conditions cannot be over-estimated and the Germans were greatly encumbered in this regard late in the battle.

Last edited:

Invincible

Reaction score
Post #44 Bullethead explains the reason German Battleship secondary 15cm guns achieve more hits than the same guns on CLs. (Higher rate of fire due to magazine layout).