Acceptable Number of Air Units

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
G'day,

I'm currently working on a WW2 version of the American Civil War, with the CSA receiving full backing from the British Empire. It's coming along nicely, but I feel I may have hit a potential snag.

The problem is, with the US, Britain and the CSA mass producing aircraft, it's conceivable that each side will have up to 10,000 combat aircraft at any one time. Some time ago, I asked what players considered an acceptable size of air unit; wings of 60 planes, or groups of 180. The map is 25km per hex, so room isn't a problem. The problem is that, having chosen 60 planes per unit, I now have a lot of units.

Both sides start off with about 70 air units. But by 1945, the US will have up to 158 air units. The Allies will have up to 168. With options taken to build additional units, this will rise to 194 US versus 196 Allied.

Bearing in mind that the map is about 200 hexes wide, will this be too much for your average player? Will people get sick and tired of sifting through scores of air units? Or is it acceptable and OK to have this many, scattered across the entire North American continent (pesky Canadian and Negro guerillas need bombing too)?

If people do deem it a real pain in the arse, I intend to group the wings together, and form them as Groups of 120-180 aircraft each. This will reduce the total number of air units by about half.

Just interested in people's thoughts and comments. I want to design a usable game after all.

Cheers.

Felix

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally I prefer to micro-manage the ground units over the air units, so the numnber you are talking about would be annoying for me. The other factor to consider is what size the ground units are. If they are divisions or even brigades and regiments the larger sized air units are just fine. If the land units are battalions the large air units will be pretty powerful but not too bad I would say.

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Thanks for that Tiberius. Going on what you've said, and talking with Raver, larger units it is.

Cheers.