ABTF2 Graebner's Folly doubt about LOS

tailesin

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi folks,

With more time to expend playing, you know why, I decided to give a try to the ABTF scenarios in solo mode. I owned the module for long but I had never played it.

I have just finished ABTF1 the prize with a contested fight for the bridge that has been taken by the Brits.

Now I'm setting up ABTF2 Graebner's Folly, but I have a doubt with the LOS from buildings Q20 and S20 (level 1) to the bridge R22 and R23 when there is ruble (the destroyed blockhouse) in R21.

The units in the Level 1 houses are considered higher than the level 1 bridge hexes what gives them fire advantanges against OT armoured vehicles, but are they high enough to see over the half level rouble in R21?

I will try two approaches playing the germans:

1- total folly: a mad charge.
2-slow aproach enduring as few attacks as possible and using vehicles and smoke as much as possible with infantry dismounting.
3- A change in german orbat and mad charge again: there where NO 234/2 (pumas) in arnhem. 9 ss panzer div hohenstaufen never had one, nor 234/1 or 234/3 till november 44. So I will substitute them for 250/9's and add a captured Humber mk IV (possibly there and used, who knows, by Graebner Himself).

Thanks,

Attachments

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Half-level obstacles (like walls, hedges and rubble) have no effect on LOS when either the firer or the target is higher than that obstacle. The target may still claim the TEM if they are in the Rubble or behind the wall/hedge (though hexside TEM can be reduced in some circumstances; B9.33).

A6.21 HALF-LEVEL OBSTACLES: Any terrain feature defined as a half-level obstacle blocks all same-level LOS through (not into or out of) that terrain hex. Half-level obstacles never form Blind Hexes nor block LOS to/from a higher level Location.​

Interesting map, btw. I am not familiar with this module and am not sure what SSRs there may be to cover what looks like it might be some kind of elevated bridge (?) extending into the town above it.... I'm guessing, THIS bridge:

Had R18 through R22 been basically just ground-level roads, then the above holds true regarding LOS. If units on the bridge are actually at Level 1, then where is the R21 rubble? My guess is that it still exists at Ground Level, beneath the bridge (or else where did it come from?) but more info might be needed to better answer your question.

Good luck with your mission!

Last edited:

tailesin

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Well, yes, but my problem is that even though both the buildings and the bridge are Level 1. The Bridge is "somewhat lower, till the point that for Pointblank Fire the CE +2 is reduced to +1 and passengers and crews are vulnerable even if BU. So my doubt is are the units in the buidings high enough to see over the half level ruble?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Well, yes, but my problem is that even though both the buildings and the bridge are Level 1. The Bridge is "somewhat lower, till the point that for Pointblank Fire the CE +2 is reduced to +1 and passengers and crews are vulnerable even if BU. So my doubt is are the units in the buidings high enough to see over the half level ruble?
Is the Rubble actually on the bridge? If so, it rises to Level 1.5 which is too high for a Level 1 unit to see over. Barring SSR to the contrary (as it pertains to your "somewhat lower" Level 1), I would still think the Rubble remains at a full 1.5. I'd need to see how it's defined, but it sounds like "somewhat lower" only affects specific, point-blank situations, not LOS in general.

If the Rubble is not on the bridge, then it won't affect Level 1 firing.

Last edited: