ABTF HASL - Why do you hate it? Why don't you hate it?

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I playtested the scenarios and CG for Kurt Martin’s Arnhem The Third Bridge. So I bought ABtF when it came out but never played it, I just use the counters for SS OBs.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the entire project will also include: Pegasus Bridge 2nd Edition, Primosole Bridge 2nd Edition, and Ponte Grande Bridge (1st Edition). The 2nd Editions have changes and improvements to the maps, updated scenarios, and new scenarios.
hopefully, consideration is similarly being addressed to balancing the Primosole Bridge CGs as well.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
hopefully, consideration is similarly being addressed to balancing the Primosole Bridge CGs as well.
I'm pretty positively sure it'll be a huge improvement in every aspect, considering the sheer quality of maps that were presented in a similar thread.

All in all, I don't think it'll exceed the pinnacle of ASL's scenario design, which is obviously most esteemed venerable "Prinz Eugen Pack" - but you cannot have everything...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Market Garden needs 'the treatment'. It's one of the most famous battles of World War 2 (it might well, be THE most famous individual battle). I'd like to see someone such as MMP, BF, or perhaps the Italian guys doing something similar (I thought Hazmo originally but I think I was mistaken), give it the 'Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far' treatment.

Individual maps for each of the many bridges small and large, and for the many 'situational battles' such as the river crossing at Nijmegen and so forth, with rules interlinking them all, and all tied into the timeline. Or, if anyone played early Warhammer's 'The Tragedy of MacDeath' (people who have...will know what I mean), something along that line.

I think it could be the best campaign for any wargame ever created if someone threw themselves at it.

One day??

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems as if the CG may be an accurate historical representation but not a good game. I am unfamiliar with it but that is the impression I have from previous posts on it.
If that's the case, it suggests a misplacement of priorities. It's a game, not a history book. The priority should be 1) fun, 2) balance and 3) historical considerations. In that order. Just my 2 cents.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for making concessions on the ABTF CG(s) to make it more balanced, it can be argued it is historically accurate the way it is, i.e., British were defeated; W/L record across 3 CGs: 27-5 for the German. I personally wouldn't be interested in it if designers had to make ahistorical concessions to make it more balanced. That's just me.
Exactly.