ABTF HASL - Why do you hate it? Why don't you hate it?

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
ABTF seems to be the most disliked HASL. This was one I was really looking forward to when it came out. Haterz - why do u hate it? Defenderz - why do you like it?

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Played the CG 7 times vs 4 different opponent, its a dog, SS Marschiert to victory each time.
Have a list of radical/historical suggestions of updates, to implement if it would be played again , but intrest is lackning.

Played most of the scenarios and they are much better than the CG, although some could need balance updates and improvements.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I love the subject matter. Watched the movie many times, read historical accounts from both sides.
Perhaps the CG could be better balanced (IE: completely ahistorical) by adding positive modifiers to Brit Refit Phase rolls and adding some extra RGs?

But regards to playing the CG as is, and I guess to me any HASL, is a matter of doing better than the actual historical result, that constitutes a victory of sorts.

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
Its unpopularity is inextricably linked with the knee jerk black SS issue. Its a shame as I thought the full campaign was brilliant. Only thing I found strange was that the Germans have to capture the last block in the same day and if they don't they have to completely vacate the block and start again. I don't know what reality this is supposed to represent.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The CG is a big part of the issue. The two sides are a poor choice.
Side 1) Fur Traders with clubs.
Side 2) Baby Seals.

Some of the stand-alone scenarios were ok in the module.
It seems as if the CG may be an accurate historical representation but not a good game. I am unfamiliar with it but that is the impression I have from previous posts on it.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played the campaign twice. It does represent the battle and it test the Brits skill and multiple PMC. The Brits love the 1st 2 sessions then its hammer time. It is a slug fest after that, the fest being the Brits and the slug the SS. Won one lost one. Everyone will choose their poison. Great game to practice street fighting.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Played the CG 7 times vs 4 different opponent, its a dog, SS Marschiert to victory each time.
Have a list of radical/historical suggestions of updates, to implement if it would be played again , but intrest is lackning.

Played most of the scenarios and they are much better than the CG, although some could need balance updates and improvements.
One of handful,

of the balance/improvements to the CG, if it would be played again, is to include Gräbner's Folly into the CG, a choice never taken, due to the many crappy AFVs.

Now CPP must be spent by the German player and the charge attack must be conducted.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It seems as if Market-Garden would make an outstanding CG or multi player game. What prevented it from being so?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The whole of Market Garden is covered by MMPs Grand Tactical Series. It would be too big for ASL to cover the whole battle.
Yes I can see that might be an issue but would make a more interesting CG.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for making concessions on the ABTF CG(s) to make it more balanced, it can be argued it is historically accurate the way it is, i.e., British were defeated; W/L record across 3 CGs: 27-5 for the German. I personally wouldn't be interested in it if designers had to make ahistorical concessions to make it more balanced. That's just me.

Last edited:

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It can be balanced without being ahistorical - that's what the VCs are for. It's not as of its difficult to do, just change the date the Paras have to hold out for.

It might be historically accurate but what's the point if it's a 27-5 dog to play? Read a book or watch a film - this is a game.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
As for making concessions on the ABTF CG(s) to make it more balanced, it can be argued it is historically accurate the way it is, i.e., British were defeated; W/L record across 3 CGs: 27-5 for the German. I personally wouldn't be interested in it if designers had to make ahistorical concessions to make it more balanced. That's just me.
I agree although I would prefer the option to correct what I find to be, IMHO, mistakes. That however would be outside of my scope of the HASL as it exists. At least to my understanding.