ABTF GOD SAVE THE KING turns 4-7 (and end game)

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A frustrating scenario in that Tony Sella and I were NOT able to finish the game. We called it quits at the end of turn 7. Tony was thinking that the Germans were going to win b/c of the preponderance of their numbers, and I generously offered him a draw which he accepted.

OVERVIEW OF TURNS 4-7
Having carped, there were a lot of funny and cool things that happened.

I told Tony that he earned a moral victory for what his 50mm MTR did to my King Tiger.
TH was a 3 (lower body) TK was a SNAKES--IMMOBED! AIEIEIEIEIIEIE

In a worthless spot too, no less, b/c what it was immobed he moved everyone out of LOS to the bugger......

In general, I was pushing him back on all of block H--the Germans have just so many bloody troops what can the Brits do? IN ADDITION, the 150mm OBA was beginning to fall. The first mission I called of it was a harassing fire. It got a CH on his hex with a 9-2 and squad with a torch.
The 9-2 ate the shot, and then I rolled a 3 on the IFT....I think the SMC body is still in orbit as we speak....

The 100mm OBA is frustrating in that since the observer for it is at level 0 on the other side of the stinking river, I found I could only get 2 good missions out of him, one of them being SMOKE and the other being HE.

FOR THE BRITS to win, they have to
-use their HIPs wisely. FORCE the Germans to take the time to search for you. I was doing that (turns out that the HIPs were NOT hiding in cellars and 1st levels==but I only know that AFTER the game is over)

-expect to take losses. It's a painful scenario for the Brits b/c a victory for them will be very pyhricc (sp) at best

-in the center of that 'H' block ie the victory area, place your fortified bldgs. This will become your holding out festung, b/c the Jerries are coming

Other funny events
-he has a HS stacked with 2 squads. It throws a DC at a stone bldg that has 3 SS squads. He rolls a 6 vs. me. Modified to 1MCs, to which I break, break, and pin.
Then he rolls against himself, since he had thrown in in the DFFinal...
He rolls a SNAKES! Then he rubbles his own hex--KIAing all his troops for me!....
-6pdr aka 57L atg fires against a Tiger 1, HD. APCR, lower body MISS (ROF-2,2 was the actual roll) SO, again, he tries, APCR, upper body, last round. He shocks me with the TK...I then roll out of the shock and from my safe HD location, precede to pummel this evil ATG with gunfire from my Tiger....

IF I ever played this one again, it would be with a second German player and even a 2nd Brit PLUS I would have 10 plus hours set aside for it (say at ASLOK?)
A cool scenario, but as the fates would have it, Tony and I had to take 4 weeks off b/w FTF sessions, and b/c of that, we wrapped it up this week.

Hope all of you are well!

Mark De Vries

rryeates

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this a couple weeks ago. I agree that the British defense is challenging. Some of how this will go depends on exactly where and when the Germans enter some of their KGs, but you are right; the British need to find a place to hunker down because the Germans are coming. Hope your doing well Mark.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playtested this one way back when, its fun as the Germans but can be fustrating as the brits just b/c the ammo shortage forces the brits to basically hide everytime a rampaging king tiger turns down a road. But if your at the ASL open Mark, I'm sure if we are both out of the running we can set -up god save the king I'll take the Germans.

Scott