ABtF CG Isolated units

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let'say the Germans control blocks U,V,W, and the British control blocks M,O,P,Q,X. It is the RePh 9.605.

In block N, which is also controlled by the Germans (from the start of the scenario),there is, at game end, one German unit in EE5 (maintaining control ,having been there throughout the scenario. The British have four 648's spread out in hexes DD8, FF7, CC7, BB12.

Are those units considered Isolated per R9.6053? Except BB12?

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, they are isolated...
1. They are not in a Friendly Block
2. They do not have a path of contiguous, enterable uncontrolled territory.

They are required to escape

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, they are isolated...
1. They are not in a Friendly Block
2. They do not have a path of contiguous, enterable uncontrolled territory.

They are required to escape
Ok, that is what I was thinking when reading R9.6053, last night. Not very intuitive, this block control, but the light is starting to dawn on Marblehead, and we are only about to start the 18EVE turn of CGIII. :D

There is one unit in my example that is not isolated, then. BB12 could trace a one hex path to the safety of block P, through the Uncontrolled hex of AA13.

Not that hard to grasp after all, if I can put aside my preconcieved notion of what I think the rule is.

In our game, the British have been attacking right to scenario end, and then we've been retaining to the nearest freindly controlled block. But, if your answer is correct, then it means the attacker may have to break off the attack for a block as the scenario end becomes a consideration, and attempt to retreat back to his own lines, or else risk Isolation, and therefore possible Escape casualties.

Sounds like a concept I can live with.