ABtF AAR!

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Legion said:
I am assuming that is both the British and German AARs... right?
Correct. The file name of the zip is just the file name as you sent it to me! :)

Legion said:
Hmmm.... i fthere is to be no more AAR page here it might be time to dust off the FrontPage and make a web-page for them...
The AAR page will almost certainly return, it's just a case of the programmer types who do such things still coping with the change to SZO and all the other related tasks that brought with it.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Beseler said:
Gents, have you written up a set of tips anywhere? Lessons learned?
Hey Beseler, my Sig Line is a link to the quaint little web-site that i am now using for AARs, it has the whole CG there at least as far as we played it (apart from one by the Germans which i am having trouble converting from it's original .pdf -> Frontpage). I have not written a 'lesson's learned' from and for the CG yet... should get around to it, thanks for the kick in the pants.

At the end of each CG Date though we have written things that struck us as being important for the CG, so if you dont want to read through the whole AAR then just jump straight to the bottom of the page.

We are now playing Edson's Ridge, and with the Marines in deepest doo-doo after the 13D game it might be ending sooner than later - JP has the choice of the next CG, and while i would like to do KGPI (again) or OV, or even Primisole Bridge, i think he is leaning to replays (with sides swapped) of either ABtF or ER.

Beseler said:
Importantly, how the British might win?
I am not sure they can! At least as long as the German player can make the PELR checks for the first few games, and has the sense to patiently build up a force rather than attack piece-meal

See the last ABtF AAR, that will give you a fairly comprehensive view of my position and why i decided to surrender my Brits.

Even with Battlefield Integrity being played (favours the Brits), with the Germans getting totally hammered for the first 3 CG dates AND with Block N remaining uncontrolled until i essentially decided to not bother defending it any more, it was still going to be a white-wash. There were only a few times when my Brits were unfairly treated by the DRs... but there is too much territory to watch, and to constrict the perimeter too much allows the German OBA to rip one apart... JP's use of OBA in this CG should be put in a text-book... it was devastating and demoralising, and had its strongest effect at a time when i was close to holding him off.

I think this CG is exceptionally hard for the Brits to win, but if they do then it is likely to come down to the final few turns and a last ditch stand... but i was sure enough of the result to not commit us to another 12 months of log-files when all that was going to be happening was Brits skulking against Superior German AFV, OBA and infantry presence

This is a CG that a Brit player should play for the challenge of it all... and for the fun of a nasty city fight... not if he expects a win

Eric Morton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ABtF as Brits

The Brits can't win often. But, playing them is great fun. I played the Brits and held out until 21 AM. There are many, many subtle aspects that the Brit must understand to play well - such as purchases, where to put fortifications, etc. Certain aspects of the rules and SSRs take on greater meaning as the CG progresses. Since the Germans will start a lot of fires, the terrain changes too.

I wrote up a very detailed AAR for the British for ABtF CGIII. It appeared in Volume 7, No. 4 of Hit the Beach! - which is the newsletter for the SoCalASL Club. You can find all copies of Hit the Beach! on the club website: www.socalasl.com.

I really had a good time with the CG.