Absolutely Fabulous - RV of The Tactical Wargamers Journal (1)

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi all

I thought after having a great Read I would give some feedback to you all about this new Mag of Michael's

It is a really well written and professional product -absolutely worth the money!

Starts with a really Cool article on the history of Wargames - nice research
There is then a Quirky one on how they package games - bit funny but interesting
Then Marks website is reviewed well for those who are new to this ASL and so is the World of ASL website reviewed.

Then (could not put them down) Three! :D really well written pieces on the Russians with general history and breakup of forces, followed by two detailed armour (never seen something this good before) pieces- one on actual vehicles detailed and one on the formations
It finishes with a computer thing I skipped since I dont play those Games

Very Very well done Michael - you have added a brilliant Mag to the current ones out there!

Rob :clown:

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I would buy it but I can't read Canadian

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I would buy it but I can't read Canadian
You need to drink 4 Canadian Beers backwards, while a Canuck hits you with a Montreal Canadian Hockey Stick over the knees while listening to Triumph's 'Fight the Good Fight Everybody' very loud in a pile of 4 foot snow wearing a Dudley Doright Royal Canadian Mounted Police uniform and the Cananucksteir in you will pop UP and allow you to read in Canadian.

Knowing your sad state you'll propbally look like this after your first try:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all

I thought after having a great Read I would give some feedback to you all about this new Mag of Michael's

It is a really well written and professional product -absolutely worth the money!

Starts with a really Cool article on the history of Wargames - nice research
There is then a Quirky one on how they package games - bit funny but interesting
Then Marks website is reviewed well for those who are new to this ASL and so is the World of ASL website reviewed.

Then (could not put them down) Three! :D really well written pieces on the Russians with general history and breakup of forces, followed by two detailed armour (never seen something this good before) pieces- one on actual vehicles detailed and one on the formations
It finishes with a computer thing I skipped since I dont play those Games

Very Very well done Michael - you have added a brilliant Mag to the current ones out there!
I wouldn't buy it if it came with a gold plated ASL set!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the review, Rob. Ordering information is linked to in my signature. If you follow the links in the tag, there is a full review both on the ordering page, and at Consimworld.

Don, I noted in this thread you were contemplating starting your own ASL-themed newsletter. I seem to recall being very supportive of your discussion there and even paid you some compliments. Specifically I mentioned your "knowledge of game history", said I would "like to see what (you came) up (with) in the way of articles" and thought you would "have something to offer that was unique". I further said that your "wealth of knowledge of the history of the hobby could be a mine of interesting article topics" and indicated a willingness to subsidize your efforts.

Please let me know when you are ready to start discussing your venture again, so I can be sure to enter your thread and spam it with oversize images which make it impossible to read anything without scrolling, and post off-topic banter that derails discussion beginning with post four. It would be the least I could do to repay your kindness here.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A short preview of the second issue - a long time coming - is in the works. Hopefully worth the wait. Current plans are to release in May 2011.

Don, after the discussion of OAF, I was wondering if any traction was made with your project?

Last edited:

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A short preview of the second issue - a long time coming - is in the works. Hopefully worth the wait. Current plans are to release in May 2011.

Don, after the discussion of OAF, I was wondering if any traction was made with your project?
Cool. How many and what kind of tactical tip articles on playing ASL did you write?

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I find it hilarious that folks make it a hobby to slam Michael Dorosh.

Whether Mr Dorosh has played or not is irrelevant, he has a military background and obviously has some knowledge of tactics. He also has been in the war-gaming community for awhile so his insight is useful.

Many have found his scenario designers guide very handy as it gives a level of detail not found in any other product.

He has contributed to this community in many ways, some good, some not so good. Someone reads something he has written and compliments him for it and all of a sudden folks start bashing him.

WTF, some form of envy there?

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Whether Mr Dorosh has played or not is irrelevant, he has a military background and obviously has some knowledge of tactics. He also has been in the war-gaming community for awhile so his insight is useful.

Many have found his scenario designers guide very handy as it gives a level of detail not found in any other product.

He has contributed to this community in many ways, some good, some not so good. Someone reads something he has written and compliments him for it and all of a sudden folks start bashing him.

Nope. I just can't stand frauds. This is and ASL forum, not a military history forum. Pretending to play in order to sell books is different than than saying " hey I don't play much but here's some history related to your game." I would expect a "design guide" for a game to be written by an expert in the game, just as I would expect a book on how to play golf to be written by an expert golfer.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not nearly as hilarious as MD pretending he knows anything about ASL.

MD is like the regimental seamstress...if one has a tear in one's britches, then he is the guy. Otherwise...meh.

All the detail makes it weighty enough to keep the door to the gameroom propped open.

Oh yeah, he is just such a victim...:nuts:

Hardly...I equate it to the kind of response mosquitoes get.

Oh, and...it chaps one's a$$ that he posts so frequently on a forum he has actually tried to get shut-down...and yes, he actually admitted such.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So many don't have respect for MD, yep got that and have good reasons, yep got that.

So my question is

What has Rob done to deserve HIS thread turning into this hate MD crap?, would you guys get pissed with Rob if he did the same to one of yours? I have the same view when MD or Scott do this to any you do. Remember the one Pittman did about MMP and Martin Mayers chimmed in, plenty of upset guys there.

I am starting to think I need a break from the forum, the fun to hacked off tilter is way down and I am starting to turn into what I don't like.

Help me out guys and back it up a little

Ian

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So many don't have respect for MD, yep got that and have good reasons, yep got that.

So my question is

What has Rob done to deserve HIS thread turning into this hate MD crap?, would you guys get pissed with Rob if he did the same to one of yours? I have the same view when MD or Scott do this to any you do. Remember the one Pittman did about MMP and Martin Mayers chimmed in, plenty of upset guys there.

I am starting to think I need a break from the forum, the fun to hacked off tilter is way down and I am starting to turn into what I don't like.

Ian
Point taken. I can't help myself sometimes. I keep thinking ignoring him only encourages him. I forget about all the other good people around here.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

So my question is

Ian
Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!! :angry:

MadDog_CDN

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

So my question is

Ian
Rep this man, please!