About dummys stack

Pecete

Reaction score
First name
Pedro
Country
llSpain
I am playing ASL28 Ambush and got 16 ? counters "thats a lot" about rule A12.11
If I create a dummy stack of 3 ? counters (2 dummys counters and one conceal counter) Can I separate thouse two dummy counters and also adding a conceal counters for getting two stacks of two countes (one dummy and one conceal counter)?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
You can do this in your MPh or APh. On the other hand, if you move/advance two stacks of two ?? into the same location, you remove one ? so that there is only one stack of three counters. Basically, to your opponent, it just looks like a stack of real units splitting up or recombining.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I create a dummy stack of 3 ? counters (2 dummys counters and one conceal counter)
Using three of the 16 ? counters in your OB, yes...
Can I separate thouse two dummy counters and also adding a conceal counters for getting two stacks of two countes (one dummy and one conceal counter)?
Yes. As @WuWei wrote, two ? stacks can combine. See the end of A12.11, the sentences starting with "Multiple concealed units can combine" and "A concealed stack under".

Pecete

Reaction score
First name
Pedro
Country
llSpain
Ok so I can do that with as many ? counters that I whant. If the stack I can make is up to 16 ? counters, then I will be able to create 16-1=15 stacks of 1 dummy and one conceal counters in the next phase that I can move. Isn't it right? I never would do that cause max will be 7 locs

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok so I can do that with as many ? counters that I whant. If the stack I can make is up to 16 ? counters, then I will be able to create 16-1=15 stacks of 1 dummy and one conceal counters in the next phase that I can move. Isn't it right? I never would do that cause max will be 7 locs
Yes you can, but you will be telling your opponent that many/all of those stacks are dummies.

One way to look at is what can a stack of squads/HS/leaders do as far as splitting up, a stack of dummies or a mixed stack of dummies/real units can do have the same options.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I think you cannot split in two or more a stack of dummies, since you can only create a stack of dummies during setup (A12.11), and splitting a stack of dummies in two would be creating two different stacks. I believe the confusion arises because right after that rule limiting the creation of dummy stacks comes the rule on how to manage the splitting of concealed stacks of real units.
I might be wrong.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you cannot split in two or more a stack of dummies, since you can only create a stack of dummies during setup (A12.11), and splitting a stack of dummies in two would be creating two different stacks. I believe the confusion arises because right after that rule limiting the creation of dummy stacks comes the rule on how to manage the splitting of concealed stacks of real units.
I might be wrong.
I believe you are incorrect as A12.11 states, "A concealed stack under a single "?" can split into separate stacks; each new stack is topped with its own newly created "?". " As a dummy unit(s) beneath a concealment counter fits the description provided there is little doubt dummy units are treated just as any real units beneath a concealment counter and may be split into additional concealed stacks as such.

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
So, how should we understand the part of the rule that states: “Dummy stacks can be created ONLY during initial setup and among OB-designated reinforcements during their initial turn of entry.”(A11.12)?

Last edited:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, how should we understand the part of the rule that states: “Dummy stacks can be created ONLY during initial setup and among OB-designated reinforcements during their initial turn of entry.”(A11.12)?
There are four dummies and a concealment counter created during setup. Now there are four dummies and four concealment counters dispersed during play. Those four dummies move around, mingle with real concealed units (listing a concealment counter along the way) and then break apart again (regaining a concealment counter) so that it becomes less and less clear where the dummies and real units are.

There are no dummies created during play. They were all under a concealment counter. What was created and is legal to do is place additional concealment counters to cover pre-existent dummies. Really useful for creating sniper distractions around a kill stack with your highly prized leader.