Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for sharing - interesting to see how nicely preserved the vehicles were in '67.

The US Ordnance Museum was in Aberdeen Maryland at the US Army Proving Grounds. I visited in '92 and it was great to see. Never made it back since then.

Sounds like the Museum has now closed and is being moved to Ft. Lee Virginia, but the outside display is still there at the moment and can be visited. You can find out details here:
http://www.ordmusfound.org/

Someone - I think it was Jack Daniels and/or Bill Stoppel - organized a behind the scenes tour a few years ago prior to Winter Offensive. There was a thread on GS with some pics that were good to see. I was sad I couldn't get away early to take the tour then...

Derf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pz IV chassis by the looks of it, but what's on top?

Oh, and which Aberdeen? Are these still there?
I believe it is an experimental SPA unit. I have pictures and more info on it in at book at home and will post more tonight.

The tanks were at the Aberdeen proving grounds in Manyland. Most have been lent to other museums over the years and the ones that are being shipped to Fort Lee in Virginia.

Derf

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Pz IV chassis by the looks of it, but what's on top?
A 105mm lFH 18. The turret could be dismounted by the a gantry/crane and placed upon the ground on a square girder base as a sort of pillbox or fixed protected artillery position. The base and the gantry elements are stowed on the side of the vehicle.

The chassis is not a straight Pz IV conversion but uses the composite Pz III/IV vehicle (Geschützwagen III/IV)that was used as the basis of the Hummel and Hornisse. The externally the hull and suspension were Pz IV but the drive sprocket was Pz III. It was part of the mid war effort to unify Pz III and Pz IV production.

10.5 cm le.F.H.18/1 L/28 auf Waffenträger Geschützwagen IVb Heuschrecke 10

Although flexible in its possible deployment it was regarded as too little gun for the chassis. The gun could be fired from the ground or from on top of the chassis. The gun turret in its dismounted state could even be fitted with wheels and towed by its chassis.

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A 105mm lFH 18. The turret could be dismounted by the a gantry/crane and placed upon the ground on a square girder base as a sort of pillbox or fixed protected artillery position. The base and the gantry elements are stowed on the side of the vehicle.

The chassis is not a straight Pz IV conversion but uses the composite Pz III/IV vehicle that was used as the basis of the Hummel and Hornise. The externally the hull and suspension were Pz IV but the drive sprocket was Pz III. It was part of the mid war effort to unify Pz III and Pz IV production.

10.5 cm le Pz.H 18/40/2 auf Geschützwagen III/IV (Sf)

Although flexible in its possoble deployment it was regarded as too little gun for the chassis. The gun could be fired from the ground or from on top of the chassis. The gun turret in its dismounted state could even be fitted with wheels and towed by its chassis.
I suppose it took too long, in game terms, for the turret to switch positions and still be used. A fascinating rare vehicle to insert into a scenario.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I suppose it took too long, in game terms, for the turret to switch positions and still be used. A fascinating rare vehicle to insert into a scenario.
Many multiple turns, I bet. In ASL terms it would require a CG refit phase. The gantry element would have to assembled, turret lifted on/off, base (dis)assembled, gantry disassembled and stowed and all that would take time. I suspect 15 to 30 minutes at least. The wheels were attached to the hull rear and appear to be the standard lFH 18 wheels. Even attaching the wheels to the dismounted configuration and towing away would be slightly slower than hooking up a standard lFH 18.

Tactically it combined the advantages of being capable of being emplaced with size and concealment advantages whilst being splinter proof with the ability to operate as a normal SPA when so required. It is a good illustration of the German tendency to provide over engineered and complicated solutions to problems. The role was undertaken by the Wespe which though small and a bit overloaded was quite adequate.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
And last but not least....

View attachment 34370
That last Pz IV is a rare beast. It is an experimental Pz IV G with some sort of fluid transmission and smaller rear drive sprockets. The front idler is toothed, but still an idler.

Thanks for all those photographs. Some well deserved rep has been give.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The chassis is not a straight Pz IV conversion but uses the composite Pz III/IV vehicle (Geschützwagen III/IV)that was used as the basis of the Hummel and Hornisse. The externally the hull and suspension were Pz IV but the drive sprocket was Pz III. It was part of the mid war effort to unify Pz III and Pz IV production.

Although flexible in its possible deployment it was regarded as too little gun for the chassis. The gun could be fired from the ground or from on top of the chassis. The gun turret in its dismounted state could even be fitted with wheels and towed by its chassis.
Grasshopper :smoke:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool Stuff!!!!!!!!
Especially those untouched by US artists.

Got any of the Atomic Cannon?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Someone - I think it was Jack Daniels and/or Bill Stoppel - organized a behind the scenes tour a few years ago prior to Winter Offensive. There was a thread on GS with some pics that were good to see. I was sad I couldn't get away early to take the tour then...
Jack arranged it over Winter Offensive. The Tiger in Derf's pictures is not there. It got sent to England some where and some how ended up in a private collection. I know efforts have been made to get it back but as far as I know, it hasn't happened yet. -- jim

Derf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Great info Paul - My source say that there were 3 of these made. Here are photos of the turret being taken off and transported.

View attachment 34381View attachment 34382

Derf

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool Stuff!!!!!!!!
Especially those untouched by US artists.

Got any of the Atomic Cannon?
The Atomic Cannon has been moved from Aberdeen to the Virginia War Museum in Hampton. They only brought the gun to the VWM the transports for the gun are no longer with it. I thought I had photos of it when I took my son there but I can't find it, but I will do a little more searching to see if I can find it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M65_Atomic_Cannon