AAR -WO30 - As Luck Would Have It

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I have been busy working on a pitch for my new reality show, called “Bondage Island”.

Focus group feedback has been extremely positive, especially in the Baltimore area.

I took a break from interviewing submissive starlets to play “As Luck Would Have It” with Walt. He wanted the British.

VC are building control and exit points. Germans lose a point for every AFV knocked out. AFVs don’t count for exit points.

My evil plan was to win by exit points. All the 467s and two leaders would run up the east edge. The 468s, 9-1, and all the SWs would go up the middle towards the buildings. The AFVs would help where needed, but were primarily going to be used against the buildings, and to keep the British from reinforcing the defenders in the east.

Walt had no defenders up front. Putting guys up front can screw up an assault, but the chances are that when they break, they’ll die or surrender. He had three units to the east. Two of these were near the back board edge. Two were near the west edge to cover the open ground in front of the bocage line.

My AGs rumbled on, and the 105 on the road was promptly shot at by his 57L, which was back on the north edge. It was a boresighted hex. He needed a 7 and rolled a 10. I got out of there quick!
Now knowing where the gun was, the other AFVs could avoid it. I had two HSs whose solemn duty to the Fatherland was to hunt for the gun in the wheatfield. Now they could push forward heading north.

I had a 468 with a MMG to cover the east edge of town in case he tried to run squads over.

My turn 2, in the east, I begin my assault on a 648 with a LMG. Walt rolls snakes and takes out a 247 with a 7 flat shot. In front of the town, the 105 fires its last Smoke round to hinder LOS from the dudes to the west. Prep reveals a dummy behind the hedgerow. Two AGs move up to the hedgerow, and two squads advance underneath them.

B2, Walt’s LMG 648 is surrounded. I had an 8-1 with three 467s in OG two hexes away, which I know is not the way JR would play it, but I thought he would shoot at the 8-0/467 that was adjacent. He shoots at the 8-1 stack and rolls snakes. I lose a squad, everyone else breaks.

Return fire encircles, then breaks the 648, who surrenders.

Meanwhile, Walt’s 8-1 and 648 in the east AM next to a 467. I shoot and break the 8-1, but miss the 648. But Walt then pulls these guys back. I expected him to go for CC.

G3, a lousy shot against a concealed unit in a stone building reveals a HS, who promptly pins. An AG then shoots and hits. Walt rolls a 12, eliminating the HS. There are now no British in the center lumberyard area of town. I run an AG east. Walt fires his AT gun at it, which promptly breaks. I AM a squad next to his 648 in the east, mostly because I want to distract him from firing on the broken 8-1 and two squads to DM them. It kinda works. He takes the bait and shoots at the adjacent 467, rolling snakes. Again. I end up with a broken HS.

I run the Mk IV north to try to DM the 8-1. Walt needs a 5 to hit with his PIAT. And rolls a 5. Burning wreck!!!

An AG moves east to keep his 8-1 and squad from moving west.

B3, fire from the Stone Redoubt breaks one of my 468s in the center of town.

G4, my 9-1 rallies the broken 468 in town. Walt destroys his AT gun with a repair attempt. This is why I don’t give him nice things.

I ESB an AG to get it between two buildings in town. I figure, next turn, I can AM underneath it, then advance and pick up another building.

Walt’s 9-2 and LMG squad take a shot at my 9-1 and 468. And rolls snakes. That’s #4 for him this game. My squad dies, the 9-1 is broken. But my sniper roll is a 1! And it lands right on his 9-2! Who gets selected and dies! The 648 is unhappy with this turn of events, and breaks! And then gets reduced in DFPh!!!

Is there anything sweeter than ASL dice roll revenge??? I think not.

My eastern guys continue moving north, and a couple exit.

B4, Walt’s 8-1/ 648 are kinda stuck in the NE corner, as my AG is still covering the open ground gap. Walt does a Bold, Manly, Paratrooper Charge against a CXed 8-1 and two squads with a 338. I shoot, they go Berserk!!! And make it into my hex!

Walt realizes he needs to take buildings back in town and kill AFVs – I have 5 building points now. First, his crew charges forward and makes it into a building adjacent to my AG. But they are pinned there.

A HS does his Bold, Manly Paratrooper charge into open ground adjacent to a squad and the AG. My 105 fires, and breaks his gun. The squad fires, Walt rolls snakes, and goes Fanatic and creates a Hero, Private Paartz. The AG breaks the HS. But a 648 squad can now move with impunity to advance into a building with a 468.

In CC, the Berserk HS takes out my 8-1 and a 467, though I nail him back. Private Paartz finds a Gammon bomb! And takes out the AG! I believe he needed an 8 TK. In town, Walt’s 648 rolls snakes, and creates a 8-0.

For those of you keeping score at home, that’s 7 snakes for Walt – 4 shooting, 2 MCs, 1 CC.

G5, I shoot Private Paartz in his private parts, and he is eliminated. I get more guys offboard. My 105 with the malfed gun runs away.

B5, Walt takes the stone building, and gets his crew into a wooden building.

G6, my lone squad in town tries to take back a building from his crew in CC. They’re unsuccessful, and we end up in Melee.

Final is 11 points exited, 1 building point, 2 AFVs lost for 10 German points. I needed 8 to win.

Luck was a major factor in As Lück Wood Halve It. (Sorry. Had to say it!) Walt kept churning out snakes. But breaking his AT gun and losing his 9-2 on the only successful sniper of the game balanced that out.

Walt hurt his chances by having too few troops in the center of town, and by moving his 8-1/ 648 too far east.

Gut feeling is that this may be pro-German if they go for the exit points. There are different ways to play this. I went after both the buildings and exit, though I really didn’t need buildings to win if my 467s came through in good shape. You can make a case for trying to exit with everybody. Or, try to stomp all the British in town to win with building points. My feeling is that may be hard, as there is not a lot of time to knock 648s with a 9-2 out of stone buildings.

Worth playing.