AAR - Vossenack Church - DB058

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Got together with Vinny Maresca. Since the last time I played him, he has been injured, possibly by a French partisan sniper, and is now on crutches. I didn't ask if a French partisan sniper was involved, but I can assume. And there was brie in the refrigerator. Actually, there are quite a number of people who would like to take a shot at Vinny. Just sayin'.

So he is now a Wounded Leader.

wounded germanthEVKBLXEW.jpg

And, quite frankly, he was a 7-0 before, so I am feelin' pretty confident going into this. The heavy doses of pain meds he is taking can only work in my favor, especially since he keeps thinking that he is Shirley Temple.

He had a pile of shorter scenarios he wanted to do. I picked Vossenack Church. I told him before we started that it looked pro-American, due to the turn length (4-1/2), and the use of Cellar rules in the victory building. We diced for sides. I got the Americans. This may have been the roll that decided the game.

This is about 60% pro American on ROAR.

Both sides have three limited set up areas for their troops. The Americans have the victory building, which has cellars, one hex with a level 1, and one hex with a level 2. It is also a Factory. I believe that they manufactured castratos here. There is also a building to their right and the area around a building to their back left that they can set up in.

Germans have a mix of 548s, 467s, and 447s. Americans have a mix of 667s, 666s, and 546s. Usual assortment of SWs, but the Americans have a HMG and 2 MMGs.

The Americans don't have the number of bodies that they would want to properly defend each area. The building on their right looks particularly vulnerable, as it can be attacked from two sides. One German advantage is that their troops set up close to the Americans, and they get first move.

I stuck the 9-1 with two HSs in the middle of the road on the back left. They were not worried about the vulnerability of their setup location.

thAFYKK6IW.jpg

One HS had the HMG, the other the 60mm mortar. These cut the road to make it hard for his one group to cross it.

Vinny sets up and surveys the battlefield.
thPR9A3V3Y.jpg
"LOOK!!! I can see my house from here!!!"

Turn 1, Vinny breaks and ELRs a HS with a bazooka next to the church with a 20+1 shot. This was the highlight of the game for him.

He advances in the center, and gets two HSs and a 467 next to the wall outside the lumberyard. His AFF pins my HS there, and he goes in for CC with two HSs. He gacks both the Ambush and the attack rolls. I roll a 4 and kill one HS, leaving us in Melee.

My turn 1 PF, a bunch of his guys break, including the 467 next to the wall. A 666 and the 9-1/ HMG make it across the street adjacent to the church. A 7-0 that tries to get across is broken and runs back. I advance an 8-0 and a 666 into the Melee on the right, and wipe out his HS with a 4-1. Fair fights are for suckers. He does get my HS.

His turn 2, I break some more guys. At this point, his center is crushed, with only an 8-0 left GO. He gets two squads into the cemetery by the church, but they get thrown back.

He rallies two squads under DM in the center, which saved their bacon, as I was going to find a way to eliminate them for failure to rout. Another squad makes it into the cemetery next to the church. They break one of my squads with a PSK shot, but I encircle and pin them. Next turn, they get blasted to teeny weeny little bits. His northern force boldly charges into the street, and are cut to pieces by fire from the light mortar and a 546.

Vinny throws in the towel after 4 turns, but said it was basically over after 2. He only had 4 good order squads left, out of 15, and had not gotten anyone into the church. Only 2-1/2 squads of mine even broke during the game, and one of those was due to a sniper. My only loss was the one HS in CC. This isn't as one-sided as our playing makes it seem. My dice were good enough to get a lot of MCs on him, including a number of 1 and 2 checks. His MC rolls were bad, with a lot of ELRing. I was also able to keep most of his broken guys DM. His attack rolls, in comparison, were crap, with lots of 9s and 10s. It wasn't that my 6 morale guys were passing MCs, as he was unable to get MCs. I also kept kicking his bad leg under the table, which may have affected his judgement. He lost 3 HSs due to Fate rolls, and another due to a sniper. He was planning on grinding his dice into dust after I left.

I would play it again, tho I would give the Germans the balance.

I enjoyed the scenario, tho it is quite possible that Vinny did not. Unless he is a submissive masochist. Which he very well might be. All I know is, his wife would look good in leather.

Tycho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this a couple years back. American win, but great fun with lots of knife fights and dead bodies inside the church.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I did indeed bury the dice deep down inside my dice container. Granted my best DR was for weather when I needed a bad one for snow! But the HMG in the street and pesky mortar breaking 2 squads in a stone building put a real damper on 1/3 of my force. I’d play this one again but send a stronger force against the lumber yard area as the force across the street has pretty limited advance routes. And not rolling 9s and 10s might help!