AAR - Vines of Red Marines - OzB1

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I took a break from analyzing my March Madness picks to get in a couple games with Jim Thompson. (I have the Harlem Globetrotters to win it all!!!) We played OzB3, and since that was so short, moved on to OzB1, Vines of Red Marines, also from Ozerekya Breakout.

This is what grape stomping in the Crimea looks like. Seriously.

Once again, Jim took the Naval Marines.

OMG!!! They must be nine feet tall!!!

He has a couple 527s and some HSs with giant mortars. There are significant penalties for early withdrawal, and also for using the mortars. There will be both Captured and Non-Qualified Use penalties. Also, the minimum range is 3. Although it's not clear from the scenario card, these are Italian mortars.

I have a bunch of 347s. VCs are to get all of the Soviets out of an area.

Not a subtle attack. I gave a HS the light mortar, and another HS the ATR to shoot at mortars. Everyone else came across the stream.

He did break a squad with a giant mortar. Everyone else was in good shape after my first move, except most are in open ground.

His turn 1, he breaks some guys, and my 9-1 goes Berserk. Will his exhortations inspire his broken men to rise up with him??? No. Rumanians don't go in for that s***.

I put together a 7 hex firegroup, which then cowers. I still get a result, but his squad passes. Heavy Sigh. I know I won't have too many chances for big firegroups in the future. I did the same thing the next turn, again with cowering, again with no result. Some days it just doesn't pay to roll 4's.

My turn 2, Berserk 9-1 boldly charges a HS, and makes it in. I am able to get a non-Berserk squad in with him, so at least he won't die alone. Continuing his trend from our earlier game, Jim breaks two LMGs. I get 2-1/2 squads into CC with a 527, lose the HS, and end up in Melee. The Berserk 9-1 and his squad end up in Melee.

For the second week in a row, my opponent fires at his own guys in Melee. If I can only encourage them to shoot at their own troops on other occasions...

I do go on to win both of these Melees.

I self rally a squad with snakes and create an 8-0. I roll snakes in CC and create another 8-0. The Rumanians are just officer-creating machines!!! Promotions and medals for everybody!!!

End game, Jim is down to a 9-1 and HS. I have piles of guys around him. So instead of Prep Firing, then taking his lumps like a man, he weasels away into the vineyard.

My last turn. His HS is actually out of the VC area, but he does get last move, so I have to deal with him by running into the vineyards after him. My no longer Berserk 9-1 runs adjacent. The squad charging after him breaks. Subsequent shot breaks two squads and an 8-0. Residual pins a squad. FPF breaks another two squads and an 8-0. All from a stinkin' half squad.

My 9-1 looks around, and sees that there is no one to join him if he advances into CC. But, being a fatalistic Rumanian, and possibly very drunk on Crimean wine, he goes in anyway. If I can kill the HS or tie him up in Melee, I have the win.

But no. Jim's HS drops a grenade down the back of his pants.

Russian last turn, and Jim just has to run through the vineyards back to the victory area, with me unable to stop him. Memorable ending to the game, and one that will give me screaming nightmares for weeks, possibly years.

Had I calculated it out, I may have been able to move everyone my last turn so that they could advance and block Jim's potential last turn move, rather than go after him and give him shots. But with overwhelming odds, and charging into vineyard cover, I thought that SOMEONE would make it.

Definitely a better game than our first Oz one. I had the better luck in this one, up until the last turn.

If the Russians can nail Rumanians with MGs and mortars early while they are in open ground, this could be a short, ugly one for the Rumanians.