AAR - Totensonntag - FrF45

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Played this at ASLOK against Cliff Smith. This had been on my list to play, at least in part because it uses the cool Friendly Fire board.

I had the Germans. I have to do a fall back defense. Poles need to kill Germans and/or take buildings.

I set up one squad in the I5 stone building, expecting him to die, but slow up the Polish advance. A concealed leader and LMG squad were in J3. Most of the rest of my troops were in the woods on my left.

This is an all-infantry fight. Against my 8 squads, the Poles have 11-1/2 squads. They are members of the famed Polish 57th Infantry Regiment Synchronized Dance Team.

thH2WYEI5K.jpg

The game started badly for me. Prep fire broke everyone in both I5 and J3. In retrospect, I should have concealed the squad in I5. I was able to rout the J3 units away.

A HS on my right was unable to drop back, as the Polish advance had cut off the route. The woodsy dudes slunk back. Cliff didn't push as hard as he could have on turn 2, which allowed my broken 8-0 and LMG squad to rally. My HS on the right broke some guys, then killed a HS in CC.

I decided to shoot my light mortar rather than attempt to drag it back any farther. I missed, and return fire K'ed the HS. I finally lose the HS on the right flank.

I am able to get a lot of infantry back to the village, though I lose one squad when I missed a LOS. This was a recurrent theme for me at ASLOK. My MMG HS on Level 1 goes down, opening up the right side.

Last turn, Cliff needs to take two buildings. I am defending the three up front in the village. Cliff charges some guys, I shoot and break some of them, then other squads of his do an end around to take unoccupied buildings for the win. Well played, sir, well played.

The Poles celebrate by trying to score with the local chicks.

polishth337LQC6W.jpg

This was the most fun scenario I played at ASLOK. Good one for newbies or those transitioning from Starter Kit.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This is probably my most favorite small all-infantry scenario of all time. Great for teaching ASL !

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This is probably my most favorite small all-infantry scenario of all time. Great for teaching ASL !
The VC being a mix of building sole occupation (rather than control) and CVP mean it is well suited to teaching ideas around mixed objectives. I would be a little wary of using it until a player had 5-10 scenarios under belt for this reason. After that though a wonderful reflection of how a game of ASL can become quite different just by twisting the VC in a different direction

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The VC being a mix of building sole occupation (rather than control) and CVP mean it is well suited to teaching ideas around mixed objectives.
Technically it is not about "sole occupation" - it is about getting Good Order Polish units into buildings - granted if there are Germans there, those units might very well be in Melee - and thus not in GO.