AAR TOT 37 Breaching Malark.... BRIEF

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, here goes....

I was the Soviets in this scenario....

Placed both mine belts on board 16 with all sorts of covering fire from units on board 33.

With the additional mines, I bought ONLY AT mines, and had 5 AT mines in a whole bunch of these hexes...the idea being that it made it almost unbreakable...

Save except of course for the FKBIV vehicles ie the ones that have 500KG of TNT ready to do their thing for the Reich...

Turn 2, Tony rolls the first of 3 vehicles on the board.
He passses the radio TC, and rolls vehicle 1 into a mined hex with AT mines...
AT mines nail him...
He then rolls for the explosion. HE rolls a 11--Xing the demo and NOT clearing the mines.

Fine, so vehicle no.2 does the same.
AT mines get him,
He rolls a SECOND 11--Xing the demo and AGAIN NOT clearing the mines

Vehicle 3 does the SAME THING IE eats AT mines, then rolls a 11 Xing the Demo and NOT clearing the mines

Did we do this right? Any answers you all might have would be appreciated....

BTW, the odds of this happening are 1/12 x 1/12 x 1/12 = 1/1728 ie NOT A MONEY SHOT......

We are going to play it again, starting over on Monday night.
We called this one a draw b/c of the obscene luck he had with the dice...

Mark De Vries

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More on this scenario...

Ok, for the Soviet defense, I set up most of my OB either on board 16 or adjacent to it, with the intent of using the trench line to move up and stop his advance.

My AT defense was great--part of our restarting the game was Tonys demoralization over what I did to his units ie a burning PzIIIN and burning SPW in a wheatfield no less...

It's a tough SSR that allows only 6 Sov MMCs on board 16, which has led to me in the second playing--which hopefully will last more then 3 turns-- our second playing sees me setting the Sovs on the board 11 hill mass, with the mine belts on the board 33 edge.

ALSO, hopefully, with our second playing, the FIRST stinking attempt for him to use the FKIVbs won't lead him to roll 11s thus Xing the weapons and NOT clearing mines....

Mark De Vries

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
odds

odds of rolling exactly an 11 on 2 dice = 2/36 == 1/18

so three 11's in a row is 1 / 5832 == 0.0001716

so it's even more obscenely unlucky

I once broke a MA, MMG and LMG on the same turn but not in three
successive shots.

I once rolled two snakes for HOB and two 12s for Surrender in one phase
but not successively.

NoPrisoners

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, not to pollute someone else's thread, but the 'obscene luck' button got pressed and I have to share.
Played Preparing the Way a couple of weeks ago. First attack by my best firegroup (9-2, 4-6-7/HMG, 4-6-7/MMG) comes up boxcars. Random selection finds both weapons. Bummer.
First attack by my second-best firegroup (8-1, 4-6-7/HMG, 4-6-7/MMG) also comes up boxcars. Again, bummer.
No attacks occurred betwen either attack, BTW, no rolls were made for anything else.
Subsequent repair attempts were, in the same Rally Phase 6,6,6 and 3. Repair attempt for the single surviving weapon, next turn, 6.
It was kind of funny, in a train-hitting-blazing-orphanage way.

NP