AAR - The Gateway - DB100

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Played “ASL - The Gateway Drug” against Walt. He wanted the Germans.

Americans are defending a village with 1st and 2nd line squads, two 57Ls, and some wire and mines. Germans have a mix of 548s and 447s plus two 838s with a FT and 2 DCs. They have 3 StuGs and a Flamm Hetzer for armor support. VC are stone building control.

Not a particularly inspired American setup. One AT gun and some AT mines on my left, one gun and more AT mines on my right, wire and a lot of dummies covering the village center. He can set up across from the center and my right.

Walt made good use of vehicle smoke his first turn. But one StuG was in LOS of an AT gun, and I was able to kill him. He was paranoid about losing the Hetzer, so he kept it in Motion, so his FT shot from 2 hexes against concealed guys was uninspiring.

Turn 2, infantry fire breaks my AT crew and a squad, and smoke allows him to CC my 9-1 and MMG squad with an 8-1 and an 838. We end up in Melee.

He breaks a HS on my center line, but most of those guys are still concealed and only a HS crosses the street. He doesn’t push on the right, and I am perfectly happy to remain concealed and not shoot as long as he does the same.

In what was to be the start of a trend of bad CC rolls by Walt, I eliminate his 8-1 and 838 in CC with snakes, while creating a 7-0. But I lose a HS, and the 9-1 is wounded. In another CC in the center, where he had a 4-1 against a HS, nothing happens.

His Flamm Hetzer continues to do nothing. Walt had great hopes for his infantry flamethrower. Here is what he imagined:

actiongirlsleannavampbigfire013sm.jpg

Here is what he got:

lighterzkckzafsyy8fz3qwykclsm.jpg

He X’ed it out on its first shot.

My newly created 7-0 picks up Walt’s abandoned DC, wipes the blood off of it, and decides to ruin his day by flinging it onto the CC hex. Now, you have to understand, I never have any luck with DCs. Every squad that carries one breaks on 1 even shots, or fails every pin check, or gets nailed by a sniper. I can’t remember the last time I actually got to place one. The secret to good DC use, apparently, is to place it on your own troops. I get a 4MC.

But the dice giveth, and the dice taketh away. I need a 2 to pass and my HS breaks and ELRs. Imagine my shock. His two HSs break and one ELRs to a conscript. But his 838 goes Fanatic. My HS dies withdrawing from Melee. 4:1 minus 4. Who’da thunk it???

Walt’s Hetzer rolls a 12 and decides to go home. He got three shots with it, none better than a PTC.

I break some of Walt’s squads on the right, but also create a hero. My right is defended two dummy stacks and an 8-1 with a MMG toting 666. Return fire breaks the real guys. Sgt. Nixon comes out with his hands up. Does Walt accept his surrender??? NO!!! This is why I don’t give him Christmas presents. No Quarter does allow the squad to rout across the street, though I lose a HS thru interdiction. But at least I still have the MMG.

Walt advances a HS into a smoked out stone building. I jump him and kill him in CC. Walt then jumps me with a squad, and we end up in Melee.

End game, I run an elite 546 across the street to try to jump a 237 for control of a stone building. Half the squad gets shot down, the other half pins in the adjacent building. But they are still in a position to be an annoyance, and it kept Walt from shooting at more important targets.

Last turn, Walt has no choice but to charge 3 buildings and reinforce a Melee for a chance to win. Much shooting from me at negative drms. He does get at least somebody into every needed stone building hex, but for one, it was just a hero. He loses the hero in a 6:1 attack, the other three all end up as Melees, and the Americans win.

Walt was scared of losing his StuGs, so he kept them far back and buttoned up. Part of the game had falling snow, which didn’t help his shots. On the plus side for him, they never got close to my mines, and one AT gun and all three bazookas never came into play.

I should have set up some guys in the street. I was allowed to entrench in suitable terrain, and it would have given me cover for routing. Certainly Sgt. Nixon would have appreciated it.

Interesting scenario. I think the Hetzer and the flamethrower are going to be big parts of any German win.