CapitanPiluso

Reaction score
Country
ll
After my last infamous, poor and nasty defeat playing "The duel" against Herman
I decided to play this scen in ANW solo mode NATO side, to see which
tactics could help me if some circumstance puts me again in front of
such a heavy duty.

So I am in command of a powerful TF and two subs, one of them (SSN Swifsture)
quickly begins to receive passive sonar signatures coming from NE.
My task is to prevent these russian ships from heading Iceland but to my surprise this guys
never take that heading, it seems they run into a small box pattern due to the various skunk alerts I receive.

As TF is really far away, I decide to dig my SSN into the group at creep
speed and intermediate depth.This will take so many hours, but if I manage to
stay un detected will be a good approach.

Some 20 hours later the wait is over, I am in front of the russians and
fine tunning my heading gets my sub directly under the TF...some BOl´s
with Tigerfish torpedoes managed to sink a Kresta ship, a Frunze, a Sverdlov and
one Sovremennyy.

With 4 ships sunk, I met VC with no problem.:smoke:

Something important I learnt from this scen:

In MP you know exactly what to do and what your orders are to meet VC,but
playing SP is quite different because AI task is to prevent you from
reaching VC (AI does not necessary will follow orders human player has in MP)
so you follow your orders, but do not expect AI to do the same you would
in MP, this will depend upon what the scen designer has "told" the AI to do.
A scen in MP may be totally different from the same in SP
(Thanks to Herman for all his advice about this game.)

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Harpoon 3 scenarios for the PlayersDB

Thank you for another entertaining AAR. The tactics you employed appear to be quite masterful. You were very patient and stalked your prey at creep speed to ascertain their operating area for 20 hours before delivering your attack thereby not revealing yourself. Bravo.

However, I am going to give you more bit of advice on this scenario. You should try the same scenario and tactics in H3. I bet that you will find the AI swarming all over you with ASW helos. Styx can attest to the greater lethality of AI ASW in H3. :)

From your description, I suspect that the AI did not treat you in a hostile manner until you actually opened fire. The AI in ANW may know your exact position and be lashing you with active sonar, but it won't fire until it can be absolutely certain that you are hostile (i.e. when you fire). This problem is not evident in H3. Thus, the AI is very aggressive in H3.

So, I challenge you to repeat your feat of incredible derring-do in H3. :)

FreekS

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Re: Harpoon 3 scenarios for the PlayersDB

Great AAR!

Your insight into the differences between solitaire and multiplayer are spot on. As a designer i frequently build scens where i program the AI to focus on preventing victory of tye player. I remember one memorable occasion where Herman tested a scen that had a US carrier transiting to Tokyo, opposed by Backfires. he won it and then figured playing the Russian side would be easy as he knew where the carrier was going, but he needed to search all over the Pacific as i detoured the carriergroup south of Japan. Great fun.

Freek

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

I already recommended that he play your "Pacific" scenario. Stop giving away all the Free Intell! ;)

FreekS

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands

Damn, I conciously did not mention the scenario name <ahem>

Freek

CapitanPiluso

Reaction score
Country
ll

Thank you for another entertaining AAR. The tactics you employed appear to be quite masterful. You were very patient and stalked your prey at creep speed to ascertain their operating area for 20 hours before delivering your attack thereby not revealing yourself. Bravo.

However, I am going to give you more bit of advice on this scenario. You should try the same scenario and tactics in H3. I bet that you will find the AI swarming all over you with ASW helos. Styx can attest to the greater lethality of AI ASW in H3. :)

From your description, I suspect that the AI did not treat you in a hostile manner until you actually opened fire. The AI in ANW may know your exact position and be lashing you with active sonar, but it won't fire until it can be absolutely certain that you are hostile (i.e. when you fire). This problem is not evident in H3. Thus, the AI is very aggressive in H3.

So, I challenge you to repeat your feat of incredible derring-do in H3. :)
You are right, it ´s very kind of AI to wait for me to fire first...lol
Strangely, when I got close the russian TF two helos were over my sub and I was waiting for the TIW (Torpedo in the water) alert, but no torpedo was dropped.This is an AI fault of course.

I began this scen in H3 an the AI behaviour is quite different, much agressive and they even did not let me close to the TF, various helos came to "visit" my sub and began droppping torps very quickly...now I have 6 torps coming directly at my sub and chances of surviving are
really minimal.
Anyway I consider ANW a good approach to Harpoon series, then playing H3 can give the player a "Master World Admiral" promotion.:laugh:

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Anyway I consider ANW a good approach to Harpoon series, then playing H3 can give the player a "Master World Admiral" promotion.:laugh:
I guess I see it the other way around. I recommend that everyone play the H3 versions first and then, if they are still interested in hammering a defenceless AI, play it in ANW. :)

styx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

+1. Far better to lose some good fights and improving ones tactics, than to beat the AI in boring turkey shoots.