AAR - Task Force Faith Breakout - 211

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Played Task Force Faith Hill Breakout against Walt Harrar. This is the first FW scenario that either of us has played. We picked this one because nothing makes a player's heart beat faster with excitement than the chance to move a huge number of trucks. Forget about your Tigers and SS, bub, any hep cat knows that trucks is where the fun is at!!!

convoy68163d9810f32b251409a65a6dbc56e2sm.jpg

Walt had the Chinese. I had the American trucks.

Americans have to exit lots and lots of trucks. Ground snow, only one road, lots of open ground. Americans get 1 FM of 100mm OBA and FBs with napalm. Chinese have a lot of troops, but nothing with range other than two light mortars and one 82 mm mortar. Ammo Shortage and Extreme Winter are in effect for both sides.

Walt set up his forces on interior woods hexes of board 19. This meant that I could pretty much move up my infantry with impunity, as a lot of the open ground could only be interdicted by shooting through Light Woods. (Light Woods are like Olive Groves on steroids.) It also meant that a lot of the fighting was going to be at 1 hex range, which works to the Chinese advantage.

Push up my right flank was going pretty well. Americans have enough FP that even firing through multiple Light Woods is an option. (That's a 20 +4!!!) Then I ran into a hex where he had not one, not two, but THREE HIP squads. I started with a 9-1 and two 667s and ended up with a broken 8-1 and a broken 346. Walt does like to stack to make big FGs. My sole consolation was that I had uncovered most of his HIP guys. A FB shot with MGs with no effect, and the napalm missed, but infantry MG fire destroyed these guys.

On my left flank, infantry fire destroyed his Commissar stack. His Little Red Book was red with blood, now. I got a FB attack on another big stack, and hit with napalm, but he still came out of it with most of his troops, and the inherent napalm smoke made it so that shooting into the hex was going to be useless.

This was the first time that either of us had played with napalm. Sure, there was that one 4th of July picnic at Ronnie's, but we swore him to secrecy, even though we burned down his shed. I meant to say that this was the first time we have used napalm in ASL.

Mebbe it's just me, but I thought that the napalm rules were confusing and weird. We played it that the Chinese did not have to exit in the turn that it was called down, because even though there is a Blaze in the hex, it is not a Terrain Blaze. This did turn into a Terrain Blaze when the Smoke disappeared, so he moved out then. I don't like the Random SW destruction rule for this. You might lose a SW a turn AFTER the attack, but only if you have stayed in the hex? In the meantime, you can continue to shoot this soon-to-be destroyed SW. "Quick!!! Keep shooting before it melts!!!"
napalmthU147Z1IZ.jpg

Walt had a lot of trouble with SW malfunctions - with Ammo Shortage and Extreme Winter, everything broke on a 9. He also had a lot of problems with 2nd line squads ELRing, which turns them into two Disrupted broken HSs. This happened a LOT.

I never broke a SW while firing it, though I did have two squads that downgraded themselves by rolling 12s when shooting.

With all the fighting taking place at close range in the woods, there were a lot of CCs. Which I won. All of them. Even those where I was Ambushed and Walt declared HtH. We never even had a Melee. I would jump in, stab him again and again and AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!! and that would be it.

I never got a chance to use my OBA. As the game went on, ELR failure was an issue for the Americans, and most of my 667s had become 666s, which is a problem when you are attacking at 1 hex range. I held off bringing in the mighty mighty trucks until turn 5.

Like she said on our third date, "Here is where it starts to get weird." Walt had a 437 and crew left near the bridge - the Napalm survivors. He also had a light mortar, and his still hidden 82 mortar.

His infantry immobilized one truck just as it crossed the bridge. The HIP 82 mortar opened up, and got a CH on another truck in the same hex. It did not burn. He kept rate, and got another couple shots off with no effect, but then broke the mortar. And by the end of the turn, I had killed his light mortar crew in CC and reduced his 437 squad.

And it didn't matter. The game was over. I can't disband the Convoy until I have lost three trucks. Until it is disbanded, each truck entering the hex with the wreck and immobilized truck has to pay double for other vehicles/ wrecks, so each Convoy truck would have to pay 10 MPs to enter that hex. As long as Walt did not shoot another truck so I could disband, it was physically impossible for me to get the trucks off. Odd ending.

Walt's lone regret was that he could not use the Bugle rules.

An impromptu break dancing session breaks out among the victors!!!
korean-war-krieg.jpg

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That was cool, colorful and fun to read, many thanks.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I actually screwed up the calculations as to how much it would cost a Convoy vehicle to enter a road hex with a wreck and an immobilized vehicle. I said 10, but I forgot that you have to add 1 MP for Ground Snow even if the road is plowed.

So driving down the road in Convoy would be 3 MPs per hex. One wreck would make entry 7 MPs per hex. The rules are unclear as to whether the Immobilized vehicle is still part of the Convoy. Normally, I think it wouldn't be, but since I couldn't disband by SSR, it probably would still be considered a Convoy vehicle, and entering a hex with a Convoy vehicle would be 9 MPs. Since this road hex had both the wreck and the immobilized vehicle, it would cost either 14 or 16 MPs for a Convoy vehicle to enter that hex. So for the balance of the game, the Convoy would be moving at 1 hex per turn.

If you play this, I suggest making the scenario 46 turns.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Forgot to add:

Relevant rules sections are D2.14, E3.724, E11.23, E11.251.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't believe a wreck is a "vehicle". See D1.
Whilst E11.2 notes a Convoy moves using the principles of Platoon-Movement...wrecks are not part of such a platoon.
E11.21 also notes then when gaps occur "due to elimination"...then two separate convoys are created...and how any remaining MP can be spent by each.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
E11.23 does say "wreck/ vehicle" for calculating movement penalties.

And an immobilized truck is still a vehicle. The question is if it is still part of the Convoy.

Trucks #1 and #2 were the ones blocking the road, so forming a separate Convoy was not an option.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
And an immobilized truck is still a vehicle. The question is if it is still part of the Convoy.
Think E11.21 is rather clear that an Immobilized vehicle ceases to be part of any Convoy.

E11.21:
"...A Gap appearing in a Convoy line (due to elimination/Immobilization/bog/leaving the Convoy [11.25-.254]) causes the original Convoy to become two separate Convoys .."

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry I had wreck in my head...in any case the answer is still at ....E11.21 an immnob vehicle is not part of the convoy....

elimination/immobilization/bog removes the vehicle from the convoy.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this as the UN player

Came to the conclusion that the convoy HAS to enter turn 3 ie as soon as possible to keep from your result happening.

AS IS the firepower that the UN player has along with range advantage makes it rough on the CHICOM player er CVPA player. UN victory in our playing.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

My 2 cents is - this is in no way negative but rather an observation

I have played, with three separate players, 10+ now of these FW scenarios ( a few twice) - they are very unforgiving in balance - some special thing always is part of the game
It may take a while for these to get popular as they are hard to get that special thing on face value- I play lots of Japanese, Chinese, Desert and Night and they don't match how you need this special trick each different scenario. In the years past, the jump in tactics from Red Barricades to VotG was a slow but a doable evolution, Festung Buda is special but you can get the concept after a few games, KGS is special but again there is a feel after a while (Gamers guide a big help)
Each one of these FW scenarios seems so new its a lot to grab each time.
I am really looking forward to a "Gamer's Guide" level article from MMP - Really helped me with KGS and with (a long time back) Tarawa...

I will finish the set! - never has stopped me with any other product but I have never felt that "aha moment" so quickly that I should have done that! in the games that I have felt in this KW series (often at Turn 2 you see your blunder so predictably). I have bought but not played the Rally Point ones yet - thinking about it and often depends on what cool release happens if I get to it

Cheers

Rob:)