AAR St Louis 2019

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First round opponent: John Schneider
Scenario: Death at Carintan +US bal. We had a late start so we played a ‘off round’ option scenario, John has the US paratroopers and me the Germans.
The US attack never got into the P4 building due to this nasty MG fire lane crossfire, a couple of half squads, the smoke and MP problems. The German reinforcements ran right into the P4 building making it very difficult for the Americans. Also, the US artillery observer found himself in melee because the German reinforcements can basically enter anywhere. I’ve played Death@carentan many times and I like it. Unfortunately, this battle didn’t really develope. 1-0

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Round 2
It’s always nice to travel 250 miles and end up playing the guy who lives 2 miles away. Such is the case with me and Rich Spilky so we sat down to play sugar cane shuffle (bfp-38). Rich made a bid of j1 for the Japanese and I bid p0 for the Philippine Scouts so I got a little balance of two squad upgrades.
This scenario could be called “fire lane shuffle” because of the situation and lots of Kunai and at first glance looks like a Japanese walkover. However, after playing twice before as the Philippines I’ve found they can be rather resilient. My setup entices a Japanese attack on their right flank and Rich obliged. My HIP guys are the 9-1 with 2 MMGs in the middle, ready to put 2 fire lanes down in any direction almost across the entire board. The other HIP are two squads with LMGs on my extreme left flank facing down hoards of troops. To my shock the first guy to break was one of the 447/lmg HIP guys when Rich wisely fired a mortar into this suspiciously vacate hex on my extreme left flank. The best thing going in this defense are the two wire counters I put up way forward on the (my left) board edge blocking the way till the Kunai field and hedge. Time after time Rich’s troops got delayed by the wire and the smoke he put down didn’t help to much on account of the extra MPs. His troops got squeezed and overstacking became a problem forcing more delays. One fun thing happened on turn two when Rich rolled and Yahtzeed a random selection that broke all three of his MMGs. Not to worry, next rally phase he fixed all three!
One thing Rich did (and I think it’s a mistake in this scenario) is he deployed zillions of half squads and eventually the leaders started shooting them into conscripts. His troops carefully advanced, avoiding the three or four criss-crossing firelanes every turn and avoided causalities but getting pushed to the right and the board edge allowing my right flank troops to redeploy with the AFVs to form a solid second line. I started spending squads and half squads, maybe 1 1/2 per turn to stop him while the defenses shifted. One squad bravely held out in a brush hex and only pinned after everybody Rich could throw at it prepfired. Ultimately the Japanese casualties mounted and they got funneled into a 3 hex kill zone with a thin but solid line of Philippine troops blocking any exit. The next time I play this I’m going to give the MMGs to the 7-0 leaders because I feel like I wasted the minus modifier leaders putting down firelanes when they could be more upfront. I really like this scenario and recommend it, so give it a try for it’s unique fire lane flavor.
It’s always nice to play Rich, tanks buddy. 2-0

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... The next time I play this I’m going to give the MMGs to the 7-0 leaders because I feel like I wasted the minus modifier leaders putting down firelanes when they could be more upfront. ...
Like your thought process on this. Often times the initial shot just isn't worth dedicating a dash# leader to the shot (HS rush shot, soft hindrances, etc.) and the most effective aspect is the FL itself.?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My latest dice glass innovation. It’s clear plastic wrap held on by my ASL OPEN noise reducer. It works better than expected. It will be coming to a tournament near you soon.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is that an intended pun?
Yea, that's it, that's the ticket. An intended pun. Thanks for pointing that out to all the less-clever people who might not realize how clever I was.

JR

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yea, that's it, that's the ticket. An intended pun. Thanks for pointing that out to all the less-clever people who might not realize how clever I was.

JR
No problem

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

JR
I believe it is a double entendre also. At least a single entendre, that’s for sure.