Aar Sop

Fionn

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Quick question...

As I piped up that "tactical" AARs are, IMO, more interesting than AARs which focus less on tactics and can always be written, no matter how humdrum the battle might, at first, appear I suppose its time for me to put my mouth where my money is, as it were.

So, quick question...
Is it possible to upload the movie files and link to them from the forum? I'd, of course, provide the password etc in this current, ongoing game. We haven't actually started playing it yet but since it is set up as a German fighting withdrawal it should be tactically interesting since all of the military literature seems to agree that a fighting withdrawal is about the hardest manoeuvre to pull off succesfully.

Anyways, if someoen could answer the movie question I'd appreciate it as I dislike having to take multiple photos etc etc for AARs.

Fionn

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
No, really, don't all rush to answer at once :D

Seriously though, anyone have an answer?

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Well, I could not answer your "movie" question, that is why I was mute... (btw, did you plan to play with me? or some1 else? :) )

But I agree that tactical summary has values. In fact, if any comments I wrote after games at all, those are tactical points --- either to help myself or help others. The unfortunate thing about it is that probably for those who did not play the entire would have no clue as for what I was talking about ... so basically I only restrict such comments between my opponent and I.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Man, I still can't figure out my Etch-a-sketch much less post mpegs to a forum on the internet.

I'm just an ol' soldier reliving my youth with a fancy moving picture machine. :whlchr:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You should be able to upload the moves containing the "footage" as attachments here, after all, they are only .txt files after all - it would depend on whether or not you trusted your opponent not to peek at your force disposition if it was an ongoing battle, since he'd have access to your password.

Also, there's a limit on how big attachments can be - so that would also be a factor, if they were too big you'd have to link to them from another site where you'd stored them.

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Purist said:
Man, I still can't figure out my Etch-a-sketch much less post mpegs to a forum on the internet.
You wouldn't need to post anything as large as an MPEG - just the relevant turn file that relates to the moving footage - and that's just a .txt file.

Dr. S.

Fionn

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Sorry for the delay in replying here. Some building work near my house took out my phone line for about 3 days. It has only just come back online. If you think you should have gotten afile etc from me and u don't hear from me by tomorrow morning (Saturday) please email me again... I think my mail server got full and may have blocked some emails.

As to th topic at hand... Any idea what the limit on file size is? FWIW I was thinking of posting the txt files along with my password. If my opponent wishes to look and win the game by cheating then he just dishonours himself. I don't expect him to look though.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
I think even that file would be too big for attachment here, sir.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
File size...

Not sure I will check. If it is too big you can host it elsewhere and post a link. AirBiscuit did that for a movie on his aar.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roughly...

Roughly 200-300kb depends on the file type but defintely not enough for a movie. It would have to be hosted elseware. We might be able to post an aar with a movie in our "official AAR" section at CM HQ with an HTML formatted AAR, but 27 mb (airbiscuits movie) is still too big even for that. If we could get them down to more manageable sizes we might be able to do something.

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The reasons for that large of a file is twofold:

1. The movie ran 27.5 minutes.
2. The screen captures were full screen in size.

If you can put something together that goes for maybe 5 or 10 minutes and is half-screen in size, the file should be much more manageable. I will try to have my next movie be short and sweet, showing the highlights.