FreekS

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Powersweep for H3 ANW
Author David Steinmeyer

AAR by Freek Schepers

I tried Power Sweep from the NATO side.

As I started the game, I got a passive sonar contact from my brit SSN that was behaving as a submarine; it course was quickly plotted to be right towards me so I calculated intercept time at 2 hours and started moving Kobben at 12 knots at periscope depth to cover the area left by my SSN.

Two hours later the sub, now confirmed as Victor was at 6nm and two 81 knot torpedo's 'flew' towards it. destruction was instant w/o any chance of counterfire!

I next moved the Brit SSN at 20 knots (it would not go to Flank) to cover the Norwegian Kobben. Midway during the sprint a subcontact and torp were detected very close aboard! The torp disappeared and my counterfired spearfish missed.
When I slowed down it appeared a Russian Tango had fired from long range (presumably making a wrong TMA!). I slowed Trafalgar and moved her to the Tango. A few hours later I was in range and killed her with the magic Spearfish.

At the same time Kobben detected a Charly, still 20 nm away. It raced north when I fired at the Tango (even though it was 30nm away!), but now it creeped towards Kobben again. Kobben drifted at 5 knots.
Just when it was 4 nm away and I prepared to fire, Charly fired at me! Kobben 'raced' south at 17 knots after having fired 3 torps. Miraculously, Charlies torp seemed to circle and the third of Kobbens hit.

A pleasant small scen, probably very suitable for MP!

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good AAR and thanks for presenting it.

As a Hapr Newb I wonder at how to manage time compression in these kinds of scenarios. Did you use time compression and if so how?

Sunburn

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
The keys for time compression are:
"+" on keypad = accelerate time
"-" on keypad = decellerate time
"enter" on keypad = go back to 1-1sec time (real time) from whatever level of time acceleration you're currently in. Essentially an "emergency brake".

You can combine the time accel feature with the optional staff message pop-ups to do some nifty tricks. Say for example, that you want to use time-accel extensively but you're afraid you're not going to be able to revert to realtime fast enough if (for example) an enemy missile strike is detected, and thus you may lose a ship without even the chance to defend. In that case, you check the option "New Contact" from the staff message preferences, and then use time compression. Now, whenever you have a new contact, the staff message notification will pop-up and automatically bring the game to 1-1sec (realtime). The pop-up will have a "keep 1-1 time" checkbox; if you check it, then when you close the pop-up the game will remain at 1-1sec time and you can respond accordingly. If you prefer that the game goes back to the selected time compression after you close the message pop-up, then leave the "keep 1-1 time" checkbox unchecked.

This is just en axample of the creative ways you can use the staff message notifications.

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Blackcloud6 said:
As a Hapr Newb I wonder at how to manage time compression in these kinds of scenarios. Did you use time compression and if so how?
I normally set the compression quite high and just toggle the "Show New Contacts" for the messages function. This way, I can always hit the Escape key and the game can continue until the next contact is made.

Of course, if there are a lot of false or neutral contacts, this option is quite useless.

The game simply reports ALL new contacts regardless if they are airborne, surface, or sub-surface. Of course, it would be GREAT to be able to set the AI to only warn you of contacts you want to see (i.e. only sub contacts), but, as yet, H3 and ANW are unable to show this level of control.

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
FreekS said:
A pleasant small scen, probably very suitable for MP!
Evaamo and I tried this one twice in MP and you are right! Very challenging from whichever side you choose.