AAR - Per L'Onore Di Roma - Q6

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Played Per L'Onore Di Roma against Xenovin. (Not his real name. This is an alias he uses, as he is wanted by the Feds for mail fraud and drug distribution charges. But please don't tell anyone.)

He picked this because, "It was on top of the pile."

My Italian is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that the scenario title translates to "On Tuesdays, you get free garlic bread."

This was the second game we played that day. I was feeling pretty confident, as Xenovin had recently had surgery, and I was figuring that, by this point, his pain meds would really be kicking in and would make his game choices questionable. But he wouldn't share any with me, the bastard. To get back at him, I kept kicking his leg under the table.

Xenovin had the Italians. I had the defending Russians. This is a hard one to set up. The Italians have to take three out of four stone buildings. Russians have 4 squads, 2 HSs, and 2 crews to defend the village. But there are millions of Italians. They're like a swarm of little ants.

I probably should put a clarification in here. I may want to run for public office some day. I don't want headlines that read, "Major Issues - Italians Lower Than Ants???" So let me be perfectly clear. I have nothing, absolutely nothing, against ants.?????

Anyway, besides defending the victory buildings, the Russians need to defend the south edge against more ants, er, Italians, that come in on turn 3. Russians need to hold them back to keep them from screwing up the Russian reinforcements that come in on turn 4.

I had a squad, two HSs and some dummies to defend the south edge. Two MMGs put down fire lanes thru the grain to slow down entry from the west.

I1, I did little to stop The March Of The Ants. My light mortars did nothing. Over the next couple turns, he started to turn the SW corner, while my MMGs shot up his NW forces. I had a chance to really hurt the northern force, when I broke both MMG crews. He rallied one under DM, which saved him from having my crew charge and take the MMGs away. I charged anyway to DM some guys, but broke and died for failure to rout. (No Quarter was in effect. Xenovin killed them, possibly in revenge for me kicking him under the table.)

Turn 3, he has one building, and I'm down two crews. His southern reinforcements come in. I kill off a HS, break a couple squads. My MMG in the center of town goes on a tear. In two turns I get KIAs on two squads in cover.

My turn 4, my reinforcements come charging in like the U.S. Cavalry. I had exchanged the 8-0 for a Commissar. Turn 5, he rallies a broken conscript, the other squads make a solid wall on one side of the road, and the few Italians left call off the attack.

This is a very tense scenario, as there are so few initial Russians. My dice were hot, which helped.

This would be a good tournament scenario. It took 2-1/2 hours to play. Recommended!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
The Russian had his Vodka so no need to share - lol! The Ruskies had 2xMMG both putting down fire lanes forcing me to the right and left of the village. I wanted to mass on my right flank but had to send stuff to teh left which did hold those squads from moving against the treatened flank. But my right hand force once inside the minimum mortar range managed to break into the town but Ivan somehow figured I might try and cut his reinforcement entry area and help up the vaunted Italian assault with a squad and two HS. Too many broken Italians and left with 137s against 447s meant no CC for building control and the I-talians faded back into the woods.

here's the end view

This scenario was from Lone Canuck's Quick 6 pack. And yes, with my leg jacked up, hard to move around my office/ASL horde pile so this pack was sitting on top with this scenario visible though the back of the pack. Gotta pick them somehow lol