AAR - Out Of Their Element - FrF74

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
First scenario, and the most fun, that I played at WO was Out Of Their Element.

Lead-Tile.png

Played against Ray Woloszyn. We always have fun games, and this did not disappoint.

I had the Germans. I have a bunch of 548 squads and two Monster SiGs.

sdkfz 138 1 ausf m 26211210.jpg

I get two kick-ass 838s with a DC and FT as reinforcements. Russians have a buncha squads and an infantry gun, and get three groups of reinforcements, each coming from a different side. I have to clear the Russians from around a footbridge and a hill.

There are only two ways for the SiGs to get through - VBM on the left, or the road on the right. There was a lot of units covering the road, and I assumed that the ATR would be there. So I went left. It's farther away from the VC hexes, but it turned out to be mostly defended by concealment counters, so I made good progress the first two turns.

My SiGs went thru, but one went Low Ammo with its first shot, then got Big Stunned by a sniper the next turn. D'oh!!! But Ray's INF gun malf'ed on its first shot, never to return.

My troops were making good progress, going through the defenders like poop thru a Russian goose. The Russian reinforcements have limited entry areas, and his turn 4 reinforcements (2 527s) had to come in in a grain field. I set up my remaining SiG and the 838 with the FT to make their entry a harsh one.

Took out the Russian MMG and ATR. So the Russian Fort Apache is now the hill. I get an 838 into the stone rubble at one end of the footbridge that one of his reinforcement groups has to enter on.

So far, I am crushin' it. But, as Sun Tzu said in The Art Of War, "Manure Happens." His two 527 reinforcements advance on concealed into the grain. My Prep, the FT not only breaks, but cowers, so I can't fire the 838. The SiG hits, but his squad passes his MC.

I try to throw a DC on his crew with an 8-0. He breaks and wounds, leaving the DC in the street.

My 838 who didn't read the FT manual gets broken by a 527. "Elite" my shiny pasty white butt.

Assaulting the hill, I break some Russians, but he breaks guys in return, and he has a good rally building on the back side of the hill. Another turn of 1-2 hex range shooting, more of the same. I break, he breaks. I try to pick up the abandoned DC, but get broken.

My SiG is trying to hold back two 527s by himself. He has no MG, and can't IF. His reinforcements who are crossing the footbridge are held up by the 838 in the stone rubble.

footbridgethW3EDBYY3.jpg
"We have to get this vodka across to the Heroic Soviet Defenders!!!"

I have to reduce the Russians to less than three GO squad equivalents on the hill and bridge. With all the broken guys on the hill, two CCs going on, and one squad who Berserked during rally, Ray has only two GO squads on the hill.

A 6+3 shot, which included the gunless 228 crew, breaks the wimpy, wimpy 838 guarding the bridge. I concede. My SiG can only take out one squad, and his two squads
on the footbridge have no one to stop them from advancing into the stone rubble. Even if everything goes my way on the hill, he will still have his three squads near the bridge.

Very exciting game, with a lot of back and forth. As with all games I have played with Ray, it came down to the end. Highly recommended!!!