AAR - Operation Nordwind - CH44A

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Played this against Xenovin. I had never played this, so I blew the dust off of it. He had the updated 44A version, which I did not have. The 44A version replaces an American 8-0 with an 8-1. This is how we played it.

Germany, New Year's Day, 1945. All Is Quiet On New Year's Day? No. SS with a StuH 42 and two Flamm Hetzers are coming to ruin the party. 'muricans have some infantry and a 57L AT gun. They have to defend two bridges on board 13.

Xenovin, if that is his real name, had the SS. I put the .50 cal and the AT gun behind the stream, the MMG by one bridge.

The SS cross board 18 without incident. As his infantry starts moving onto board 13, shooting starts, but I can't do much. After one 666 First Fires, he decides to Vehicle Bypass Sleaze him with the StuH 42.

Background - this always works against me. Always. My heroic men can't shoot out, then get broken by giant adjacent stacks in Advancing Fire.

Except this time. I pass my PAATC and roll snakes in CC Reaction Fire, killing the StuH and creating an 8-0!!!

As it happens, this StuH had certain field modifications that made it more vulnerable to attack.

A Flamm Hetzer moves behind a wall to toast some bridge defenders, while the other risks bog to cross the stream and move by my .50 cal. So I have a side shot at 8 hexes, and a frontal shot at 1 hex with my AT gun. Gotta go for the side shot! Hit, kill, but lose rate. IF against the adjacent Hetzer. Can we find an APDS shell??? YES!!!! We have just one left!!!!

Which bounces.

The Hetzer then proceeds to make life miserable for the gun and the .50 cal. My guys defending one bridge are doing pretty well against his SS, and have even killed a couple guys. But then the Hetzer shows up, rolls low, and makes me weep bitter, bitter tears.

Fun scenario, and quick, but I had no answer for the Hetzer after the AT gun went down. If he bogged in the stream, or my APDS shot had penetrated, I very well might have won.

Footnote - CH44A is not listed on ROAR, only CH44.

Note for scenario designers - if there is Snow, by default all water obstacles are frozen, so the stream is basically a gully. (E3.722) This might happen if it is -37 degrees, but generally in winter, most rivers and streams will not be frozen solid. To keep the water flowing like Guinness on St. Patrick's Day when there is snow on the ground, you have to specify that it is not frozen by SSR. This turns it into a Frigid Water Obstacle (B20.7), which it totally sucks to enter. But it would be more realistic for a lot of winter scenarios.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
As a point I aslo always get sleezed by armor when I’m in a building usually followed by a DC through the window. So I was like, yes nows my chance to do it to my opponent. And my StuG in motion gets KIA. Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!

It helped a was rolling low for all my MCs and kept the DM hats on the GIs. I found 44A over at the ASL scenario archive site so that’s how I knew to look for it. JRV doesn’t have all the bling.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
As a point I aslo always get sleezed by armor when I’m in a building usually followed by a DC through the window. So I was like, yes nows my chance to do it to my opponent. And my StuG in motion gets KIA. Aaaaarrrrggghhhh!

It helped a was rolling low for all my MCs and kept the DM hats on the GIs. I found 44A over at the ASL scenario archive site so that’s how I knew to look for it. JRV doesn’t have all the bling.