AAR - One Step Forward - ASLUG 6

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I have been busy searching for a new career, but I took some time off to play Gunny Thompson. I have picked up a few job hunting tips that I thought I would share to keep you from making the same mistakes as me:

In the ‘Skills’ section of your resume, don’t put ‘proficient in IIFT’.

Don’t list your parole officer and Perry Cocke as references.

Under ‘Career Goals’, don’t list ‘Play a complete Red Barricades campaign game’.

Under ‘Achievement You Are Most Proud Of’, don’t put ‘Beat JRV in Directive Number Three’.

Don’t wear your ASLOK shirt to the job interview.

Don’t ask if they have VASL installed on the company computers.

Played the old ASLUG scenario One Step Forward, with Gunny as the Germans. I had the French, upholders of decency, goodness, dignity and culture in a world filled with crassness and vulgarity. Though we do eat horsemeat.

We had played most of the ASLUG ones back in the day, but had never played this one. French with tanks have to take buildings away from elite Germans with popguns.

Sometimes, Life gives you a sign that you may be in for a bad day. Here was my sign:

I figured that the AT guns would be ready for a frontal assault on the village, so all of my tanks zoomed down the road CE before hanging a left to approach the side and rear of the village. But the R2s are so slow that it still took them three turns. I did get both Somuas in position to shoot at the rear of his forward units on turn 1.

One of the forward stone buildings was unoccupied, so I was able to take it on turn 1. All of my infantry were lined up to duke it out with Jim’s three forward squads in stone buildings. It looked very Napoleonic. I quickly broke and captured two of the squads.

F1, an ATR shot DI’ed one Somua, even with the armor plate covering the road wheels.

I soon had the remaining forward squad encircled, surrounded by Frenchmen with skinny mustaches and haughty attitudes.

And could not break them.

Jim did indeed have one AT gun forward, but, knowing how sneaky I am, had it pointing towards the back flank. It took out the immobilized Somua. The other AT gun was in the rear, and took out another tank.

Up front, the encircled squad was shooting and breaking everything in sight, with help from the troops across the street. Meanwhile, my French were acting, well, French, with most of my attack rolls being ‘10s’. I think I got one hit with a tank all game, but it had no effect.

Late in the game, Jim charged a 468 forward to try to DM a bunch of my broken squads. I had several shots, including a 4-2, but his squad passed everything. He said later that he had forgotten that I had rallied the one squad, otherwise he might not have risked a 4-2 shot.

My turn, I thought that I might have a chance if I could VBF some squads and charge in for CC. But Jim immobilized one tank, and another failed his Non-Platoon Movement TC. The French threw in the towel like the cheese-eating surrender monkeys they are. We withdrew back to the cafe to await the Vichy regime.

I never did take the other forward building with the encircled 468. Jim had a good setup and a good plan, and I just couldn’t roll. I do recommend the scenario. And the Brie and Onion Galette.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
We'll have to play again at ASLOK! Of course, I would not want to be part of any of your hilarious AAR's. If we can agree on that, we'll play!

PS: If still job hunting, maybe MAD Magazine is hiring.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been busy searching for a new career, but I took some time off to play Gunny Thompson. I have picked up a few job hunting tips that I thought I would share to keep you from making the same mistakes as me:

In the ‘Skills’ section of your resume, don’t put ‘proficient in IIFT’.

Don’t list your parole officer and Perry Cocke as references.

Under ‘Career Goals’, don’t list ‘Play a complete Red Barricades campaign game’.

Under ‘Achievement You Are Most Proud Of’, don’t put ‘Beat JRV in Directive Number Three’.

Don’t wear your ASLOK shirt to the job interview.

Don’t ask if they have VASL installed on the company computers.

Played the old ASLUG scenario One Step Forward, with Gunny as the Germans. I had the French, upholders of decency, goodness, dignity and culture in a world filled with crassness and vulgarity. Though we do eat horsemeat.

We had played most of the ASLUG ones back in the day, but had never played this one. French with tanks have to take buildings away from elite Germans with popguns.

Sometimes, Life gives you a sign that you may be in for a bad day. Here was my sign:
View attachment 8977

I figured that the AT guns would be ready for a frontal assault on the village, so all of my tanks zoomed down the road CE before hanging a left to approach the side and rear of the village. But the R2s are so slow that it still took them three turns. I did get both Somuas in position to shoot at the rear of his forward units on turn 1.
View attachment 8978

One of the forward stone buildings was unoccupied, so I was able to take it on turn 1. All of my infantry were lined up to duke it out with Jim’s three forward squads in stone buildings. It looked very Napoleonic. I quickly broke and captured two of the squads.

F1, an ATR shot DI’ed one Somua, even with the armor plate covering the road wheels.

I soon had the remaining forward squad encircled, surrounded by Frenchmen with skinny mustaches and haughty attitudes.

And could not break them.

Jim did indeed have one AT gun forward, but, knowing how sneaky I am, had it pointing towards the back flank. It took out the immobilized Somua. The other AT gun was in the rear, and took out another tank.

Up front, the encircled squad was shooting and breaking everything in sight, with help from the troops across the street. Meanwhile, my French were acting, well, French, with most of my attack rolls being ‘10s’. I think I got one hit with a tank all game, but it had no effect.

Late in the game, Jim charged a 468 forward to try to DM a bunch of my broken squads. I had several shots, including a 4-2, but his squad passed everything. He said later that he had forgotten that I had rallied the one squad, otherwise he might not have risked a 4-2 shot.

My turn, I thought that I might have a chance if I could VBF some squads and charge in for CC. But Jim immobilized one tank, and another failed his Non-Platoon Movement TC. The French threw in the towel like the cheese-eating surrender monkeys they are. We withdrew back to the cafe to await the Vichy regime.

View attachment 8979

I never did take the other forward building with the encircled 468. Jim had a good setup and a good plan, and I just couldn’t roll. I do recommend the scenario. And the Brie and Onion Galette.

Good luck on job hunting.

Sounds like this time the French we're asking "What are you doing in France?" and getting a good taunting as well.