AAR of Small SPMBT Battle

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings,

As this area of the forum gets little use I decided to start making use of it.I will begin to provide AAR for some of the never ending battles I play against the computer.

These battles are never intended to simulate the actual armies involved or the actions that they would take,meaning I basically play for fun and rarely concern myself with historical realism or proper troop mixes.

In this first posted battle I'll be taking the Russian Federation against the Chechnyan Republic.

Time -September 2004
Place -Chechnya
Type -Meeting
Map -40 high/50 wide
Points-950 each
Purchase-Computer Buys both sides.
All realism settings on.
Zero Air sorties per side.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 1

No sign of anything yet,Russian APC group* moving down only road running east-west on the map between forces. A half dozen rifle sections take southern wooded area of map working in two teams of 3 each.HQ,SAM and Mortar elements remain safely on my side of the map.

* Russian APC Group
...x3 BTR-80
...x3 Mech Section
...x3 BMP-3 (-) (R)
...x3 Mech Section
...x1 BMP 1M
...x2 30mm AGS-17 GL
...x1 RPG-16D Team

Additional Russian Forces
...x6 Rifle Section
...x1 Headquarters
...x1 SA-16 Inf SAM
...x1 3x 82mm M37 Mortars

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 2

The BTR-80's move up capturing a victory hex then upon cresting the next hill one is fired on when the mech section exits the APC, by a 7.62mm PKMS MMG and one man is lost,APC and section return fire with no results.
The rest of the APC group moves up and the southern rifle sections make there way toward the victory hexes in the wooded south area.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 3

The BTR-80 destroys the 7.62 PKMS MMG unit and is fire upon by a Chechnyan rifle section in the roadway.BTR-80 returns fire removing one man.My 2 AGL-17 GL sections and the RPG-16D team fan out and make there way toward the victory hex and spotted rifle section.A BMP-3 goes to the hilltop and fires at the spotted rifle section causing numerous casualties,the four remaining chechnyans head for the hills.
The 2nd BTR-80 heads west down the road abit and spots another rifle section,its fires upon them killing 2 and making them retreat.3rd BTR-80 moves to hilltop position near the first one and it's rifle section is fired upon by another 7.62mm PKMS MMG and we lose a man.
APC and section return fire destroying the unit and we lose another man.The BMP 1M moves up and destroys a routed
rifle section. The three BMP-3's position themselves to support the other troops and the one to the south makes for a victory hex on a muddy hill.Set Mortars to fire upon a Chechnyan victory hex area in the southern woods with a 0.3 delay.

During computer phase another Chechnyan rifle section appears and is shot at by my troops and my mortars landed uneventfully.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 4

One of my Russian mech sections exchanges fire with the enemy rifle section in the roadway and we each lose a man.The BTR-80 supporting the mech section fires upon them killing two.I move up the lone BMP-1M and finish them off.I move one of the other BTR-80's to a position north of the Chechnyan victory hex and find another Chechnyan rifle section only a hex away.
Surprizingly it doesnt attack when I come into range.The BTR-80 and its Mech Section open up on the enemy causing it to lose 4 men and move one hex west.I move up the last BTR-80 for close support.Suspecting more Chechnyans about I stop next to the other BTR-80 and when the Mech Section unloads it is promptly fired upon by a Chechnyan 7.62mm PKMS MMG from the tree line to the north and we lose a man.BTR-80 returns fire destroying the MMG unit.
BMP-3's move up to support except for the one engaged in taking the victory hex.The 6 Rifle Sections continue to make slow progress through the southern woods.

During the enemy phase from just south of the roadway to the west a Chechnyan AT-4b Fakturiya Team lights up my BMP-1M and a
30mm AGS-17 GL that was in the same hex. Both are gone.
I posted a pic from beginning of turn 5 before I've moved to reflect this loss of equipment.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 5

After reducing suppression on my RPG-16D Team I move it up to peer out over the area ahead,a burning BMP-1M clearly in view.
I have new respect for the enemies AT equipment.I won't be hanging any more APC's out to dry like that.
The 30mm ASG-17 GL moves up with the RPG team.Just to the northeast on the roadway I failed to rally a Russian mech section so the BTR-80 there will hold position.
The Russian mech section that was making its way to the victory hex south of the road captured the hex,however the supporting BMP-3 got stuck in the mud attempting to gain better position to extract the team back to the roadway.It now overlooks a somewhat open area just to the west of the victory hex.It's side badly exposed, an easy kill for that lurking AT team.
I set the Mortars to fire upon the general area of the Chechnyan AT team with a 1.3 delay.
The six southern Russian rifle sections have become abit more spread out as they go after various unclaimed vic hexes in the denser wooded area south of the roadway.Two teams of two rifle sections each and two teams of one section each.
One of the BTR-80's mech sections fires at the visible Chechnyan rifle section,killing one and causing them to scatter, while the BTR-80's maintain thier positions the mech sections check the nearby woods for signs of the enemy.The two fully active BMP-3's and mech sections hold position.

During computer phase enemy 3x 82mm mortar fire peppers the mud hill where the BMP-3 is stuck and the mech section have taken the vic hex,one of the mech section was killed.
Pic shows relative position of immobilized vehicle to the rest of the APC group.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 6

The battle has quieted down and I suspect most of the Chechnyan forces have been removed from this northwest area of the map.
The southwest of the map still has 4 Chechnyan vic hexes.
My RPG team and the mech section in the roadway remain pinned,the supporting BTR-80 standing by.The 30mm AGS-17 GL moves a hex west.One of the BTR-80 mech section makes its way to the enemy vic hex capturing it,then closer to the road just in front of the burning BMP-1M in a building hex.The other active BTR-80 mech section makes it's way a couple hex's west to a building hex to the northwest of the just captured vic hex.
All the southern rifle sections move west as well as the mech section near the immobilized BMP-3.
Supporting BTR-80's and BMP-3's(w/mech sections) north of the roadway move west cautiously.

During enemy phase an 82mm mortar barrage hits in the area of the BTR-80 and the pinned mech section in the roadway.One mortar round hits the BTR-80 causing no damage.
My mortars land and I see the location of a Chechnyan 82mm Mortar south of the roadway to the west.
Pic shows captured vic hex area.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 7

The Russian mech section that was near the immobilized BMP-3 makes its way to the southwest toward two Chechnyan victory hexes.I am still unable to rally the mech section in the road as well as the RPG-16D team and one BTR-80 still remains in the area waiting for them to unpin.The 30mm AGs-17 GL moves a hex west.
The Russian mech section that was near the road moves to hexes west along the north side of the road.It spots a Chechnyan 82mm Mortar on the south side of the road and fires at it with no results.
The two BTR-80's and two BMP-3's along with three mech sections get into the roadway thats runs from corner to corner in upper left side of map and are poised make a push south on the next turn.In the south finally some action two of my rifle sections catch fire from the southwest from two enemy rifle sections,we return fire killing one.A third Russian rifle section moves in from the east of the enemy,spots them,and fires upon them with no results.I set my mortars to fire upon the general area of the newly discovered forces with a 0.3 delay(Pre spotted hex )

During the computer phase another enemy rifle section appears and we exchange fire but nobody is killed on either side.My Mortars land in behind the enemy.
Pic shows positions of my involved rifle sections near the newly discovered enemy.Took the snap at beginning of turn 8 before moving and was unable to get the third enemy rifle section in the picture just to the west.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 8

The Russian mech section that spotted the enemy Mortar fires at it from across the roadway killing two.Then the section moves onto the enemy mortar hex and fires at them again with no effect.
The 30mm GL and RPG team (now unpinned) move down the road to the west to support the mech section.Russian mech section remains pinned to the east down the road near BTR-80.Mech section near dual Chechnyan vic hexes moves closer to them.
Russian mech section operating near main part of APC group moves south to the crossroads and finds a third Chechnyan 82mm Mortar,fires upon it,destroying it.Rest of the APC group moves to area of the crossroads.
In the southern woods I move a rifle section east of the enemy two hexes closer to them.The other Russian rifle sections open up on two of the three visible enemy sections.After an exchange of fire we remove 5 of the enemy and lose one of ours.One enemy section was forced to retreat.My rifle sections have a terrain advantage and look down upon the enemy from a small wooded hill.

During enemy phase thier mortars land without effect.In the southern woods,a small firefight results in one more enemy killed and another section of thiers retreating.
Pic shows APC group at the crossroads near enemy mortar deployment area.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 9

In the wooded south the three Russian rifle sections continue to fire upon the visible Chechnyan rifle sections. Two more of my rifle sections move west to capture unclaimed vic hexes just north of this and spot the enemy as well also firing upon them,the firefight results in no causulties for either side.
The last of the Russian rifle sections not involved in this firefight move west down the roadway.A Russian mech section edges closer to the twin Chechnyan vic hexes.My mech section on the enemy mortar hex destroys them then moves a hex south.The 30mm GL moves south into the woods.The RPG team moves west down the road.BTR-80 captures Chechnyan vic hex just southwest of the crossroads,then moves to hex where its mech section has advanced into the woods.The other BTR-80 moves east down the road and picks up the RPG-16D team then moves to the south next to the mech section allready there.BMP-3's (w mech sections) move to support this action.
The pinned Russian mech section on the road is finally ready to fight and is prompty loaded onto the waiting BTR-80 which moves east down the road then south into the woods headed to the area of three unclaimed vic hex's close to the firefight happening down there.

During computer phase the enemy loses 2 more men in the southern fighting and enemy mortar fire falls harmlessly into the woods north of the road.
Pic shows position of twin Chechnyan vic hexes in relation to Russian APC Group.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 10

Russian APC group moves south and routs the enemy 3x 82mm Mortar.Mech section that was headed to twin Chechnyan vic hexes makes a turn east and now heads toward an unclaimed one.
I'm alittle perplexed as to exactly where the Chechnyan AT-4b Faktoriya team has made off to.
In the south fighting continues claiming three Chechnyans and two of my Russian troops.Two more rifle sections make there way to unclaimed hexes as well as the last rifle section and the BTR-80(w/mech section).I set mortars to fire upon area near where remaining enemy is with a 0.1 delay(preplanned hex),

During comp phase they lose another man,my mortars land causing a fire in the woods,and the enemy 3x 82mm mortars retreat.
Pic shows remaining visible enemy held area at beginning of turn 11.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 11

Russian mech section captures unclaimed hex,Rifle section does the same and moves again west catching some enemy fire.To the south another of my rifle sections leaves the hilltop cover and attempts to advance upon the enemy.It catches heavy fire from a Chechnyan RPG-7V team as well as several rifle sections.One of my advancing troops is killed and they are forced to move a hex east.Engaged rifle sections continue fighting.
Two BMP-3's and a BTR-80(with mech sections) move toward the Chechnyan hexes.The RPG-16D team destroys the 3x 82mm mortar.One BTR-80 with mech section and the AGS-17 GL search the woods for the missing enemy AT-4B Faktoriya team.Set mortars to fire at same area again.

During the computer phase my exposed rifle section in the south that had attempted to move up and had been forced to retreat a hex comes under continuing heavy fire and loses 2 men,retreats a hex lose 2 more and the unit breaks up.My mortar fire lands near the enemy.
Pic: Arrow shows northernmost visible enemy and Russian units collapsing upon thier position.Also just captured vic hexes.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 12

Fighting in the south claims three Chechnyans and I am unable to rally three of my rifle sections.Two more mech sections,a rifle section and BTR-80 continue to push at the enemy.
The Chechnyans are attempting to make a push of there own here and have captured the final unclaimed victory hex.There seem to be about 7 Chechnyan rifle sections,at various manpower levels, and the RPG-7V team in the area.
Two Russian BMP-3's and a BTR-80 with mech sections and an RPG-16D team are in position to capture the twin Chechnyan victory hexes on the next turn.
The AGS-17 GL sights the enemy Headquarters in the roadway to the north and fires killing two. A BTR-80 moves in to support and fires at the HQ killing two more and the Chechnyan HQ moves a couple spaces west during all this.Still no sign of the enemy AT-4B Faktoriya team.I set the mortars again.

During enemy phase we manage to remove three more of the enemies troops and the firefight is pretty fierce at this point with many units firing in the area.My mortars land closebye.
Pic from beginning turn 13 shows enemy push area and just captured enemy vic hex.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 13

A Russian BTR-80 finishes off the Chechnyan HQ unit,then picks up the 30mm AGS-17 GL and heads east down the road then south.
The BMP-3's (w/mech sections)are just to the west of the twin vic hexes now.
Another BTR-80 loaded with an RPG-16D team and a mech section minus some men unload just to the north of a Chechnyan vic hex and are immedietly fired upon by the Chechnyan Faktoriya team.They kill my RPG-16D team.
The enemy AT team happen to be right in the sights of the immobilized BMP-3 and the vehicle finishes them off.
In the south I fail to rally three rifle sections and a mech section,but the fighting continues and help is on the way.

Enemy phase results in four of my troops dead and my mortars land in area of vic hex behind enemy.
Pic shows three of four Chechnyan vic hexes and the area of thier last stand to the east.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 14

A Russian BTR-80 moves a couple hexes southeast and captures a vic hex in the process.It spots two new Chechnyan rifle sections to the southeast moving north toward a Russian owned vic hex.
The BTR-80 fires upon the northmost section killing two,but the southern section returns fire and destroys the BTR-80 with RPG7V fire.The mech section that was with them fires back at the offenders killing two and forces them to retreat a hex.My mech section is also fired upon by something from the south,probably another enemy rifle section. The BMP-3's hold position while the other three mech sections take a look.
To the east a Russian file section advances toward the Chechnyan positions catching fire but killing one enemy on an allready low rifle section and forcing them to retreat.
A Russian mech section low on men is rallied close to the nearby vic hex and spots an anemy RPG-7V team and destroys them,but from the west another Chechnyan rifle section attacks them killing one of ours and routes my section.
A mech section moves two hexes south through the woods and captures the Chechnyan vic hex.The supporting BTR-80 moves up and my forces kill one enemy from a rifle section and force them to retreat.A russian rifle section moves in from the east and catch heavy fire spotting another enemy RPG-7V team.They attack it losing one and do no damage.Another rifle section loses a man and attacks the RPG with no result.

During computer phase the fighting is intense and the enemy desperately seeks to destroy my BTR-80 parked on the vic hex.The BTR-80 survives one RPG shot as well as a close assualt by the enemy.I still lose four men though and only kill one enemy in the fighting.
Pic from beginning of turn 15,shows last of the enemy held ground on the map including two just captured now Russian vic hexes. In the northwest corner the BTR-80 that the enemy destroyed.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 15

My troops make very little progress on this turn,I manage to capture the other of the twin vic hexes but lose four more men on the turn as well as the BTR-80 (crew running),and the enemy only lost a couple men.
I dont have a whole lot of troops left and only three active APC's so the situation is very much in question at this time.The enemy refuses to give up thier remaining ground easily.

On the computer turn we lose a couple more men and the enemy retakes the vic hex and sends my troops running.
Pic from beginning next turn shows recaptured Chechnyan vic hex near abandoned Russian BTR-80.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 16

One of my Russian mech sections moves out east near the twin vic hexes and is shot at losing one.The section spots a SA-18 Ilga SAM team and fires upon them,they flee southeast.
A Russian BMP-3 sweeps to the south of the mech section and destroys the SAM team.When the mech section in the BMP-3 exits its fired upon by what appeared to be some kind of autocannon and we lose two men.
None of my troops are able to spot the source of the fire.I attempt to move a mech section against an anemy rifle section but I lose two men and my section flees.I move in the only other unit I have in the area ,a BMP-3 and it spots another enemy rifle section in position to damage some retreating and pinned sections I have with a few men each.We kill one and the enemy retreats.
From the north a Russian rifle section attacks the enemy and loses a man.The only APC in the area moves up and attacks the same enemy section killing one of the enemy.
Another Russian rifle section fires at the enemy with no effect.
I am unable to rally the rest.

During enemy phase we kill three of a Chechnyan rifle section near the twin vic hexes and it disbands.We also kill one more from another section.The enemy goes after the BTR-80 and manages to hit it with some 40mm GL fire with no effect.My mortar smoke bombs fall into area of fighting hopefully blocking some vision.
Pic from beginning of next turn shows remaining BMP-3's and area of mystery enemy fire marked by the cursor arrow.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 17

A Russian rifle section fires at a Chechnyan rifle section and hits nothing but return fire from two enemy sections kills two of ours.The BTR-80 fires at a Chechnyan rifle section and kills one making it move.The BTR-80 is supporting two Russian rifle sections and a AGS-17 GL at this point,there is one more rifle section further south and a couple 2-3 man mech sections running for it.
Near the twin vic hex area we kill a few men from a Chechnyan rifle section and make them disband.Unable to rally the two 5 man mech sections to have a look around, I Park the two BMP-3's in a safe place waiting for all the units nearby to unpin.

During computer phase the hair stands on the back of my neck as a Chechnyan RPG-7V team appears directly in front of the two BMP-3's and take a couple shots thankfully with no results,the return fire from the BMP-3's kills one and makes the enemy move.
To the east the enemy liquidates one of my mech sections.
Pic shows most of my forces in the NE and NW of picture with cursor arrow showing area that Chechnyan rifle section was destroyed.

Last edited:

Skirmisher

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 18

When I start this turn I notice that the Chechnyans have gained a vic hex north of the fighting area.I also come to the realization that I cant really do anything but hold the ground at this point.The APC's certainly could be ambushed very easily and the manpower levels of the various mech and rifle sections is just to low at this point to continue advancing.
At twin vic hex area I rally one mech section and move it next to an RPG-7V team,they lose and man but when returning fire the RPG team surrenders to them.In the area to the east I can only rally the BTR-80,which I move to a safe spot,and the AGS-17 GL.
The 30mm AGS-17 GL fires at the only visible Chechnyan rifle section and kills one making them move away.

During the enemy turn they attack a BMP-3 in the west and in the north (immobile) but the reactive cell armor defeats the RPG-7V warheads.A Chechnyan RPG-7V team as well as a rifle section both lose one man each in the fighting and both retreat.
Pic at beginning of next turn shows burning ,smoke filled Chechnyan ground I seem to be unable to capture.Cursor arrow shows vic hex worth 205 making it the most valuable one in the area.

Last edited: