AAR NORDIC LIGHT1.1 Rasmus VS FOGGY GAME2

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Planning for Nordic Light 1.1 versus Foggy.
This was my second game as the russians against Foggy. The first ended in a slim draw due to a sneaky move of mine in the last turn.

Lessons learned from our previous game.
Protect my supply lines in force.
Never let my units get Blitzfever and wind up surrounded behind enemy lines.
Enlarge bridgeheads systematically and never count on overstacking to protect me.
Keep the goal in sight and secure the access routes to Norway.
Knock Finland out quickly or be beaten Badly.

In order to achieve an Overwhelming victory, it is necessary to secure at least Copenhagen or Oslo or ALL swedish and finnish objectives. Oslo is the more difficult, but here the VPs are permanent. In order to secure these I need to have Marine BDEs and Airbourne battalions available. Therefore it is necessary to refit some of these units in sufficient amounts from turn 3 or 4. IN Siberian Heats AAR he only succeded in capturing Helsinki in the last turns of the game. In my first game against Foggy he kicked the russian forces in southern Finland around for the whole game. In the end a few regiments held on to a small out of supply pocket on the coast. Clearly I do not posses the offensive skill to take Helsinki by a frontal or even flanking attack. "Aber dann haben wir anderen metoden". :devious:

Plan:
Turn 01. I will use all my available Airborne and marine units to secure Oulu , Rovaniemi and the coastal population centers of Finland. Primary goal the surrender of the Lapland Army, Secondary goal surrender of Southern finnish forces. The overall goal is to knock Finland out of the war within the first few turns. In Sweden I will secure the reinforcements sites with Seaborne invasions. Elements of the 38MRD and 26gMRD will attempt to secure Stockholm with a flanking attack. In southern Sweden the 58 MRD will secure the beaches and Malmø. 17 and 33 MRD will secure the northern access route to Gothenburg but make no attack into the city.
Execution.
My first round is almost completely succesfull. In northern Finland all my objectives are secured. Unless Matt can retrieve one of either Oulu or Rovaniemi this turn, the Forces in Lapland will surrender.
In southern Finland the city of Pori withstands my airborne attack. If the Mech Bde stationed here are activated this turn, my paratroopers will be in dire straits. Helsinki falls to a combined attack of the entire 55th Naval Division and 5 batallions of paratroopers.
In Sweden all first round objectives are met. Stockholm is secured with minimal losses. Due to the tenacious resistance of the Swedes, I am forced to use paratroopers to blast my way onto the beaches in several places.

Foggys turn 01.
As feared the Mech BDE at Pori activates and starts to goggle up paratroopers. Luckily I hang on to the rest of the finninsh objectives. In Sweden Foggys moves forward to contain my bridgeheads and manages to chase me out of Trelleborg and Ystad. This is not good as it will delay the arrival of two MRDs for at least one turn.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Foggys Turn 01 continued.
I hate watching my opponents turn on playback. The inability to act while my plans are being thwarted is insufferable. Foggy lives up to my expectations. The counterattacks are ferocious and I lose 2 reinforcement sites in southern Sweden and 1 in east central Sweden. That is three divisions that will arrive at least a turn later. Luckily all my supply points survive although I bite my nails as a single recon BTN is completely surrounded in Norrkøping.
In Lapland a mix of mech and armor BTNs starts to kick my armoured 18gTKD around. This looks like a classic Foggy beats Rasmus routine. But, when I start up my second turn the good news arrive. Finland surrenders and my perfect plan comes to life.

:D :cheeky: :bounce:

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Rasmus turn 02.
My original plan was as follows:
Turn 02-03.
The collapse of the Lapland army will free up 8 divisions. Half of these will be sent south to help
secure the finnish mainland. Depending on the success of the first wave, this should be over in three or four turns (perhaps wildly optimistic). The other half will proceed to the coast where they will put pressure on Luleå.
In Sweden I will use a combined seaborne attack and land attack to attempt to secure Gothenburg. In southern Sweden I will try to secure the line between Helsingborg – Esløv - Ystad.
In eastern Sweden I will attempt a linkup between the three bridegheads around Norrkøping, Nynæshamn and Stockholm.
My plan be comes revised as follows. The Collapse of finland frees up twelve divisions. I will secure my beachheads in Sweden and prepare my finnish forces for shipping to the swedish theater, and use all of my 8 Lapland divisions to pu pressure on put pressure on Luleå. I will rest as many Marine and airbourne units as possible.

On the my second turn I manages to take Gothenburg and recapture my reinforcement sites in Sweden . I now face the dillemma of downgrading the garrison in my reinforcement sites and risk capture or maximise it and slow my reinforcements. I try to find the proper balance but only time will tell. In Lapland I am in a race against Foggy about who reachesand breaches the river Torneelven.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 02 sees Foggy manouvering a lot trying to solidify his lines. Most of his attacks are unsuccesfull, but me manages to kick me back from the one bridge I had captured on Torneelven in Lappland.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
My turn 03 is spend enlarging my bridgeheads in Sweden. I achieve linkup between the Stockholm and Norrkøping BHs. In Lapland Foggy blows the bridge between Kemi and Torneå further delaying my attack against Luleå. It will be at least another round before my forces in Lapland are ready for the big push across Torneelven. I fear he will be entrenched in force at that time. The shipping of forces from Finland to Sweden has begun.

Turn 03 sees a ferocious counterattack by Foggy that puts pressure on Gothenburg and recaptures Stockholm. He is concentrating in the north and evacuating Gotland. I need my air forces in Sweden soon, but first I must capture some airfields.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 04-08 Overall plan.
Primary objectives are. Link up between Eastern and Western forces in central Sweden. Secondary objectives are securing of southern norwegian approach, Capture of Visby, military airfield, Luleå and Jønkøping. Last will be approached from the west only. General plan: Heavy use of reinforcements from the finnish theatre in central Sweden. Constant reinforcement of The Gothenburg beachhead. Only minor attacks in southern Sweden. R&R to at least three (preferably four) Marine BDEs and one or two airborne divisions. Forces around Stockholm will attack in the Västerås - Køping - Ørebro axis.

Turn 04 sees the encirclement of Stockholm completed in force. North of Gothenburg heavy fighting is going on, with supply being cut and reestablished on and off. In Lappland I recapture the bridge over Torneelven at Pello with heavy losses to 131 MRD. Next turn I think I will be ready for the big push across Torneelven.

Turn 04 sees Foggy putting pressure on Gothenburg and around Stockholm. Reinforcements run up and down the eastern coastal highway. I might want to consider blowing some bridges. In the North he starts fortifying along Torneelven. In the south the lines solidifies across Skåne.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 05 sees the russians steadily enlarging their control over central Sweden, recapture of Stockholm and heavy fighting North of Gothenburg. In Lapland I throw two divisions across Torneelven and is posed to push for a third Bridgehead next turn. Southern Sweden is quiet pushing on boring.

Foggys turn 05 is the first turn where the replay do no have me cringing with fear. In the North I hold on my . In central Sweden I only lose a couple of hexes. In the south all holds. I think My weight of numbers is starting to tell.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 06
My plan is to continue to put pressure on Luleå and prepare for a seaborne invasion in one or two turns. I will invade Gotland to capture the 20 VPs and attack in the direction of Jønkøping from the Gothenburg BH out flanking from the north. I think I will acheieve the link up in two turns. Only joker is how the expected NATO entry will affect me.

I invade Gotland with 3 Marine BDEs and an airbourne BDE. Visby falls with light losses. In the North 3 full divisions are now across Torneelven with elements fo three more also across. The fighting North of Gothenburg is mostly over and I start putting pressure on the Military airfields from both east and west.I blow bridges all over the northern part of sweden. No more shuffling BDEs around for the foreseeable future.

Turn 06 sees Foggy counterattacking across the board . He regains a few hexes in the North , puts pressure on Norrkøping and eliminates an isolated MRD regiment near Gothenburg. Blitzfever again I am afraid. He also declares that NATO has now entered the war.

Unfortunately, now is the time that we discover a bug, that fails to lift the exclusion zones on Nato territory. No capturing Oslo or Copenhagen and no NATO reinforcements in Sweden. This changes the direction of the game as I can now concentrate on crushing the swedes without worrying about Nato. On the orther hand I must now capture all swedish Objectives in order to achieve an Overwhelming victory.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 07.
A backdoor invasion on Luleå traps most of 2 swedish BDEs. I achieve a fragile linkup in central Sweden and clears Gotland of enemy maneuver units.

Foggys turn 07 sees a massive withdrawal from the south and from the southern Gothenburg front.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
On turn 08 I manage to take the Boden Fortress with an airborne attack. I secure the rest of Gotland and is now only two hexes from Jønkøping. I now need to invade Umeå and secure my possesions.

Turn 08 sees a withdrawal of swedish forces towards the woods. Swedish forces in the south rush north. I think his intentions are to reinforce around Jønkøping and perhaps counterattack towards Gothenburg in the last turns. The battle in the south is over. The russians cannot reach any VP sites with the available forces and Malmø is secure.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Plan for turn 09-12

In central Sweden I need to take Jønkøping and defend Gothenburg, Stockholm, the military airfields and Norrkøping. In the north I need to secure the Boden Fortress and Umeå. Umeå needs to be invaded with an air borne invasion. The heavy reinforcements need to survive one turn at sea due to lack of anchorages in the vicinity.

On turn 09 my main achievement is to gain the hexes around Jønkøping and break through to the coastal Highwa at the Boden Fortress.

Foggys turn 09 sees him come screaming back out of the woods in southern Sweden. Counterattacks across central Sweden makes me worry about my supply lines. The first signs of guerillas in Finland starts to appear.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
On turn 10 I clear Umeå with an airborne encirclement, but the turn ends before I manage to enter the city. MRDs from Luleå secures the coastal highway between Luleå and Umeå. A single homeguard company tries to delay the operation, but evaporates to an airborne assault. In the center I secure three hexes on Jonkoping but my probing attack is repulsed. I dig in and wait for reinforcements while trying to secure the eastern approaches for a complete encirclement.

Turn 10 sees Foggy counter attacking and managing to encircle my southernmost tank regiment at Jonkoping. Luckily for me his attempt at killing off this unit results in heavy losses for him.

On turn 11 I manages to take Jønkøping and enter Umeå. I now have all the swedish and finnish objectives secured. North of Stockholm the last few forces are being slowly demolished.

On turn 12 I dig in an enjoy the feeling of kicking Foggys remaining forces around for a bit. The game ends in an ovewhelming victory.

Conclusion. This Game hinged on two factors
1. The early surrender of Finland.
2. The bug preventing NATO intervention.

Everytime that Foggy met my forces on near equal terms, I got kicked around. Towards the end of the game I enjoyed such an overwhelming numerical edge that he did not stand a chance. In our first game I managed a draw but lost 70% of my main Battle tanks. In this game I lost less than 40%. I still think that the ability of the russians to take out Finland on turn one is detrimental to play balance, but I look forward to see what a NATO Intervention can do to reestablish play balance.