AAR: Night Raiders

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A new video for Night Raiders (DPRK) [MP] has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

You can watch Night Raiders (DPRK) [MP]

[video=youtube;vL35cU01LOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL35cU01LOU[/video]

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

Harpoon HUE users can get the
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ

CapitanPiluso

Reaction score
Country
ll
Good scen,good battle and right tactic.
But you should change the scen name from "Night Raiders" to "Suicidal Raiders", I don´t see a single chance of winning from the DPRK side. :smoke:

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think you are right. Against the AI (which cannot make intuitive and cognitive leaps), then the scenario might possibly be won. However, Jeronimo is a first-class opponent. It is a rare day to surprise him and catch him unawares. He knows all of my tricks.

Unfortunately, when you receive orders from "The Great Successor", you simply must play the hand you are dealt and try to carry them out.

Last edited:

Herman Hum

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Now I remember how you also kicked my butt in this same scenario years earlier! :D

Mario (a.k.a. CaptPiluso) was hoping to extend his winning streak from two to three games. We chose to play a new scenario, Night Raiders, made with the community's favourite database, the PlayersDB. This scenario has not yet been publicly released and is only available from Wolff's ANW Server.

Sea of Dragons Battleset - Korean Standoff

A period of rising tension, sparked by the U.S. announcement for withdrawal of the 2nd Division, has characterized relations between North and South Korea. Border incursions by North Korean special forces have increased and several acts of terrorism, carried out in strategic cities (e.g. the destruction of Pusan's main railway signaling centre), have been identified as occurring under North Korean instructions. The rhetoric issuing from both governments has become increasingly bellicose. In order to show commitment, the U.S. has moved the 7th Fleet to the East China Sea and has sent across both ground reinforcements and munitions. Although a number of U.N. resolutions have been passed, condemning the belligerent moves, only the U.K. and the Australians offer more than vocal support. A U.K. Marine Commando is flown to Twenty-Nine Palms and two frigates sent from the Gulf. Australia offers a battalion of troops, a DDG, and two frigates.

DPRK
ZZZZZZ 110000Z01May84 ZZZZZZ

1.0 SitRep:

South Korean forces are desperately trying to organize. Striking them while they are in port and vulnerable will greatly help our cause.

2.0 Intelligence:

Your forces are in the Yosu roads. The enemy has increased his readiness, but sources indicate that he is not on a war footing. Your raid will be combined with a Special Forces ground action.

3.0 Orders:

Enter the harbour of Yosu using darkness and false recognition signals to aid your passage. Once inside, cause maximum damage to the moored shipping. The safety of your command is not at issue. Strike hard to destroy the Imperialists!

a. Enter the port roads, avoiding detection
b. Once in the port, attack and destroy enemy units
c. Concentrate on the merchant ships
d. Survival of your command is not to be your primary concern​

My little force of nine gunboats was ordered to sneak into the harbour at Yosu and wreak havoc, destruction, and confusion. I did not like my odds of success, but I would certainly try. I decided to focus on the south entrance and made my approach as nonchalantly as possible by maintaining a steady 15knot speed to match the local traffic. I led the way with my Huchuan PT boats since their guns had the shortest ranges.

One PT boat came right across a PC Seahawk. The ROC reacted first and started slamming shells into the PT boat, but my men had been trained to lightning quick responses over the months. Even though the first barrage knocked out one torpedo tube and gun mount (50% of the boat!), the lone mount returned fire and smashed the Seahawk. With the element of surprise lost, the gunboat went active with her radar and increased speed to maximum possible. Amazingly, she was still able to make 24knots.

Here radar picture was quickly relayed throughout the little flotilla so that every captain knew the layout of the ships moored in the harbour. In my eyes, that boat was already dead so I would use her to the best advantage before the Grim Reaper arrived to claim her.

Out of nowhere, a salvo of missiles appeared. Apparently, her radar was drawing fire. One Exocet slammed into an undamaged PT boat that had been following the first one thereby destroying it. The second missile from the Imperialists smashed into a neutral civilian cargo ship! How convenient of the ROK bunglers to destroy neutral ships. The light of the fires from the burning freighter lit the passage spectacularly as the damaged Huchuan made her way past.

The damaged PT boat closed on the mass of freighters and opened fire on the nearest ship while the crew desperately set up to fire the surviving torpedo. The target turned out to be a Paek Ku missile boat which immediately opened fire and sinking the damaged torpedo boat with its main weapon unfired.

A Chaho-class gunboat was the next to cross the strait just as another Paek Ku boat came racing out. Several rounds of 37mm fire left it ablaze with no return fire or damage. A second Huchuan had worked herself into the crowded harbour and started hammering rounds into the nearest freighter as fast as her crew could load them.

Another enemy guard ship (SeaHawk-class, I think) came racing out of the darkness to engage my approaching Chaho. To my surprise, he began to engage his own burning ship instead of me! Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, the Chaho delivered a devastating storm of gunfire onto the surprised Seahawk and killed her.

The Chaho then worked her way into the harbour and joined the Huchuan in setting ships ablaze. To add to the confusion, she fired her rockets into the piers to create mayhem and chaos ashore.

The attack was a huge surprise, but the enemy was recovering quickly. Several fast-moving targets were detected. The Huchuan was sitting between two freighters and hammering them with fore and aft turrets. However, these were big ships and easily able to take her rounds. While reloading for a third barrage, shells rained down upon her from the north and set her ablaze from stem to stern. The Chaho was pounding another freighter when she met the same fate. I was running out of time (and ships) to complete the mission.