AAR LZ EASTWOOD (AATF Demo)

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi guys,

since I got my laptop back from maintenance, I can finally play AATF :D
Eagerly awaiting my copy of AATF I decided to try out the demo...

My objective is to secure LZ EASTWOOD, a small airfield somewhere in a country called Cortina (I think).

With the help of Pat's great step by step guide from the Wargamer website, I loaded my troops on the blackhawks and plotted paths for the first trip to OBJ EASTWOOD.

I sent my apaches on a quick run over the objective to find out the enemy's setup and clear the LZ of any hostile forces. The Apaches managed to take out 2 enemy vehicles (Technicals) on the airfield and confirm the enemy sittemp.

I immediately order my artillery to lay down suppressing fire on the enemy position that's nearest to my flight route. The Apache help suppressing the enemy, too, while the Blackhawks come in and drop the troops in the LZ. With heavy suppressing fires, the enemy has no chance to open fire on the incoming Blackhawks and all birds touch down safely. With the first trip I dropped off 2 infantry platoons, the HQ and the mortar platoon.

I set up Assault missions for the first two infantry platoons. As they start to move, the third platoon is already choppered in and is ordered immediately to assault the third enemy defensive position.

As the three platoons close in on their objectives, my helos spot an enemy group moving toward the airfield from the north. With all my infantry committed, I decide to use artillery and my Apaches to hold the enemy off until at least one of my infantry platoons has managed to secure it's objective.

With a little luck, my arty strikes hit the enemy in full force as he closes in on the airfield. At the same time, my Apaches lay down suppressing fires on the advancing enemy. During the firefight, an approaching enemy vehicle manages to shoot down one of my Apaches.

Meanwhile, my infantry manages to take out the enemy's positions with only minimal casualties. (I lost only one infantry fire team during all three assaults)

Once they have secured their objectives, I turn them around and quickly the northern enemy group is taken care of. As there are no more enemy units remaining in LZ EASTWOOD, the mission is declared a succes after a game time of 35 minutes.

Overall I lost one Apache and one infantry fire team... (the lost Apache really bugs me :mad: )

I enjoyed this scenario very much, especially the fact that the assault missions went so well without having to micromanage everything. The different interface took some getting used to, but eventually I really liked it.

Thanks to Pat for a great game, I can't wait until my copy arrives!
Take care
Arno

z1812

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Arno,

Nice AAR. I will be interested to see what you think of JRTC 2. My first reaction to JRTC 2 was :surprise:

Regards John

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks John!

I tried JRTC 2 yesterday for the first time..........:paperbag:
I got my troops safely to the LZs (after securing them with my apaches) but arty strikes cost me dearly. I set one of my platoons down too far from the treeline and they got beat up pretty bad before finding cover. As I was preparing the second lift, I decided to have lunch and saved the game... didn't know you couldn't load savegames in the demo :freak:

Anyhoo, I'll try again today :D

Take care
Arno