AAR - Legion Of Doom - YASL 16

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States

Gunny Thompson and I were finally able to get together to play a couple games. Scheduling conflicts have prevented us from meeting. Specifically, my unique talents and skill at making license plates were requested by the Nevada Board of Corrections, for an extended term of service.

I told him that I was interested in ‘Legion Of Doom’, from the new YASL/ LFT pack. Based on the name, I was picturing a horde of heavily armored Warhammer 3K troopers, or Arnold Schwartzenegger, wearing only a loincloth, his sinewy body glistening with oil, sweat, and the blood of his enemies…

Sorry. I had to take a break there. I was getting all moist.

In actuality, the fearsome Legion is bicycle troops.

Without their bikes. Probably got stolen by those damn kids.

A platoon of cavalry comes in later from the other side of town, whooping and hollering and firing their pistols into the air like cowboys in a bad Western.

Which is all of them.

My troops are Croatians, who have thrown their lot in with Hitler, in the hopes of being given control of the part of Bosnia that has all of the hot supermodels.

So the horny Croatian bicycle troops, without bicycles, sneak thru the woods and gully on the edge of town. They pop up in the Advance Phase. Gunny pretty much holds his fire. R1 DFF, I roll a 3 – that Gypsy spell was worth every penny – and a 447 with the LMG breaks and ELRs.

Gunny decides to pull out his HIP 7-0, MMG and 447 and blast at my Kill Stack, with contains an 8-1, 3 447s, and 2 LMGs. He rolls a 12.

DFF, I roll low again and break a 328.

In Rally Phase, Gunny’s troops decide to crush the malfunctioned MMG to teach it a lesson. He does rally the LMG conscript with the 7-0, mostly because they wanted to get in on the smashing fun.

German Prep, another low roll, this time against the 7-0 stack. The 7-0 breaks and ELRs. The MMG-less 447 breaks and ELRs. The LMG/ 426 breaks and disrupts.
A disgusted Gunny concedes. Both of his MGs are out of action, as is one of his two leaders, and the remainder of his troops only have a range of 2 hexes.

Despite this result, my gut feeling is that this is pro-Russian. Reasons:

Time. VC are to basically wipe out the Russians. Only one squad needs to survive the game. There are only 5 and a half turns, and the horsies don’t come in until turn 3.

TEM. The quaint hovels in the Russian village are all stone buildings. Without really good dice, the Croatians can’t touch them. The best kill stack the Croatians can put together would be a 10+2 vs. concealed units.

Commissar. Plus an NKVD 628 and two 328s. Even if they break, there is a good chance that they will bounce right back, like Weebles.

HIP. The Russians can HIP one squad-equivalent. This can be nasty against either the bicycle troops or the posse, since everyone will have to cross open ground at some point. Interesting idea – the Russians have two 328s in their OB, so they could HIP them instead of a squad. And if you give them the MGs, and they lay down firelanes…
Big flaw in this scenario – if the Russian HIP squad just stays HIP all game, it will win the game. There isn’t enough time or Croatians to do a bug hunt. Suggest placing the HIP guy on board at the beginning of turn 6 if not already revealed.

Interrogation rules are in effect, but you can’t count on the HIPsters being revealed that way. If you see a bunch of guys with beards and ponytails, drinking Double Mocha Lattes and discussing NPR, then you have found the HIPsters.

Make Fort Apache. It doesn’t matter where in the village the Russians survive, just as long as somebody does. I would pile most of the troops into one block. The U4 block would be a good one. You can make a case for the N6 block, since it would take the bicycle troops half the game to get there.

This plays quickly.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The buildings on this board are wooden. There was a mistake at the printer's. Please see X's errata on the LFT page. Some packs came out looking like proper wooden buildings, others did not. Sorry for the confusion.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 17480

Gunny Thompson and I were finally able to get together to play a couple games. Scheduling conflicts have prevented us from meeting. Specifically, my unique talents and skill at making license plates were requested by the Nevada Board of Corrections, for an extended term of service.

I told him that I was interested in ‘Legion Of Doom’, from the new YASL/ LFT pack. Based on the name, I was picturing a horde of heavily armored Warhammer 3K troopers, or Arnold Schwartzenegger, wearing only a loincloth, his sinewy body glistening with oil, sweat, and the blood of his enemies…

Sorry. I had to take a break there. I was getting all moist.

In actuality, the fearsome Legion is bicycle troops.
View attachment 17481

Without their bikes. Probably got stolen by those damn kids.

A platoon of cavalry comes in later from the other side of town, whooping and hollering and firing their pistols into the air like cowboys in a bad Western.

Which is all of them.

My troops are Croatians, who have thrown their lot in with Hitler, in the hopes of being given control of the part of Bosnia that has all of the hot supermodels.

So the horny Croatian bicycle troops, without bicycles, sneak thru the woods and gully on the edge of town. They pop up in the Advance Phase. Gunny pretty much holds his fire. R1 DFF, I roll a 3 – that Gypsy spell was worth every penny – and a 447 with the LMG breaks and ELRs.

Gunny decides to pull out his HIP 7-0, MMG and 447 and blast at my Kill Stack, with contains an 8-1, 3 447s, and 2 LMGs. He rolls a 12.

DFF, I roll low again and break a 328.

In Rally Phase, Gunny’s troops decide to crush the malfunctioned MMG to teach it a lesson. He does rally the LMG conscript with the 7-0, mostly because they wanted to get in on the smashing fun.

German Prep, another low roll, this time against the 7-0 stack. The 7-0 breaks and ELRs. The MMG-less 447 breaks and ELRs. The LMG/ 426 breaks and disrupts.
A disgusted Gunny concedes. Both of his MGs are out of action, as is one of his two leaders, and the remainder of his troops only have a range of 2 hexes.

Despite this result, my gut feeling is that this is pro-Russian. Reasons:

Time. VC are to basically wipe out the Russians. Only one squad needs to survive the game. There are only 5 and a half turns, and the horsies don’t come in until turn 3.

TEM. The quaint hovels in the Russian village are all stone buildings. Without really good dice, the Croatians can’t touch them. The best kill stack the Croatians can put together would be a 10+2 vs. concealed units.

Commissar. Plus an NKVD 628 and two 328s. Even if they break, there is a good chance that they will bounce right back, like Weebles.

HIP. The Russians can HIP one squad-equivalent. This can be nasty against either the bicycle troops or the posse, since everyone will have to cross open ground at some point. Interesting idea – the Russians have two 328s in their OB, so they could HIP them instead of a squad. And if you give them the MGs, and they lay down firelanes…
Big flaw in this scenario – if the Russian HIP squad just stays HIP all game, it will win the game. There isn’t enough time or Croatians to do a bug hunt. Suggest placing the HIP guy on board at the beginning of turn 6 if not already revealed.

Interrogation rules are in effect, but you can’t count on the HIPsters being revealed that way. If you see a bunch of guys with beards and ponytails, drinking Double Mocha Lattes and discussing NPR, then you have found the HIPsters.

Make Fort Apache. It doesn’t matter where in the village the Russians survive, just as long as somebody does. I would pile most of the troops into one block. The U4 block would be a good one. You can make a case for the N6 block, since it would take the bicycle troops half the game to get there.

This plays quickly.

View attachment 17482
Actiondebbie has been thinking about getting a recliner. I showed her the sit n sip. She likes it.😉