AAR - J185 - Haunted Castle

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Played this as the Russians vs. Walt Harrar. Few Russians in the victory buildings, most of them conscripts, and the Russian reinforcements can get interdicted trying to reach the castle. I screwed up my setup in that I put a LMG/ 447 behind the wall, rather than on level 2.

Walt had the gun and a MMG positioned to shoot at my reinforcements. Nobody hit. His reinforcements come on across open ground. My 447 fires the LMG - 10, cowers. My prep fire, 12, cowers and breaks the MG. Walt's DFF - the 447 goes berserk! So at the start of his turn 2, he has an unstoppable nutcase right in his way! Things go from bad to worse. Sniper kills the 8-1, his MMG squad fails the LLTC. The artillery piece breaks. The berserker kills a squad and breaks another squad during the movement phase.

My turn 3, the berserker charges into an orchard hex. Walt checks the breeze and, with precision firing, unleashes a 36 -1. 4 MC! Berserker passes!!! In AFF, the berserker breaks 2 squads. In CC, he finally succumbs, but not before taking another squad with him. Walt loses a 248 when he is ambushed by a HIP 426.

The rest of the game was more of the same. My dice were hot, and I kept breaking enough of his troops that he couldn't get good firegroups going. At the end, I still had two of the three buildings.

I rolled a lot of K/1s and K/2s against him. Hard to fight against 3s and 4s.

This plays very quick. It took us 2-1/2 hours.