AAR - Into Vienna Woods - AP52

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Uber is considering expanding UberEats to the marijuana delivery business. This may be an opportunity for you to cash in and make $$$ off of the pleasantly toasted.

Or maybe not. You might end up delivering to Tommy Chong – “Aw, dude, I swear my money was right here a minute ago…”

On the other hand, anyone calling for a delivery either is so hazy and crazy that they can’t drive, or they lost their driver’s license after a minor fender-bender.

So they might be so grateful that they would be terrific tippers…

“When will you realize

Vienna waits for you…”

Billy Joel

Walt likes to play scenarios that are close to the play date. I suggested Into Vienna Woods. He gave me a choice of sides – I picked the Russians. He then played it against Bob before our playing, taking the Russians.

I showed up with a can of Vienna sausages. Walt was not amused.

Situation – a hill outside of Vienna is being bitterly contested, as whoever controls it controls the supply of Viennese pastries, which are so very important to maintain the morale of the troops.

The board isn’t very woods-like. The hill is mostly open, with scattered pine forest, in-season orchards, and soon-to-be scattered Russians. The top of the hill is all trenches. But the Russians are 527s, so while they can wave at the Germans off in the distance, they can’t hurt them. I believe they are from the 53rd Cross-Eyed Infantry Regiment.

Alpine hill rules are in effect, which allows both players to yodel prior to any fire attack or any charge across open ground. Dressing like Heidi is optional. Look it up. The rule is in the back somewhere.

Alpine hills also means that if on the same level hill, you can only see other same level hexes if you are adjacent. But you may be able to hear other units that are farther away.

Oh, and there’s Germans. 11 nasty black-counter SS, with a 10-2 and a buncha MGs.

Germans must control all the trenches at game end. Which would be easy, but 10 458s and two AGs come in to help their comrades. If any of them are still alive...

I only set up two squads with LMGs in the trenches on the top of the hill. The remainder, and two dummy stacks, were on the forward slope, to try to hold up the Germans long enough for the reinforcements to enter the fray on R3.

The SS came straight up the middle, with suicidal 348s charging boldly forward across open ground. They did draw some fire, and I broke three of them. But, being SS, two of the three rallied under DM in R1.

While my heroic, but myopic troops did their best, there were SS in a couple of the trench hexes by the end of G2, and most of them were in trenches by the end of G3. The SS had lost two HSs. The Blind Boys of Irkutsk were no longer a threat, with just an 8-0 and 2-1/2 broken squads left.

Oops. Make that 2 broken squads. A sniper generated when the reinforcements came in killed the 8-0. Can the 226 HS, with a broken side morale of 4, pass the LLMC??? After all, this is ASL, where amazing dice rolls and incredible coincidences occur with regularity.

No. No, they can’t.

The poor reinforcements, under the eyes and guns of the jeering SS on the hilltop, mostly slunk one hex onto the board into the few forest hexes there. A bold armored assault with an SU-85 and three 8 morale squads ended badly, with two of them broken and the third pinned. The SU stopped and set the parking brake, since he was going to be the only cover they would have. For the rest of the game...

A lone squad with an 8-0 made a dash across the southern end of the board. After heroically shooting a broken HS in the back, they charged up the hill and made it into CC with a HS in a trench hex. They ended up in Melee, which at least kept them from being murdered by the adjacent 10-2 the next turn.

For the last turns, my Russians were pretty much stuck along the board edge, unable to advance except into open ground, and with nowhere to rout to that was out of sight.

OUTTA SIGHT!!!!!!!

Occasional hits from the AGs caused some damage, as did a couple big fire group shots I managed to put together. The SS continued to shoot down, breaking an occasional squad, or reDMing broken ones. A 348 went Fanatic, because nothing accessorizes better with a black counter than another black counter. Then they broke anyway. And rolled snakes again in a rally attempt, and would have become doubly Fanatic, if such a thing was allowed. Which it isn’t. Then they broke again on a NMC, and were out of the game.

The SS 10-2 stayed in a back trench rallying people, which I thought was a waste of his murderous talents. On the other hand, he did rally some troops under DM who would not have otherwise come back. On the other other hand, a squad and HS he was with both gacked their rally rolls on the last German rally phase. He finally advanced to the front for the last half turn, commanding an awesome force of two HSs.

The AGs did well. One fire phase, the SU-76M got 4 shots off, and the following turn, the SU-85 got 4.

The Russian 9-1 went Berserk at the bottom of turn 5, encouraging the two squads with him to rise up and take the bayonet to the Evil Nazi Oppressers. So they were going to have to charge on the last Russian turn, and even though they were still at the board edge, there were two trench hexes they could make it into for a potential victory.

R6, end of game. SS are down to about 6 GO squad equivalents – some are HSs.

Being an exceptional tricky Soviet, I wanted to Smoke the 10-2 with the SU-85. But the supply units were too busy stealing watches and brandy in Vienna to have bothered to bring up any smoke shells. So I had to just blast at the 10-2 instead.

Another Rate run, and when it was over, the 10-2 was wounded, and the two HSs he was with were broken. The other trench hex on that side of the world was still in melee, with two 348s tied up with my now wounded 8-0 and a 458. So, even without the Berserk charge, I was going to be able to advance a couple squads into trench hexes, without any chance of them being shot at along the way. If I won the melee, and if the Berserkers survived murderous fire, there was the possibility of taking back four trench hexes. I only needed one for the win. Another miracle victory for the Soviets!!! God must be on our side!!!

I expected to lose after the SS took the hill before my reinforcements could get there. But I just kept plinking away. I never killed a squad. I think the SS lost 5 squads, a HS at a time. A couple in CC, a broken one nailed by a sniper, and the rest were K results or shooting and reducing broken squads before they could come back.

I thought that the 10-2 would have been better used directing fire from the top of the hill, but you can make a case for him staying back and being Rally Central.

Both sides have SAN 5. This could have been traumatic, but most 5s did not result in active snipers. I lost an 8-0 and 2 HSs. Walt lost a HS and the 9-1 was wounded.

In Walt’s game against Bob, the SS swept the 527s from the trenches with 10-2 fire. When the Russian reinforcements came in, Walt tried an end sweep, but SS MMGs put a stop to that.

Fun scenario, and quick – it took about 3 hours. Not including the time I spent to get into my Heidi outfit.

You’re welcome!!!

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My EYES! Have to go drink heavily to try to kill off those brain cells now.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did the berserkers get into a trench? My understanding is they cannot control because they are not Good Order so that hex is still under German control.

Isn't that one of Biden's department heads?

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Did the berserkers get into a trench? My understanding is they cannot control because they are not Good Order so that hex is still under German control.

Isn't that one of Biden's department heads?
Oh, if only Biden's appointees were so hot-looking...

Walt called it before the Berserker's Mad Charge. If they ended up in Melee, it would still be under German control. If they killed everyone in the hex, they would no longer be Berserk, and it would be under Russian control, assuming that they survived CC.

They could not make it under the Trench, but by B27.13, it doesn't seem to matter for control.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Walt called it before the Berserker's Mad Charge. If they ended up in Melee, it would still be under German control. If they killed everyone in the hex, they would no longer be Berserk, and it would be under Russian control, assuming that they survived CC.

They could not make it under the Trench, but by B27.13, it doesn't seem to matter for control.
Yes, but if the Germans voluntarily broke themselves and routed then the berserkers would still not be in good order. I learned this lesson playing Frivilligkompani Benckert AP147. A similar VC.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Another miracle victory for the Soviets!!! God must be on our side!!!
Not long after your miraculous victory, you find yourself nevertheless beaten up and bound to a chair in some dimly lit, cold, and bare cellar with a mountain of a man bending down to you gnashing that question through his teeth at you once more:

"Now, comrade Isjus... Try again to explain to me how you dare bring God and the enlightened Soviet ideology together."

von Marwitz