AAR - Gut Check - ESG 10

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I took a break from writing my new book on Syrian cuisine, 'Spices And Isis'. I played Gut Check with Jim Thompson.

This is very small and short. Uses half of a Deluxe board. The Italians have 4 crews, with two MMGs and 2 light mortars. They are defending a hilltop against Canadian infantry, half of whom are elite. I was the Italians.

No subtlety to the Italian setup. There are four units, and four Level 2 hill hexes. The Canadians have 4 hexes that they may enter on.

Two 457s and a 8-0 entered concealed on the woods hex. I made him pay with a mortar hit, which reduced both of his squads and broke and wounded the 8-0.

I broke a MMG on its first shot.

I1, I repair the MMG. My heroic defenders do nothing. One crew breaks in defensive fire.

C2, one crew breaks in prep fire. His troops advance adjacent.

I2, my broken crews don't rally, not even the one without DM. Another crew can't find the MMG - again - and gets shot up. My two reinforcing squads come in and advance to the top of the hill.

C3, my squad can't find the MMG. Both squads and the 7-0 get shot up, but I break his 9-1 and a squad.

I3, my 7-0 decides to take the easy way out and rolls a 12 on his rally attempt. His men, overcome with grief, both casualty reduce. The two broken crews don't care, and rally. One crew chases after Jim's broken 9-1 to keep him DMed. Two more assault the hill. I get one crew into CC with the 648. Yeah, I know, it's an Urkel versus Andre The Giant fight. But being Deluxe, I can declare HtH, and if I can kill him or tie him up in Melee, the Canadians will be unable to get to one hill hex. But, it's too much to hope for.

C4, my remaining two crews get shot up in Prep, and the Canadians can just advance onto the other two hill hexes they need for the win. I do my Gut Check, and find out that my guts are all over the ground.

Probably pro-Canadian - it is on ROAR - but it was fun. I did have a chance, and better rolls would have helped me. This is short - only took us about 45 minutes to play.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Man that is one Angry chick!

Better just use a pistol on them.