AAR - Gotta Get Out - HF7

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I just started a new job, but I told my boss I needed to take two days off to go to WO. “If I don’t go, the Fascists win!!!”

Advice for those job hunting – Include a writing sample. Your 368 page book based on ‘Fifty Shades of Gray’ will get their attention. Also, delete all resume references to working for a Ukrainian oil company.

My final WO game was Gotta Get Out, with Paul Anderson. Paul lives in both Connecticut and Vermont, changing locations each time the law closes in. He wanted the Forces of Evil. These facts should tell you all you need to know about Paul.

This is one of the Hatten scenarios. Americans need to keep the Germans from having GO units in a bunch of buildings (which is easier on me than having to Control them), but there are only 5 turns. LV first two turns. In one of the few things that are guaranteed in ASL, the Americans can place two Dispersed Smoke FFEs at the start, with accuracy automatic.

I Smoked building AA13 and the units behind the wall in the NW corner. My plan was to take AA13 with Riders on Shermans, and use the faster HTs to take a NW position. To my delight, one of the victory buildings in the NW corner was unoccupied. My plan changed to taking it on turn 1 with two squads and an 8-1.

The Shermans unload without incident. I thought I might draw PF fire from a nearby foxhole, but they were quiet. The first HT unloaded behind the victory building. I wanted to move the empty HT forward one more hex. A 12 on the start roll ruined that plan.

The second HT made its approach, and a PSK that let the first HT by opened up. Needed a 4 TH, got it, Burning Wreck with squad and 8-1 lost.

My infantry approach in the SW corner went okay. One HS scout broke, but the other went Berserk and jumped in with his squad. We end up in Melee. My CC on the ground floor of AA13 goes well as I roll snakes. He loses a squad and I create a 7-0.

I push forward on turn 2, trying to take advantage of the LV while it lasts. I unload the .50 cal off the immobilized HT. Another couple CCs, some of which I win, one of which I trade a HS for a 447.

Mid-game, I continue to clear out the center part of town. My squad and .50 cal in the NW corner don’t really have the firepower to do much, but their position seems secure. The PzKw IVs come in and park adjacent to these guys. Suddenly, they feel less secure.

My turn, I drive a Sherman behind a hedge and win the gun duel with one panzer, flaming it. I drive two others into positions where they can engage the remaining panzer. The Mk. IV Shocks one Sherman, gets rate, and bounces another shot off of it. My 666 squad declines the opportunity to CC the panzer. Some guys just don't want medals.

Next turn, the Mark IV fires again at the Shocked Sherman, and bounces another shot. It never gets another chance.

The Shocked Sherman quietly passes on the next turn.

Paul’s 75L AT, which had remained HIP thus far in the NW corner, pops out, turns 180 degrees, and starts to engage my infantry. I decide to overrun it in my turn. It has to turn to engage my Sherman, and misses. But it nails me on an Intensive Fire Overrun Prevention shot. I HATE it when these obscure, rarely used rule sections don’t work out in my favor.

One plus, so to speak, is that my poor Sherman got flamed in the hex, so the AT gun is now well and truly Smoked.

A 9-1 with two HSs and a MMG have been giving me fits all game in S17. The only saving grace had been that a broken PSK HS in the hex was never able to rally while under DM. The 9-1 had Battle Hardened to a 9-2, and was really tearing up my infantry, even though they were firing on the 6 column.

Going into the last American turn, Paul still controls 3 victory buildings. Even though I have been doing pretty well all game, I am going to need all the luck and sleaze I can muster up to pull off a win.

Prep, my .50 cal rolls a 4 and gets a NMC on the 9-2 and friends in S17. The 9-2 suffers a fatal wound when a bottle of Calvados falls off the shelf onto his head. The remaining troops crumble, either from the NMC, the LLMC, or from drinking Calvados.

The second needed building goes down when a Sherman fires its CMG and AAMG on a 8+3, rolls a 5, and the squad breaks.

My 7-0 and a HS charge the Smoked AT gun, just because it pissed me off.

The last victory building (V12) is rushed by a Green Horde. Although the defending squad shoots well, I still can advance in with two HSs.

CC, my 7-0 and friends take out the AT gun. My two HSs in V12 forget to throw their grenades in CC, but so does the defending 447. Game ends as an American victory, since his squad is in Melee and is not Good Order. Paul goes off to weep bitter tears and drink several bottles of Molson XXX.

Fun, tight game. CC was my friend. I think I had around 8 CCs during the game. Two I traded 346s for 447s. All the others I won, except for the one with the last victory building, which I didn’t need to win – just survive.

This was my favorite of the Hatten scenarios I have played. But the Americans need to be very aggressive, or time will run out.

Any game that comes down to the last CC roll is a winner in my book!

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish I was in the job market because I would really like to try out some of your interview advice ...

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure, but I think that D6.631 SW Removal is what occurred when the .50 cal was removed - in this case it would come out with the crew and be dismantled.

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure, but I think that D6.631 SW Removal is what occurred when the .50 cal was removed - in this case it would come out with the crew and be dismantled.
Correct. This was The Halftrack That Was Ordered With All The Options, Including Cruise Control And Corinthian Leather Seats. The dealer threw in the additional cup holders for free. There was also a MMG that could have come off dm, and a bazooka.

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
NRBH, but I recall there is a special HiF rule preventing removal of MGs. Or does it apply only to rhe VG?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
NRBH, but I recall there is a special HiF rule preventing removal of MGs.
Per HF7, which applies to both CG & non-CG. Did not notice that in the scenario I played, but in the scenario I played there weren't great MGs to pull out.

JR