AAR GIVE THEM SOME STEEL

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AAR Give them some Steel

Played this one from the Schwerpunkt boys—I believe it is #46—and enjoyed it.

You wouldn’t think so given ELR 5, high firepower troops vs. Italians with ELR 1, but it was so.

I had the Rangers (RANGERS LEAD THE WAY—and another brain cell dies….) and tried establishing a base of fire on top of the board 25 hill with some 10 squads while the remain 6 squads entered on the east edge of 25 to get the board 15 objectives.

Tony Sella, my opponent, had some rotten luck in the first turn. His 81 MTR, arguably his killing weapons, MALFd on its first shot. He then repaired it game turn 2, to then break it AGAIN…..

But, he paid back with that with a SNAKES on a 2 table shot against my 10-2 kill stack on turn 1. HEIGHT plus the LV hindrance saved him and he shook off the 1MCs along with the MG team he had with him. And I was thinking that I was too cool, having gotten him ? by having someone throw INF smoke and then assaulting him ? into that location…c’est la guerre…

The Italians, IMHO, to play this scenario MUST be willing to take a beating and MUST be willing to nickel and dime the US player. And that’s what Tony did. When we got to the LAST player turn, he was left with 1GO squad, with an 8-0smc. EVERYONE else was broken, or dead, or POWd. He also had me at 11 CVPs. If the US player gets taken for too many CVP loses, well, the Italians win.

I had NO CHOICE but for CC vs. this last unit.

And you can see where it’s going….
The Italians won with a CC victory vs. the US

A good scenario. If I could redo it, I would NOT take WP as a fire mission, but would keep to the HE shots—even in trenches, a 20 table shot is ugly needing a 7 or less for a MC or better.
IN FACT, that leads to a lesson learned from this scenario. If you enter a WP hex that comes from a FFE, the MOVING player is required to take a MC (b/c the WP is coming down continously, or so goes the rationale.) ANYWAYS, that same last Italian squad that was holding out at the end, weathered the MCs I gave him, and on turn 5 when I first tried entering the bldg he was holding out in, my 9-1 passed, then the 667 with him FAILED….YOIKS…..they survived the withdrawal attempt but the 9-1 died next player turn.

ALSO, got some good natured teasing in vs. Tony. (Remember, he’s Italian)
He created A leader (7-0)in a rally attempt.
7-0 surrenders a player turn later.
Scene in a POW camp. (7-0s name is GIOVANNI)|

Please use a cheesy Italian/chef boyardee accent when reading this

Hey, Giovanni, I hear you became a leader on a snakes in rally?
Si, that is true.
STUPIDO, looka, they a feed us spam, they give us work to do and baths once a week.