AAR - For Whom The Bells Toll - SP103

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I have been busy searching for a new career, but I took some time off to play a game with Walt. I have picked up a few job hunting tips that I thought I would share to keep you from making the same mistakes as me:

Don’t wear your foil helmet to your interview, even though it keeps the aliens from reading your mind.

Don’t give as a reference ‘my boarding school headmistress, Fraulein Helga Sternholtz.’

Under ‘Achievement You Are Most Proud Of’, don’t write ‘Instituted Casual Tuesday Thru Friday’.

Don’t refuse to answer any questions, while citing ‘Executive Privilege’.

Don’t give your name as ‘The Artist Formerly Known As Vince’.

This was the third Normandy scenario I’ve played recently. I had the Germans. Interesting situation – Germans are defending the town with 3-1/2 squads and two MGs. Paratroopers come on, but have lots of ugly open ground to cross. Six Shermans and six 667 squads come in as reinforcements on turn 3. Then SS with SP guns come thundering on. Germans must have troops in two multihex buildings at game end.

The clamor of the bells in the steeple alerted us that an attack was about to begin!

Walt usually plays a very conservative game. This time, he decided that time was against him, so he brought on much of his infantry in giant stacks to use the leader movement bonus. But even though I didn’t have much that could shoot, -2 shots and good rolls are trouble. A MC on his 9-2 stack left the 9-2 pinned. An 8-0 was broken and wounded, and another 3-1/2 squads broken.

Walt’s troubles continued the next two turns. A 467 rolled snakes on a 4 even shot, for a K/1. Walt rolled a 12 on the remaining HS’s MC. Another low roll by a 247 killed a charging paratrooper squad. After 3 turns, I was down a squad and a half, and had lost my LMG, but he wasn’t in the village yet. He kept yelling, “WHERE ARE MY FIGHTER BOMBERS??? WHERE IS MY ARTILLERY???”

The American reinforcements only have half their movement on turn 3. The SS, however, get full movement when they come in on turn 3. This allowed me to get a StuG and a Marder into good firing positions, and get some riders to the edge of town. An advancing fire shot by my StuG on a Motion Sherman was a ‘3’, followed by a ‘2’. One Sherman down!!!

A paratrooper squad with a MMG gets hit THREE TIMES by one Marder. First shot broke him, second shot reduced him, third shot eliminated him. Just a bloody machinegun and a little pile of smoking ash were left in the hex. “Marders, not martyrs!” became our motto.

G4, the SS and SP guns take up positions in town. I saw no great need to challenge the Shermans. Let them come to me!

A5, one of the two PSK squads I sent down board 17 is broken. A Sherman tries to move past the second PSK. I need a ‘5’ TH; I roll a ‘4’, and another Sherman is gone!

Ouch.

Walt moves another Sherman to the flank of a Marder. He went for ESB, even though he really didn’t need to. He rolled a 12 to immobilize himself, and promptly quit.

My dice were definitely hot this game. But the Americans are pressed for time, and need to be into the village before all the SS pour in.

Fairly even on ROAR.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for Walt.