llBelgium
After Action Report : 2 weeks in Normandy version 2.2.1

First turn:
I have divided the map into four sector: first sector utah beach

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
First sector: Utah beach, here you see the paratroops (506,507,508 division) who have landed around Ste Mère Eglise, there is also a lot of units on two hexes on the beach. During first round I try ov victory every where it works for a lot of units except at Merderet bridge and for the bunker on the left of the beach, at the end of the first round Ste mere eglise was on my hands, I also had taken control of some bridges I didn’t move my units more than 2 or three hexes also when they won an ov just for preserving a lot of rounds, I put the units who didn’t win ov on limited attacks for the tanks and single unit attack for infantry (usually this is how I proceed to take control of hexes) and I used the boats for supporting main assault. At the end of first turn all the units in the area of Utah beach were linked, I had gained control of ste marie du mont, st come du mont, Merderet river and even St Sauveur, I was really satisfied for the results of this sector.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
this is where I had more difficulties to destroy the defences of the Germans, during the first round none of my attacks were successful, little by little I manage to make the infantry unit around Colleville retreating but it wasn’t worth the price because during the first assault the 741 tank unit evaporated losing about ten tank, I managed to make the unit fortified in Vierville retreating some rounds later but at the end of first turn I was only one hex away from the beach well this is not quite good I was a little disappointed by these results on this sector

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
for me may be the sector where to progress is very easy because ov assaults work a lot of time especially with the strong armored brigade I managed to go deep quickly enough on this sector and at the end of the turn on the left I was at the door of Bayeux, Creully was mine.
After having destroyed the defences facing the Canadians, I used them to encircle Douvres and it worked well at the end of the turn douvres was in my hand and the units defending it were completely destroyed by the british. I was very happy for what happened in this area .
Forget to say that one armor brigade was sent to help linking at port en bessin

The planes

During all the scenario my strategy for the planes was the same: at the beginning of the turn I put all my planes on combat support and by the end of the turn before launching what I thought it would have been the last combat round I put all my planes on interdiction. I think this was a good idea but if you want this to be effective you must be a master in knowing how many combat rounds you gonna have. As I’m not really a master yet, this didn’t work so good in the game, but in general I maintain that it is a good idea.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
First thing I did in this sector was to regroup the british paratroopers by taking control of the road I have pointed on the map, the units on the beach were used to head for caen and particularly Benouville at the end of turn one Benouville was mine but the assault on Troarn was unfortunately unsuccessful so I think I was half satisfied at the end of the turn one for this sector. Pegasus bridge was secured but I didn’t manage to hold the bridge further south so I had only one bridge for sending units towards the east.

First turn: conclusions

1)get off the beach everywhere: ok except for some units around Omaha beach.
2)Link the beaches : problems with Omaha and utah beach.
3)Sending reinforcements for helping paras: ok
4)Take important bridges on major rivers: ok
5)Go deep in enemy lines: (written after the game) didn’t thought to send more units in the east of sword beach towards Pegasus bridge in order to take Caen from behind.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Turn 2 to 12

First sector, Sword beach, east of Pegasus bridge, the situation of british paratroops

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Britishs paratroops have been pushed back from Toarn during all the scenario I didn’t thought about sending them reinforcements to help them to escape to the germans, I thought that each groups had its task and that it was out of question to divide forces.
Obviously it was a mistake I should have sent at least one or two formations to help them and if it had succeeded may be I could have pushed further south threatening heart of Caen.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
This is a real disaster, they are encircled, exhausted and they have no chance to head for an harbour so they will probably be destroyed, I hope queen of England will forgive me lol.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Sector of Caen: you can see German counter attacks in grey and allied attacks in orange

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
British and Canadians formations have tried during the entirety of the scenario to take control of Caen, but this was a failure, I thought that I have so much forces that it would work but it didn’t, the reason of this failure is that the Germans have a lot of arty units
Some good armor units even equiped with panthers and infantry units. Frontal assault didn’t work so by the end of the game I tried to build a bridge on the Orne River to go south of Caen, this attempt have been pointed on the map with a yellow arrow, but it was too late and the result was also a failure loosing units for nothing, I nearly managed to take bourguebous bridge for while, that means if you see an opportunity of going deep into enemy lines don’t do as I did believe in what you think, take units as much as you have and send it in the rear of the enemy and it will probably work. I didn’t believe in my breakthrough so it failed because not enough forces.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I have been pushed back from Caen and I’m about to loose Pegasus Bridge, it is certain that the allies won’t take Caen before a while lol. The german counter attacks were quite strong of course but I think this situation is due to a bad play from me but I’m sure triaxe will give his opinion about this. However my losses penalty is equal to the losses of the Germans: 2. I think this situation is a real catastrophe for the allies.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
West of Caen: I had sent the british troops here hoping a breakthrough giving me the opportunity for attacking Caen: result failure again

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
As you can see british are completely stuck around Tilly sur seulles, and German units are far from being exhausted. Once again my strategy failed despite heavy attacks along the front line

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
You can see that I managed to take foret de Cerisy unfortunately for me this is the only objective I managed to take. Except this my situation is not good neither because I didn’t managed to cross the river and by this not threatening St-lo.