AAR - Feast Day - WO34

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I recently changed jobs, so I thought I would share a job-hunting tip with you. Suggest to personnel that the new hire should be the one that is victorious in a no-holds barred cage match.

I won the final when I walloped my opponent with a chair. She never knew what hit her.

Walt wanted to play something from the new WO Pack. I picked Feast Day, because I was hungry at the time.

I took the Germans.

Part of the attraction is that this uses the new 13a/b city board.

This is a scenario that you have to pick ahead of time to allow for the setup. The Germans get to place 18 wooden Barney Rubble counters on buildings, plus three more to block roads that are HIP. I think I changed my rubble placement four times. Although it may just be that I am indecisive. No, wait, I AM decisive. Well, maybe not. I’m not sure, but I may be indecisive. Can I get back to you??? I will let you know for sure tomorrow. Or possibly the day after.

VC are Building Control, with multi-story buildings worth 3, and others worth 1. The Canucks need 8 points, plus they need to control the church of Santa Maria di Costantinopoli, because they were all altar boys back in Winnipeg. There was a religious procession just before the battle.

Evil Nazis are defending a town in Italy with a bunch of 548s. Canucks come in with enough elite infantry to form several hockey teams and a 9-2. The following turn they get three Shermans, but they don’t enter where the infantry are. This is why Barney Rubble placement is so important. With good placement, you can force the Shermans to take a tour of the town in order to get anywhere useful, keeping them out of action for a couple turns. With them coming in on turn 2, and it being a 6 turn game, this could be significant.

Germans do have 1 hex range PFs, plus a DC to fight Shermans with.

The Germans are in two groups, with setup restrictions for each group. So I was defending the corner where the Canadians enter with only 3 squads and a bunch of dummies.

Walt tends to be conservative. I defended the church with dummies, while one squad in D19 defended the southern hill, and ones in D11 and D13 defended the northern hill. This is where I thought the main push would be, so the D13 squad used HIP. I was worried that the Canucks would CX to get onto the row C road, then advance into stone buildings.

Walt’s entry was a mix of being aggressive and conservative. On the south hill, a squad survived a 8-2 shot in C17, but the rest of the southern force didn’t move onto the hill. On the north hill, a HS CXed, but stopped in Vitamin B12. The next scout was a full squad, which moved into C14, where my HIP squad KIAed it with a 4. But, I cowered. When the next unit ran adjacent, I FPFed, which broke me and did nothing to him. The D11 8-0 and squad pinned a HS in the street. In the center, multiple squads and HSs moved up to or into the church, scaring the hell out of several altar boys.

G1, my defense is already a shambles. One squad broken, and my plan to run squads up the street and into the rubble at F15 and F16 won’t happen because of Canucks in F15 and D16. Instead, all of the real units in J18 run into the G17 building, with the squads advancing up to G17.1 and G18.1 to cover the open ground, and HSs on the ground floor. I decide I have to do something to slow him up in the center, so my only available unit, the 9-1 with a MMG HS, charges his CX HS in the church and eliminates it in CC. Blood everywhere. The priest was not pleased.

C2, the tanks enter on the NW edge. My rubble was placed to goober up any attempt to move straight down the A6/I11 road, or to move south after entering on the very northern edge. To make the northern edge look defended, I had a dummy stack in E2. A real squad was in C7 to keep the tanks from charging past.

But Walt decided to be aggressive/incredibly foolish, and parks one tank next to C7. I try for a PF, but fail. The second tank charges past. I try for another PF, get one, but miss. I took the backblast, and a 4 on the colored die means a NMC. I roll a 9. Both this tank and the 3rd tank move onto the northern hill, with one parking next to my 8-0 and squad.

Meanwhile, on the southern hill, the 9-2 stack shoots and misses, which was a theme for them the whole game. Everyone else cautiously moves forward. I thought my poor 9-1 and HS in the church would be rushed and CCed, but that was not the case. Since we occupied the back of the church, we took the opportunity to help ourselves to some of the sacramental wine.

G2, even though my 8-0 and squad are adjacent to a parked tank, I decide that it would be more prudent/ chickenshit to run away than to try to PF it and get murdered by the giant stacks of adjacent Canucks. Except the tank manages to get a hit, and breaks the squad.

The buzzed 9-1 and MMG squad drop back, but this is a sucky area to defend, as the Canucks can get adjacent using multiple stone buildings as cover. Not much happens in the G17 building, except that the 9-2 again shoots and misses.

C3, my broken squad with the 8-0 rallies while under DM. A DC-toting Canadian HS running in the open on the south hill is shot down when he 12s on his MC. Other squads running in the open on the south hill pass their MCs. This was another theme during the game. It is hard for the Germans to get MCs unless they can nail guys in open ground, but Walt kept rolling 4s and 5s if I did get a good result. He does get enough troops close to CC and kill my one squad on the hill.

Walt moves some guys adjacent to my 9-1/MMG stack, which does nothing with a 10+2 shot. They end up in Melee.

G3, my squad that broke while firing a PF now rolls a 12 and reduces themselves on a self rally attempt. Who ARE these losers? They are less like Fallschirmjagers and more like mall security guards.

My 9-1 and MMG HS die in Melee, although one of his squads is given a penalty for high-sticking. I now have nothing in the center.

C4, a Canuck 7-0 runs in the open to pick up the unpossessed DC, then runs back to the safety of a wood building. Where he is immediately killed by a sniper. Not only is ASL a cruel, cruel game, but, oh, the irony...

Things continue to deteriorate on the German side. A squad in the G17 building is broken. My rallied squad with the 8-0 breaks again. My broken HS that 12ed itself earlier continues to not rally.

The last turns are grim ones for the Germans, as I continue to hold strong in the G17 building, or continue to be trapped there, depending on who you talk to. I have only two GO squads to defend the rest of the town. Luckily for me, Walt goes back into conservative mode, even though everyone else would be seeing blood on the water. He missed three tank hits by being buttoned up, even though my SAN was only a 3. But he had just lost his 7-0. Plus the fact that in his last game against another opponent, (a Suicide Creek scenario), he lost his 10-3 before he got into LOS of any Japanese, plus his 9-2 was wounded while up to his knees in murky water and crocodiles. So maybe his paranoia has a legitimate cause.

An attempt by one squad to boldly rush past two tanks, reoccupy the church and get more of that delightful sacramental wine was stymied when tank MGs pinned them.

C6, Walt has his needed 8 points, and chooses to hold against an impending German (mostly non-existent) counterattack, rather than charge around and occupy empty buildings. I thought that this was a mistake. He could have gotten into the 3 point P12 building and two or three 1 point buildings with no problem. I only had two squads going into my last turn that had a chance to reoccupy anything.

One of these was my 8-0 and squad, that could take back the 3 point J10 building with a successful CC against a 8-1 and 458. But my squad was broken when they moved adjacent, and dreams of pulling out a miracle win were ended. Even though that would have made for a much, much better AAR.

Fun scenario, but because the Germans have so many buildings to cover, plus setup restrictions, if things go bad early, they may not be able to come back. They really can’t stack, while the Canucks can, getting decent FP firegroups. His 9-2 didn't do much, partly because of bad rolls, partly because he started with shots on the 10 column, which went down to the 6 column when I pinned a squad and he moved on without them.

The tanks are a wild card. I was hoping that they would take the long northern route, and not be in position to shoot me until turn 4. Maybe if I did not place the dummy stack to cover the northern edge, I could have suckered him into entering there.

One German option is to use the HIP MMC to do a last turn rush to retake the church for the win. This may work if the church is unoccupied, and the Bishop doesn’t lock the back door...

My shooting wasn’t terrible, but the hockey stick-wielding Canucks passed most MCs. I killed 1-1/2 squads in the open, and a couple CX HSs in CC. I lost every other CC. If only Walt had given me more opportunities to CC four tired guys at a time...

Both sides had DCs, but did not get to use them. I was hoping to throw mine out the window in G17.1.

With the win, the Canucks give all of the altar boys chocolate bars and Red Wings jerseys. In the excitement, the sacramental wine goes missing...

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure that is the actual amount of food major issues brings with him to play a scenario. Watch out for the turkey “poison” knocking you out by turn 5 ?