AAR - Farmyard Affray - RPT24

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States

I recently changed jobs, and thought I would pass on some job hunting advice. Make sure that your resume lists “The Abilities and Powers given to me by The Dark Lord Sauron.” Also, it should be a parchment paper scroll, to make it stand out from the resumes of mere mortals.

A while back, I played Gunny Thompson in Farmyard Afraid. This was of interest to me because of the odd VCs. Canadian paratroopers in Normandy need to occupy a couple of buildings, then retreat without getting killed by German reinforcements. I appreciate the idea, but it just looked ugly for the Canadians. The Germans can set up two MMGs on Level 1 in a stone building, and have a great field of fire across hectares of grain. The German reinforcements include a Panzer IV, which, if it gets behind the Canadians, will make their withdrawal very difficult.

The Germans start with 4 squads, the Canadians, 6-1/2. The Canadians need to have 7 VP worth of GO units back around where they started at game end. My plan was, instead of charging forward with everybody, then trying to drop back, leave 7 points worth of MMCs behind. “You guys – take a break, eh? Write some letters and cook up some poutine.” I left these guys to skulk in the orchards with the light mortar and a PIAT. The Awesome Assault Force would try to occupy the buildings without them. This consisted of 3 648s, a 9-2, a 8-1, 2 LMGs and a PIAT. Rather than charge through the Cheerio field, they were going to run through the forest on my right flank, using the trail and road.

This was a dicey strategy. A sniper or reinforcements, like a rampaging tank, breaking anyone of the Poutine Platoon would cost me the game. And three assault squads may not provide enough firepower to take the buildings in 3 turns before the reinforcements pour in.

However, spirits high due to the number of bottles of Calvados we had consumed, the Awesome Assault Force set off. The unopposed jog through the woods is uneventful. The troops end up CX and concealed near the Germans.

Then things go wrong. The 8-1, Sgt. Foster and his squad both break from some pretty faint fire. The 9-2’s assault on Y6 goes well due to bad German dice, and I kill one 447 in CC.

Sgt. Foster, having decided that he has had enough of the war, rolls a 12 on his self rally attempt and shoots himself in the leg. The 9-2 and his men, having left the safety of the stone farmhouse, are shot up and the 9-2 and one squad break.

The following turn, the 9-2 and his squad rally. Sgt. Foster rolls a 12 on his self rally attempt - AGAIN - and shoots himself in the other leg. His men, disgusted by his craven attitude, rally themselves.

I moved the light mortar up out of cover in hopes of being able to provide covering smoke. But the sucky Airborne mortar didn’t have the range to hit where I needed smoke.

I manage to get one squad across the road adjacent to a victory building. I just have to get in – I don’t have to hold it. But a MMG dashes their hopes, and the 9-2 and his squad get shot to pieces by a tank shell.

So the game ends quickly, and tragically. I occupied one building hex of the needed two. My plan may have worked if I had better dice, but prying Germans with MMGs out of stone buildings is always going to be difficult.

Sgt. Foster was successfully evacuated. He returned to Canada, where he recovered from his wounds, married his childhood sweetheart, and embarked on a long successful career in the field of otter research.